Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News From Software Acquired by Publisher Kadokawa Games

Nuclear Explosion

DS was far from a bad game and had some great atmosphere in parts but it certainly was overrated as fuck by retards who don't know any better. By comparison and without even going back too far; Gothic is a vastly superior third person ARPG and Arx Fatalis is a much better dungeon crawler.
The combat in Dark Souls is vastly superior to the combat in both of those games. Its combat system is the main reason it gets so much praise.

DefJam101

Arcane
I would place Demons' Souls pretty much on par with the original Gothic if I had to pointlessly rank ARPGs according to overall quality. They're pretty similar games in that they both set out to do a limited number of things, do those things extremely well, and have well-realized worlds that feel genuinely believable during play.

Oddly enough Gothic 2 is also comparable to Dark Souls, being a mechanically-superior sequel with a somewhat less cohesive setting/tone.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gothics combat was good for their time but let's be honest about it: they cannot measure with Dark Souls in this department. The comparison is moot.

Gozma

Arcane
Gothic's combat wasn't good for its time. It's like 95% just zero skill gear/stat check RPG combat unless you want to set aside 20 minutes to tickle an orc to death at level 1.

Dark Souls combat is extremely abstract, gamey, relatively high-skill combat that's completely about the man-machine interface. I think on some level it's inevitable for an action RPG's combat to feel like that if the difficulty is tuned well. Gives me kinda Roqua memories because maybe Dark Souls is the game that tells me an action RPG with combat that works well on its own as gameplay doesn't work as an RPG anymore.

Modron

Arcane
The only thing good about gothic's combat was you could game the character system such that you had 200+ str and finish most combat encounters in ~2 swings. Yes there was some feeling of elation/progression when you acquired armor and then a decent weapon but honestly like most rpgs released in the last 15 years combat was something you waded through to get to the more interesting parts.

Higher Animal

Arcane
This thread is actually a Kodex Klassik chain-gun of stupidity. Nearly half of Codex's active members outed themselves as retards or 2hard4u edgefaggots. Tanimura and Avellone dickriders polluting every thread every chance they get, arbitrary Souls Calibur fanboyism (including a remarkable statement by Iren that the third is the best fighting game on the PS2, countered by the dumbest statement Hobo Elf has ever made that the PS2 is terrible for fighting games when it has the best fighting game ever made in the history of everything), and lots of butthurt and moaning about Kadokawa games and the Souls series. All punctuated, of course, with a discussion about the mechanics of Gothic 1 and 2.

I only tripped over this goldmine of a thread because I used the search function to find information about a recently released, turn based, strategy role playing game. How silly of me to expect the Kodex would have any relevant information about that subject.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
This thread is actually a Kodex Klassik chain-gun of stupidity. Nearly half of Codex's active members outed themselves as retards or 2hard4u edgefaggots. Tanimura and Avellone dickriders polluting every thread every chance they get, arbitrary Souls Calibur fanboyism (including a remarkable statement by Iren that the third is the best fighting game on the PS2, countered by the dumbest statement Hobo Elf has ever made that the PS2 is terrible for fighting games when it has the best fighting game ever made in the history of everything), and lots of butthurt and moaning about Kadokawa games and the Souls series. All punctuated, of course, with a discussion about the mechanics of Gothic 1 and 2.

I only tripped over this goldmine of a thread because I used the search function to find information about a recently released, turn based, strategy role playing game. How silly of me to expect the Kodex would have any relevant information about that subject.
large amounts of butthurt detected

Hobo Elf

Arcane

1 year later and you're still butthurt about your faggy Soul Calibur. No one plays Soul Calibur for any other reason than the waifus lmao.

Higher Animal

Arcane
1 year later and you're still butthurt about your faggy Soul Calibur. No one plays Soul Calibur for any other reason than the waifus lmao.

I tripped over this thread searching for information about natural doctrine. Despite VentilatorOfDoom hail mary to defend his comrades, my butt is toight and unharmed.

Hilarious that you think I believe a SC is the best fighting game ever made. I basically said the opposite in my original post.

Mebbe u should Learn2Read faget.

Archibald

Arcane
Hilarious that you think I believe a SC is the best fighting game ever made. I basically said the opposite in my original post.

Maybe you should actually name the best fighting game in the history of everything. This thread is starting to lack in humor after all.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Maybe you should actually name the best fighting game in the history of everything. This thread is starting to lack in humor after all.

292632-virtua-fighter-4-evolution-playstation-2-screenshot-akira.jpg

Archibald

Arcane
Thats rich. Posting a screenshot hoping that some derps will not recognize the game. Truly, a Higher Animal.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny how the sale of From was causing so much fear and in hindsight it was the best thing it could have happened to the company; Miyazaki as president, Bloodborne as well as a return to basic DS3 and (fingers crossed) maybe a possible return to Tenchu

Archibald

Arcane
Well its hard for us to know since all that stuff is happening in Japan, we get some translations here and there, some press releases but realistically we know very little of what is actually happening there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom