Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

Reinhardt

Arcane
Basically if you want everyone you must spend 3 turns on Leazas.

H3XM45T3R

Barely Literate
Just curious if anyone knows if theres already a Translation in progress? I really love the Rance Series but I feel like it has no use playing it without any Translation because I´d miss almost the whole story. Any news regarding that would be great! Thanks in advance

Jason Liang

Arcane
Just curious if anyone knows if theres already a Translation in progress? I really love the Rance Series but I feel like it has no use playing it without any Translation because I´d miss almost the whole story. Any news regarding that would be great! Thanks in advance
For Rance X, the only thing you can expect in the immediate future is a basic GUI translation, which is not that useful since many of the buttons and menus already have English. I have not heard of anyone working on anything else on /haniho/.

Quite a few of us Rance series fans on this website have played through Rance X with only machine translation for story. It's not ideal but you can generally understand what's going on in the plot. It's not THAT much worse than the Sengoku Rance fan translation, if you use Atlas for the Japanese-> English dictionary.

The general impression is that machine translation is adequate for the story, but if you have trouble recognizing Japanese characters, you'll have trouble playing the game since you'll have a harder time figuring out what each character can do. The Alicesoft wiki has a basic ability translation guide, and I hope to fully translate the character gallery eventually.

My only suggestion is that you play as much of the series as you can before you play Rance X, including Rance 02, Rance 3/ 03, Rance VI, and Sengoku Rance. Also if you have enough patience, play Rance Quest Magnum with machine translation first as well, since many important characters are introduced in that game. Kichikou Rance can also be helpful but it might also spoil some of the story for you.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Jason any hints for how to get over 1,000,000 troops?

I did the event that added 200K but the earliest I could start was around Turn 12-13 which gave me only 1-2 turns to do this. I reloaded and tried to do things differently in previous saves but I keep failing to get a high enough number. I think it really damaged me when one country managed to liberate itself first or I liberated it first (same effect) the troop count reset to 1000 for that country. And its very hard to get all countries to liberate simultaneously on the same turn.

Any idea which is the best strategy??

Jason Liang

Arcane
Jason any hints for how to get over 1,000,000 troops?

I did the event that added 200K but the earliest I could start was around Turn 12-13 which gave me only 1-2 turns to do this. I reloaded and tried to do things differently in previous saves but I keep failing to get a high enough number. I think it really damaged me when one country managed to liberate itself first or I liberated it first (same effect) the troop count reset to 1000 for that country. And its very hard to get all countries to liberate simultaneously on the same turn.

Any idea which is the best strategy??
You didn't lose troops when the country liberated. Instead, you did a base event where troops from liberated countries reinforce non-liberated countries. They didn't disappear, they just moved elsewhere.

Land invasion is tough with 0 CP but it's not so hard at CP 6+. In general, if you double supressed at least 2 countries in the first 4 turns and completed Shangri-la on turn 5, you should be able to liberate all 4 countries by end of turn 11, which gives you enough time to get enough troops.

Last edited:

KingDoofus

Scholar
Some of the endings/events really require you to begin preparing for them basically at the start of the game. As Jason pointed out, Land Invasion is something you'll want to be setting up in the first few turns. Similarly, defeating Warg - especially if you're planning on getting the Miki special event - requires you to be planning which troops you'll be using against her immediately. If you're going into a run and know what you want to accomplish (and it's difficult), start asking yourself even before the run begins "what do I need to be looking to do to make this easier? What events/routes/characters should I be looking for?"

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Ok thanks. Do you know how to beat the Fort Route quest "Search for special materials"? Its really weird, I get this quest in the Prepare stage and I beat all the enemies but I fail to clear it, it gives me forced choice to fail it. I then get the same quest in the Strategy Stage and I try again and I still fail it! How do you beat this quest? The wiki doesn't give me any answers just saying to beat it to get the "Brave" quest but that doesnt show up at all since I keep failing it.

Update: Nevermind I figured it out. Who would have thought my greed got the best of me lol

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
What events/routes/characters should I be looking for?"

Now this is a conundrum. Outside of story given characters or event given characters, all the other characters pretty much are randomly generated. I am conflicted over doing New Games with "All characters selected" option or not but I think its worth it since having a chance at a late game character being dropped in Turn 1-2 could make all the difference.

Jason and KingDoofus can you tell me if I am wrong when I assume the only way to collect all the characters is to do a new game if your run doesn't drop them? This makes for extremely time consuming farming where if you don't get the drops you want in one run, you have to scrap it and literally restart from the beginning again. Is there a better way to get drops for the character you need? This is assuming you don't have Purupet (I didn't even notice a difference with Purupet than without)

I got most of the naked cards but I still keep missing the extra or super rare cards for the characters...

What events/routes/characters should I be looking for?"

Now this is a conundrum. Outside of story given characters or event given characters, all the other characters pretty much are randomly generated. I am conflicted over doing New Games with "All characters selected" option or not but I think its worth it since having a chance at a late game character being dropped in Turn 1-2 could make all the difference.

For a noob getting character with Assassinate (Freya), Sleep (mainly Eleanor Ran), Poison (Kou) or Curse (mainly the Kalar) is super useful. There are a few timed fights against "normal" mobs you need to beat very fast or fail the mission, instakill attacks are the "cheat". You can combine poison, curse and sleep for some bossfights using a defensive approach.

With Random Cards selected you can get OP cards like Arios Theoman, but whatever you use make sure to keep them levelled (less of an issue with those dealing status effects).

Rance4ever!

Literate
Supposing you beat arc 2

I don't think it's especifically metioned, but she essentially used it to have an audience with Ludo-Rathwon (the Creator God) and convinced him that the world would be more fun if he lived it as a mortal. El Mofus (the MC of Arc 2) is essentially Not-Jesus (and iirc is also supposed to be the RL player).

Is likelly that Crook has been playing with everyone (Mankind, Gods, Majin and Rance) as a way of dealing with the Ludo issue.

If this is right then does this mean that:

Crook did what Amu failed to set out to accomplish in Rance Quest Magnum? Amu wanted to break the cycle of Ludo Rathowm and Crook did the job for her? Crook basically had the same idea as Amu but planned it out long term and without so many casualties like Amu's plan would have caused? Is this interpretation correct? And if so and Ludo Rathowm turned into a mere human, what happened to the Giant Whale holding up the Rance World intact? Since this is not a planet but it relies on the body of Ludo Rathowm to maintain its existence what happens to that "foundation" when the whale is transformed into a human? Nothing would be holding up the world then, was that ever explained?

For a noob getting character with Assassinate (Freya), Sleep (mainly Eleanor Ran), Poison (Kou) or Curse (mainly the Kalar) is super useful. There are a few timed fights against "normal" mobs you need to beat very fast or fail the mission, instakill attacks are the "cheat". You can combine poison, curse and sleep for some bossfights using a defensive approach.

With Random Cards selected you can get OP cards like Arios Theoman, but whatever you use make sure to keep them levelled (less of an issue with those dealing status effects).

I found out there is a small factor you can do to increase your chances of getting more card varieties. I read on the wiki that doing the Kill Medusa mission drops the Magic Wedding Dress card that allows you to fight random battles, which sounds good on paper but it still means you got to grind 3-4x more with random fights that could drop rare cards as much as they could drop common/average cards.

What I'm trying to do is collect all of the 1100 cards in this game so I can complete the collection and get all the events. Its a challenge to say the least.
Why did Alicesoft make their last game into one of the shortest ever at 15 turns?? Even Rance 9 had better grinding opportunities and was "longer" to say the least. Its quite strange they force you to replay it over and over again to (maybe) grab a missing card that did not drop in the last run. The Japan Youkai cards were the most difficult to get, you only get 1 Japan mission that increases their drop chances and it has only a handful of battles/chests that could drop them (and usually don't).

Its also very tough to get the Tiny Reach achievement, I can't figure out how to do it and which turns to do those on. Have you gotten the Tiny Reach and the 5 Heroes achievements??
Any advice?

Jason Liang

Arcane
This thread is not really appropriate to discuss story spoilers, thanks! (Dark Knight, please edit your post by adding spoiler tags, ty)

Again, we have a general Rance thread in the jrpg forum, and even there please have the courtesy to use spoiler tags.

dark knight

Literate
are there really 7 billion cards? As far as i know there are only about 1200 of them
Alright! Even though the game's been out a while, I thought I'd give a little bit of a primer on roster setups. There are roughly 7 billion cards to unlock in Rance X (1 for every human being on Earth) but making an active roster of 7 can sometimes be difficult. So I thought I'd give a little advice on what I look for when creating a team. You may want to use the Alicesoft wiki for reference if you have no idea who these people are.

This is mostly for bosses/difficult fights, as you'll probably be focused on leveling up cards for easier fights. Also, this is mostly for when you've unlocked 7 spots - the principles of team composition still apply, but you're much more limited in what kinds of contributions you can prioritize (you may only have 4 slots!). Anyway!:

2-3 damage dealers. This is all about maximizing AP usage. Having a team of all damage dealers makes no sense: if Character A hits for 20k damage for 2AP and Character B hits for 10k damage for 2AP, unless they've got some passive abilities, using AP on Character B's damage is a waste. This is going to vary from mission to mission, since element bonuses and faction bonuses can give you anywhere from 50% to 150% damage boosts and should absolutely be taken into account. Other than Rance, this means there really isn't one or two top damage dealers. Still, you'll see some familiar faces in this role: Rance, Rolex, Rick, Full Kalar, Kenshin, anyone from the Demon Faction once they've powered up. This also largely depends on your most powerful factions: if you don't have many cards from Zeth, they won't be hitting very hard. Also, it depends on who they're competing against from the same faction: Kenshin is a pretty good hitter, but unfortunately she's competing with THE KILLER DANGO.

% based attacks. For early in a fight, when enemy hp can be extremely high. Basically, poison and curse. Poison hits for 5% of an enemy's current hp every turn and curse hits for 20% of an enemy's current hp after 3 turns (+1 turn for every time you've used it). There are a few options on who to use here, but usually your best options will be Kou for poison and Pastel or Vivid Kalar for curse. A special mention goes to Papaya Server, who can double poison's effectiveness to 10% per turn. The usefulness of these abilities wanes as the fight goes on, so it's probably worth switching these characters out later in the fight.

Enemy buff removal. Some fights can revolve around enemy buffs (flight, Babolot's eating habits) or just make things much more difficult (+100% damage, +100% defense, etc.). You've got plenty of options, some of whom remove buffs as a skill or as part of their attack: Miracle, Magic, Arlcoate, Sachiko, Urza, etc. Oruoure and Crane will remove up to 4 buffs with their skills. Who you choose among those will depend on other factors but it's usually worth it to have someone on hand who can remove these at a moment's notice.

Team buffing. Lots of options here as there's lots of different buffs. Tactician buffs raise damage by 10% per stack (like from Kou or Arlcoate), defense buffs raise damage reduction (like from Caesar), attack skills raise attack damage (like from Kenshin), healing skills can raise the auto-healing rate (like Horus Queen), etc., etc., etc. There's too many to name and what you choose to have on hand will depend on what challenges you face in the fight, but it's almost always a worthwhile use of AP.

Passives. This gets its own section. You'll only have so much AP to spend, so having someone who can contribute by doing nothing but sitting there is a huge boost. Here's some examples but again, there's too many to name them all: Sachiko gives you a +20% defense boost, Cafe gives you a +20% attack boost, Papaya boosts the rate of auto-healing, Arlcoate give you tactician bonuses, Nunuhara Cabbage makes element bonuses happen every turn, etc., etc., etc. Take note of characters that can contribute even when you ignore them.

Healers/debuff removers. Not an immediate priority in most fights (and if you're kicking ass you won't need them at all), but as the fight drags on you'll need to know who you can switch in if low hp becomes an issue. These same characters can often also help you with a second issue, enemy debuffs. Most fights won't feature these but some can revolve around them: Medusa can permanently turn characters to stone, Hawzel can hit you with a debuff that makes fire damage do extra, etc. You've got a good amount of options: Sill, Japan's Mikos, Agireda, Copandon Dott, Mi Lordring, even Rance's maids if you get desperate. Ruberan Tser can remove debuffs at no AP cost (and she's not the only one). You won't always feature these characters but you'd better know who they are when things go south.

Wild cards. Again: 7 billion cards to choose from. Plenty of them have fairly unique skills that may be helpful depending on the enemy. Eleanor can put enemies to sleep (even bosses). Ninjas can prevent enemy actions. Crook can put up a damage shield against 1 enemy attack. Atago McCart can give you extra AP. 7 billion options. Go nuts here.

Most Important: PEOPLE WHO CAN DO MULTIPLE THINGS OUTLINED ABOVE. This is what is going to separate your top characters from your average/mediocre characters. For example: Cream has a 20% chance to passively give you a tactician bonus. She can also actively give you one at the cost of 1AP. Compare this to Arlcoate: she has a 40% chance to to passively give you a tactician bonus (60% in one of her alt cards). She also has an attack that removes enemy buffs (it's even ranged so it'll hit flyers). Arlcoate checks three boxes well (passives, buffs, remove enemy buffs). Cream checks one/two (kinda) poorly (buffs). This is the most important part of team composition - who is helping you in multiple ways.

Extra Bonus: Naked cards. Because why not?

Here's an example of a generic full team that checks many of these boxes:

Arlcoate (passives, buffs, remove enemy buffs)
Atago McCart (Wild Card extra AP, has a useful naked card too!)
Dark Heron (Wild Card enemy attack prevention, damage shield)
Kou (passives, buffs, % based damage)
Pastel (Damage on White Element, % based damage)
Caesar (Damage on Red Element, Passives, Buffs)
Rance (GAHAHAHAHA)

On hand for healing: switch out Kou for Mikos/Agireda once enemy hp so low that poison no longer worthwhile.

Honestly, there's a million ways to put your team together. I wrote this up because there are certain things you'll want to look for (and if you don't speak Japanese, this becomes harder), but tinkering with putting your team together is half of the enjoyment of this game. Just remember to play around and have fun.

Rance4ever!

Literate
are there really 7 billion cards? As far as i know there are only about 1200 of them

Dude Jason was being sarcastic. Something tells me he had as much "fun" as I am having right now trying to grind/kill myself playing a game and then dumping it and replaying until I get all the card art dropped and saved (and thats not counting all the save scum/replays for getting all the meal ticket events.) Which makes me wonder what happens when you get all the meal ticket events and you checked the box to not replay them but you still keep getting meal ticket drops?

Here are all the cards in the game. Not all of them are obtainable some are just debugs. I really could use a cheat code to just unlock all cards and meal tickets! Anyone???

http://alicesoft.wikia.com/wiki/Rance_X:Cards

KingDoofus

Scholar
Thank you Jason. There can be only 1 King of the Doofuses.

(And yes, I was exaggerating. There's only 6 billion cards)

King Diamond

Literate
Hi, i'm new here and i really need some help with this game. I wanna know how to get the "Demon King from Another World" ending. I already got miki and did her base event, then miracle's mission but always send me to the world of the polygon monsters. Plesae help me, i don't know what to do.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hi, i'm new here and i really need some help with this game. I wanna know how to get the "Demon King from Another World" ending. I already got miki and did her base event, then miracle's mission but always send me to the world of the polygon monsters. Plesae help me, i don't know what to do.
The regular Miracle mission is a prep phase mission, while the mission to send Miki to another world is an operations phase (red) mission. Afaik if you have Miki there's no other requirement for it to appear, but it has lower priority than many other operations phase missions so if you have more than 8 other missions that's probably why it doesn't show up. Also it disappears once you are committed to another ending route like any of the A ending routes. Finally, you might need to trigger a ??? scene where Chaos and Nikkou talk about Miki first, but I can't confirm if it's necessary.

King Diamond

Literate
The regular Miracle mission is a prep phase mission, while the mission to send Miki to another world is an operations phase (red) mission. Afaik if you have Miki there's no other requirement for it to appear, but it has lower priority than many other operations phase missions so if you have more than 8 other missions that's probably why it doesn't show up. Also it disappears once you are committed to another ending route like any of the A ending routes. Finally, you might need to trigger a ??? scene where Chaos and Nikkou talk about Miki first, but I can't confirm if it's necessary.
Thank for your help Jason, so i have to do it asap after getting miki. Well, i'll give it a try and see what happens.

Sanatozaki

Barely Literate
Hi guys , im on turn 15 and always meet with DK Kayblis , anyone know what did i miss? thanks in advance :)

KingDoofus

Scholar
Sanatozaki, basically you missed all the endings. Turn 15 is the hard ending to the game - DK Kayblis invades and you either win or lose. To get one of the other endings you have to start their conditions at some point in an earlier turn: start the sea invasion, get Rance Castle moving, etc. Some of these endings require you to do them as early as turn 10. All of them will require you to fulfill certain conditions much earlier than turn 15, such as not rescuing Kamilla on turn 5, take one of the branching routes on turn 8, etc. The wiki has all the conditions for each ending. You can experiment around to see what different choices will get you or you can just check there to see ahead of time what the ending conditions are.

King Diamond

Literate
Finally i only got 4 endings left and again need some help, how to get the endings "From the Sky" and "Underground Strategy"?

I read that to unlock "From the Sky" ending i need to do some popins mission but the only one i remenber appears in the Operation Phase of Turn 8.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Finally i only got 4 endings left and again need some help, how to get the endings "From the Sky" and "Underground Strategy"?

I read that to unlock "From the Sky" ending i need to do some popins mission but the only one i remenber appears in the Operation Phase of Turn 8.
From the sky unlocks once you do another "A" ending (most likely From the Sea). Underground Strategy requires losing to Redeye on turn 8

King Diamond

Literate

From the sky unlocks once you do another "A" ending (most likely From the Sea). Underground Strategy requires losing to Redeye on turn 8
so first i need to achieve another "A" ending then begin a new game, and in this new game must appear the route to "from the sky"?

and for "Underground Strategy", do i need to conquer shambhala? because when i conquer it, redeye always attack at the beginning of turn 8 before the preparation phase. Or do i need to lose in the operation phase of turn 8?

is that it or i just misunderstood everything? Correct me if i'm wrong and thanks for your help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom