Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game footage from upcoming FPS Fallout 3

Black

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Wesp5 said:
And regarding the game as a FPS, show me one that is as open world as FO3 is supposed to be!

Oblivion.
It was a First-Person Stabber. Same deal.
Or first-person slasher- oh the choices!
And consequences.

Mareus

Magister
Black said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Wesp5 said:
And regarding the game as a FPS, show me one that is as open world as FO3 is supposed to be!

Oblivion.
It was a First-Person Stabber. Same deal.
Or first-person slasher- oh the choices!
And consequences.

Oblivion had more choices than that. You could smash things too. We have to be objective here.

Shoelip

Arbiter
There wasn't any stabbing in Oblivion. They left out thrusting animations so that the tipless weapons wouldn't look stupider than the tipped ones while using the same exact animations. And of course since they left out spears they didn't need them

Mareus

Magister
Shoelip said:
There wasn't any stabbing in Oblivion. They left out thrusting animations so that the tipless weapons wouldn't look stupider than the tipped ones while using the same exact animations. And of course since they left out spears they didn't need them

:lol: Yeah that's right. I almost forgot about that. So Oblivion is First-Person smasher/slasher. This really sounds stupid, but somehow it fits with Oblivion. :lol:

DoppelG

Scholar
pkt-zer0 said:
It's pretty sad that they butchered Fallout so they could make an FPS game that isn't even very good. This is atrocious.
Phantasmal said:
Haha, did anyone else notice they even used the exact same wind sounds from Oblivion? Listen closely to the sound of wind rustling through trees, while there are no trees present.
Heh, neat.

Actually, i don't think its sad, for me atleast, i more feel like expressing a "duh" instead of a :( . If Bethesda actually did try and make a nice Fallout sequel and then obviously failed, that would be sad, it really would.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Mareus said:
Shoelip said:

:lol: Yeah that's right. I almost forgot about that. So Oblivion is First-Person smasher/slasher. This really sounds stupid, but somehow it fits with Oblivion. :lol:

You can shoot with bows and spells as well, so technically it's a First Person Smasher/Slasher/Shooter with RPG elements. Say it without pronouncing the /s.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Shoelip said:
Mareus said:
Shoelip said:

You can shoot with bows and spells as well, so technically it's a First Person Smasher/Slasher/Shooter with RPG elements. Say it without pronouncing the /s.

Actually, with Oblivion comes the necessity to create a new genre... The FPG: First Person Game.

For games which include elements of 2 or more genres, none of which stand out on their own, none of which are very good and which, when combined still fucking suck but ultimately produce an end result that can be described (unequivocally) as a GAME. In first person.

It's honest, folks.

All hail Bethesda, the King of FPGs.

Wesp5

Arcane
MasPingon said:
Wesp5 said:
You know what? I think you guys just want to hate this game :)! I've never played FO and FO2 and I admit that I came from the FPS side to the FPS/RPG hybrids

Then what the fuck are you doing here?

Well, I'm here because I played Bloodlines and I'm involved even a bit more with it ;). I think it is regarded as quite a good RPG/FPS hybrid so why couldn't FO3 be similar? Of course it could end up a mess, but Bloodlines showed that a combination of FPS and RPG is indeed possible!

Shoelip

Arbiter
Relayer71 said:
Shoelip said:
Mareus said:
Shoelip said:

Actually, with Oblivion comes the necessity to create a new genre... The FPG: First Person Game.

For games which include elements of 2 or more genres, none of which stand out on their own, none of which are very good and which, when combined still fucking suck but ultimately produce an end result that can be described (unequivocally) as a GAME. In first person.

It's honest, folks.

I don't know if it's just because I'm sleepy but that post seems very funny to me.

EDIT: Damn post ninjas.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Relayer71 said:
Shoelip said:
Mareus said:
Shoelip said:

It's honest, folks.

Oblivion is definitely a FPLS (first person larping simulator). It was intended for people who are so socially repugnant that they can't even get other real nerds to LARP with them. Kind of like second life, without the scariness of other real people.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Wesp5 said:
Well, I'm here because I played Bloodlines and I'm involved even a bit more with it ;). I think it is regarded as quite a good RPG/FPS hybrid so why couldn't FO3 be similar? Of course it could end up a mess, but Bloodlines showed that a combination of FPS and RPG is indeed possible!

Wait, you've been working on this game for such a long time, and actually don't know everyone HATES the combat portions of the game? I'm pretty sure most gamers endured the combat because the rest of the game was so good. Put another way, if you released a new alternate mod that converted the game into a well balanced turn based iso version of the same game, people would consider you a god, and the game would probably jump to the top 5 list of most posters here.

Texas Red

Whiner
Wesp5 said:
MasPingon said:
Wesp5 said:
You know what? I think you guys just want to hate this game :)! I've never played FO and FO2 and I admit that I came from the FPS side to the FPS/RPG hybrids

Bloodlines was developed by Troika and it shows. Oblivion was developed by Bethesda and it shows.

Another question: why don't you just download both of FOs and play them? Most people here would give away their souls to play FOs without memory.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What others have said is true. You had more choices in oblivion, like smashing skulls with blunt weapons, such as axes.

Mareus

Magister
Wesp5 said:
MasPingon said:
Wesp5 said:

There were games before Bloodlines that tried that and succeeded. I ll just mention Deus Ex and System Shock. The first game I remember that tried something similar was Cybermage from 1995. It was more of FPS, but it tried to combine other genres and even RPG elements. Media spit shit on it and raised Dukem Nukem into heaven, but for me it was the best FPS I have ever played even until today.

Lingwe

Liturgist
You had better be able to turn that VATS shot mode off. I'm sick of it already. Of course knowing Bethesda (and their fanboys) I can already guess what the answer will be: "If you don't like it then just use real time. VATS is optional you know."

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because their target audience hates turn-based games.

spiwak

Novice
SpaceKungFuMan said:
Wesp5 said:
Put another way, if you released a new alternate mod that converted the game into a well balanced turn based iso version of the same game, people would consider you a god, and the game would probably jump to the top 5 list of most posters here.

That all wouldn't be necessary. Apart from the fact it already is in my top 5 just for the quality of writing, all I would really want is a cleaned-up end game and balanced combat.

A user named cat

Lingwe said:
You had better be able to turn that VATS shot mode off. I'm sick of it already. Of course knowing Bethesda (and their fanboys) I can already guess what the answer will be: "If you don't like it then just use real time. VATS is optional you know."

Is that what that shit is called? VATS? I haven't been reading up on the game mechanics or anything, just laughing at screenshots and now this video. But yeah that's what I alluded to earlier, those automated shooting scenes looked insanely repetitive. At least use different fucking camera angles or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom