Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Gamedec - cyberpunk detective RPG set in virtual worlds

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Aug 8, 2019.

1. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2974046742654606137

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Comrade Goby Magister

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    Promises a lot, we will see...

^ Top  
  3. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/917720/announcements/detail/2974046742657953143

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    There are many games in the gamedecverse. Imagine a game in which you can literally die. The neurons in your brain are bombarded with pain and critical medical data, so your brain thinks you're getting the injuries your character does in-game. If you get killed in the game, you die in the real world. A real treat for thrill-seekers. There are sim-date games, farm games, star-citizen-like games. You name it, Gamedecverse probably has it.

^ Top  
  5. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2975175180232054221

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Game looks interesting but character models and art are too plastic.

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2975175180239036731

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2969546947798983344

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Are deductions a one-time things? I mean, if the solution is set in stone, then there is very little reason for you to make a different deduction. Or is the world reactive enough to "shape" the crime on the fly (or there are "sets" of crimes the game picks per playthrough), so you actually have to think about it next time, when you make a different character?

^ Top  
  11. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    Jesus Christ my computer's getting old.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    From what I've seen so far in the previews, there is a "correct" deduction out of all the ones that are offered, so the game's crimes are not "procedurally generated" or something like that. However:

-You don't get absolute confirmation regarding whether the deduction you reached is the "correct" one until after the case is closed, or in some cases not even then.

-Selecting different deductions seems to open up unique paths in each crime investigation, even if these deductions are the "wrong" ones, so a "wrong" deduction does not result in absolute failure or a game over. Even if you reach the "wrong deductions" for the entirety of a crime, and you reach some kind of resolution in the end, I think that the game doesn't end and you just proceed to the next investigation. Meaning that some things might play out differently depending on how you choose to interpret each crime.

-Each character/skillset has different means of approaching each crime, so even if the deductions you make end up being the same across different playthroughs, how you reach these deductions seems to be from a little to drastically different depending on your character's skills.

-I might be mistaken on this, but I get the impression that you can't discover 100% of each crime's specific conditions and events on a single character/skillset. During the first preview, for example, I'm pretty sure I did everything right and absolutely discovered the "correct" chain of events and deductions for the crime, but in the "debriefing" phase after the crime was solved, the game pretty much told me that "you didn't find everything there was to find - 3.5 out of 5 stars". Meaning that there are "choices" to be made in the game even outside the deductions system, apart from investigation paths that are locked behind skillchecks so that they can only be pursued by characters with specific skills.

I guess more definite info on that will come up as we reach the release date.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/5144786299697391158

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. RaptorRex888 Learned

RaptorRex888
    Hope this turns out good :salute:

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2959415117270498652

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lycanwarrior Educated

lycanwarrior
    Man these smaller indie companies (Encased, Gamedec, etc.) seem to be wanting to commit financial suicide by releasing their games too closely due to PF WotR.

Well, hopefully they will still do well irregardless...

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    maybe pozfinder can just fuck off.. tired of every fucking thread around here acting as if it's the end all be all of RPGs and nothing should ever release unless it's been out for over a year or something in which case the line will be "OmG i caNT BeliEve ThEy ArE RElEaSiNg This GaME So ClOse To POzFiNdER DLC!!!!"

• retadred x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • meh x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Keshik Arcane

Keshik
    Non neglibile amount of people that this appeals to more than Pathfinder, I'd have to imagine. Being cheaper also helps

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    Various bits of information on the game that I gathered in a PR presentation a few minutes ago:

-Choices we make during cases open or close possible paths in later cases. For example, we can accept to join a Clan during an investigation, and later on when we encounter that Clan again in a different case we have an easier time dealing with them because we are a member, but at the same time that closes various "subterfuge" paths because everyone knows who we are.

-There are no "good" or "bad" endings, only different ones. The devs were very specific that they didn't want to follow the typical design path that "someone who solves all the cases gets the good ending, and someone who roleplays "the stupidest gamedec in the world" gets the bad ending", so essentially your choices in the game affect which endings you can pursue, but none of them are "good" or "bad" per se.

-On the same note, there are also no "Right or Wrong" ways to pursue an investigation as far as the game is concerned, only different paths that branch the game in different ways. You can, of course, solve each case the "correct" way if you work towards this, but even selecting "wrong" deductions leads to distinct gameplay options.

-Average duration is about 12 hours, more or less. But replayability is naturally quite high.

-They have plans for DLC that adds more Virtualia.

Oh and

-EVERYONE asks them if they drew inspiration from Disco Elysium, but apparently they've been designing the game to be a non-combat RPG since before DE came out, and mainly drew inspiration from PnP games (as well as the Gamedec novels, of course).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    Basically a more extensive version of Lacuna + Disco Elysium (!?)

Edit: This game is stretching the meaning of what is a RPG.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    But what is an RPG?

Still, I am going to look into that Lacuna game. Could be interesting as there aren't enough ACTUAL detective games (which involve deduction). Thanks.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    A game where you play a role...

• Participation Award x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.