Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck That Shit (replaying MotB instead).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Currently replaying SoZ and having some fun and wondering if I should replay the NWN2 OC or just skip it and replay MotB. I'm pretty positive that I never finished it, most likely got bored or distracted around what I'd guess was about 75% of the way through. Heck, I'm pretty sure I never finished MotB either but I remember this nagging feeling when I first played MotB that I wished I'd finished the oc so I could import my character.

Anyway, can anybody make any convincing arguments for replaying the NWN2 oc? (Also keep in mind I'm not one of the people who hates this engine, UI or camera.)

Morkar Left

There was a mod where your partymembers could die and rest wasn't possible everywhere similar to SoZ. Plus multiclassing was possible. Improved the game a lot by making it challenging at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Check out some of the mods I posted in the Mod Repository Thread (both in OP and at the end of the thread). They make it better.

Can you be specific, dear Infinitron? Like which ones you recommend and why they make it better? What Morkar said sounds nice, btw.

Well, here are the mods I'm using:

Charlie's UI Mod (smaller fonts with more text visible at once and other improvements)
Tony K's Companion AI (non-retarded AI with lots of customization options)
Player1's Feat Fixes (self-explanatoy, linked in OP)
Player1's Spell Fixes (self-explanatory, linked in OP)
Creature Distance Tweaks (makes combat look and feel less clusterfucked)

....and also a large collection of texture upgrade mods that make the game look a whole lot better. Tell me if you want a list of those as well.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't want you to go thread-hunting for me, but yeah a list or links if it's easily available to you would be nice. Have a feeling I'll be finishing up SoZ tonight so would be cool to just go through a checklist when I get home.

Nael

Arcane
Also, just playing the trial is a good reason to go through all the pain.

And the companions are a good enough reason to say fuck it and use a character builder and pretend you actually tortured yourself for all of those hours that you will never get back.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, here are the mods I'm using:

Charlie's UI Mod (smaller fonts with more text visible at once and other improvements)
Tony K's Companion AI (non-retarded AI with lots of customization options)
Player1's Feat Fixes (self-explanatoy, linked in OP)
Player1's Spell Fixes (self-explanatory, linked in OP)
Creature Distance Tweaks (makes combat look and feel less clusterfucked)

....and also a large collection of texture upgrade mods that make the game look a whole lot better. Tell me if you want a list of those as well.

Seconding this list. NWN2 is FANTASTIC with these fixes.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
NWN2 is FANTASTIC with these fixes.

Seriously? Hmmm. I can swallow the bitter pill which is poorly-written companions if the game becomes an interesting tactical challenge.

Wish I could transfer some of the 3,000,000 in gold I have now in SoZ over to the oc. :P

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Yeah but I'm so BOSS with my caravans that I'm reeling in nearly a million every time I freakin' check back in! (not that there's a whole lot I can do with all that scratch...)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah but I'm so BOSS with my caravans that I'm reeling in nearly a million every time I freakin' check back in! (not that there's a whole lot I can do with all that scratch...)

Yeah that was disappointing. Still was fun building my EMPIRE OF CASH!

Gord

Arcane
I agree. neeshka (kleptomaniac) , Casavir (lawful stupid), Bishop (lol I am teh evil), grobnar (annoyance personified) and khelgar (look at me I am dumb), Elanie (sweet treehugger), shandra (sweet people hugger) and qara (edgy as fuck) have no real depth. Only good companions were Sand (matter of opinion I guess) and Ammon Jerro.

Actually Grobnar has a few quite funny scenes thrown in. His class (bard, I think?) never really fitted into my group in the 2 walkthroughs I have done, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nael

Arcane
I agree. neeshka (kleptomaniac) , Casavir (lawful stupid), Bishop (lol I am teh evil), grobnar (annoyance personified) and khelgar (look at me I am dumb), Elanie (sweet treehugger), shandra (sweet people hugger) and qara (edgy as fuck) have no real depth. Only good companions were Sand (matter of opinion I guess) and Ammon Jerro.

Actually Grobnar has a few quite funny scenes thrown in. His class (bard, I think?) never really fitted into my group in the 2 walkthroughs I have done, though.

You have got to be fucking kidding.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Is there a mod that fixes 'disable AI' so that it really doesn't work at all? I'm playing Sozzy right now and god damn I'm raging all the time. AI turned off and still when I select a single character all the others disengage from melee and come running to the selected, I don't know why, to suck his dick?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't play the OC again. Ugh.

Instead get/look for the following modules: Mysteries of Westgate, and Pool of Radiance Remastered.

The former was a premium module (pay), but it's probably "out there" now. The latter is free, and is on NWVault.

There are lots of other modules that many people will claim are equally great, but I guarantee you'll like these two.

Gord

Arcane

You have got to be fucking kidding.

Not at all, played a rogue once, and a sorcerer the other time. Bard somehow never fitted in.

:troll:

Wyrmlord III

Formerly Hot Rod Todd Howard
TwinkieGorilla, my experience with NWN2 OC was very similar to yours. I'd play the game intensely for a week. Then I would leave it for weeks or even months. Then I would come back to it and advance a chapter or two. Then I would again leave the game for months.

In this manner - as you said - I just lost track of what I was doing, why I was doing it, and for whom I was doing. I'd look at the people in my party and think, "Wait, who are these people? When did they join me?" I also tend to skip NPC banter completely, so I had no memory of who had what problems with who and when and for what. I was pretty shocked when someone would start venting their frustrations at me, and I'd think, "WTF?" Reading Captain Shrek's list of NWN2 companions also left me baffled for a second, since I couldn't easily remember who Casavir or Grobnar were. I spent HOURS on this game, and I barely even know of Casavir, Sand, or Grobnar.

This amnesiac style of playing NWN2 led me into a strange cycle - since I did not play the game for a long time, I had no idea what I was doing. Since I had no idea what I was doing, I would not play the game for a long time.

I think it's because NWN2 was about sub-goals behind sub-goals behind goals, and with so many hurdles behind every minor objective, I just couldn't keep track of anything.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Yeah...I'm having a tough time getting excited about playing it. The more I think about it the more I just want to skip it and go straight to MotB.

Nael

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla, my experience with NWN2 OC was very similar to yours. I'd play the game intensely for a week. Then I would leave it for weeks or even months. Then I would come back to it and advance a chapter or two. Then I would again leave the game for months.

In this manner - as you said - I just lost track of what I was doing, why I was doing it, and for whom I was doing. I'd look at the people in my party and think, "Wait, who are these people? When did they join me?" I also tend to skip NPC banter completely, so I had no memory of who had what problems with who and when and for what. I was pretty shocked when someone would start venting their frustrations at me, and I'd think, "WTF?" Reading Captain Shrek's list of NWN2 companions also left me baffled for a second, since I couldn't easily remember who Casavir or Grobnar were. I spent HOURS on this game, and I barely even know of Casavir, Sand, or Grobnar.

This amnesiac style of playing NWN2 led me into a strange cycle - since I did not play the game for a long time, I had no idea what I was doing. Since I had no idea what I was doing, I would not play the game for a long time.

I think it's because NWN2 was about sub-goals behind sub-goals behind goals, and with so many hurdles behind every minor objective, I just couldn't keep track of anything.

Honestly that is the best way to LARP MotB. A person with amnesia.

I still wish you could kill companions...

before the final fight

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom