Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fun with Pierre Begue, creator of Knights of the Chalice

deuxhero

Arcane
You need a clear line to charge, but the grid is an abstraction (The characters can charge in more than 8 directions).

Here is the relevevent OGL rules

Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge.

A line is a corner of a space to another corner.

That's what I THINK is going on anyways, didn't play KotC because the graphics in the demo had such an odd prospective it hurt to look at.

edit: Picture form

6owtJ2X.png

As long as all those black lines have nothing in their way, you can charge (actually working it out like this just makes me confused, as the guy south of you should be stopping your charge. Is he dead/dying/paralysed or something?).

(one a related note, "line" spells like Lightning Bolt work on a similar corner to corner "line")

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I see. Thanks for the explanation. Also, why would the guy at the south stop my charge? he's no where near them.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm referring to the mace wielding one (one of your guys) in blue and a white cloak directly next to you, not the guy with a shield in red in the south east.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
So, uh..3 questions

1. If one of my guy is TOTALLY dead (not just unconcious).. Is there a cleric\temple somewhere where I can revive him?

The sorcerer in the knights' tower sells resurrection scrolls. (5th level cleric spell, iirc). (just had to deal with this yesterday myself) They're a bit pricey if you're just starting out though, around 6000 gold.

(if you're not opposed to exploiting a bit, there's a guy who'll play dice with you, for 50 gold a game. Just save the game and spam 1), to play as many games as you can. The random draw seems mostly balanced in the player's favour, I won 4000 gold in a couple of minutes.)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
If you have crafting, I guess. ;) Still new to the game, only started playing on Friday.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About the dead guy, I found a cleric in one of the towns to the east.. He revived my mage for me. Didn't cost me too much, either

Koschey

Arcane
There should also be a dwarven merchant on the tower's ground floor offering healing services. He's called Gimrig or something like that.

Crafting requires expending both gold and experience points and selling prices in most cases lie slightly below crafting cost, so it's cheaper and more flexible than buying equipment, but doesn't break the economy.

DraQ

Arcane
Hehehe, Delicious Drama.

I hadn't even heard of BoTS at all- anyone liked it?
People who hate video games possibly.

It's pretty much Dune 2, except bad - ugly, far more primitive and without the setting.

The only place BotS would fit in is between Minesweeper and Solitaire.
Pretty much this. I can't see anyone playing it willingly even if the only alternative would be replaying Dune 2 to the end of their days.

mid-to-late
Nope.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
fuck that, would make the game too easy, next you'll want redalert 'evasive maneuvers' button (which is hilarious nonsense in retrospect, tanks dodging AT rounds, which is faster and why).

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Last edited:

Declinator

Arbiter
fuck that, would make the game too easy

You seriously think that it's better to not be able to choose multiple units? The thing that is basically the single most important improvement in RTS games since Dune 2 itself came around?

The fact that you cannot choose multiple units is also pretty much the only reason why I don't replay Dune 2. Not because it makes it more difficult but because it makes it infinitely more tedious.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
All this menu based unit commands and selection is popamole anyways. In my day, we had to fly our personal aircraft over the unit, pick it up, and give it orders directly before dropping it off! Harrumph.

DraQ

Arcane
Not really. It's just one of the factors that goes with the "RPG fans don't really have very high standards for their games."

And PB didn't even create his own system for the game, he's using an already established system. He doesn't even seem to really grasp the flaws and balacing issues of the system, seeing as how he left vanilla Fighters as-is in KoTC1 in a D&D game that goes up to high levels (and he needed some help with some of the changes he made in KoTC2 judging from the forum posts).

edit: Just to clarify: if you make something like a fighting game, you need to have the technical aspects extremely tight ALONG with having graphics that are considered "good." Fighting games fans have a ridiculous high standard when it comes to games that they patronize which leads to terrible practices like DLC character because the cost/reward ratio of making these are really low.

If you make a wargame, you definitely need to have the gameplay down pat, while you probably don't need good graphics, so I'll give them around "mid-high" standards for its fans.

RPG fans don't need good graphics, and they don't even seem to need good gameplay at times, considering most of the time, RPG combat is degenerate and "solved" easily with a handful of classes or spells dominant. Most strategy game won't get away with having dominant strategies like that.
:what:
You're saying this as if RPGs, even old ones, weren't the absolute pinnacle of cereberal gaming they obviously are.
:balance:
:derpgcodex:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'd buy a copy of KotC for 15 potato, no more.

It would be cool if someone from the Codex would write a honest review of his RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom