Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that spark joy

Testicules

Educated
I just discovered Archolos exists and, as a result, I'm having an absolute blast playing Gothic again, like more fun than I've had playing a game in years. This got me thinking about the fact that:

1. The older I get the less free time I have
2. I still play video games
3. I'd rather use my limited free time to play games I truly love

So I was thinking about games that were a genuine joy to play. Not an exhaustive list, but they include:

• Gothic/Gothic II
  • Deus Ex
  • VtM: Bloodlines
  • World of Xeen
  • MM7
  • Risen
  • Ghost of a Tale
  • Half-Life/Half-Life 2
  • Twinsen's Odyssey
  • Majora's Mask
  • Psychonauts
  • GTA: Vice City
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Witcher 1
  • Braid
  • Bastion
Some of these games are codex favorites, some (e.g. HL2) not so much. In any case, these are all games that I loved playing at the time and actually stuck with me after the fact. I've sunk a lot of hours into plenty of excellent games (Fallout, PS:T, Shadowrun, Morrowind, HoMM series) and tried and failed to get past the beginning of others (BG2, Arcanum, System Shock 2). These games were objectively good, but they didn't have that "joy" factor that both sucked me in and made me retroactively enjoy them years down the road.

I don't know if there's a common thread connecting the games on that list, but if anyone has had similar experiences, fire away with recommendations.

The Twisted Metal games always make me happy when I replay them. Love the character selection, love the action, love the black comedy endings.

spectre

Arcane
I like to replay Tyrian whenever I want to shoot some stuff.
Homm3 hotseat with my kid also sparks joy.
And Ori and the Blind Forest is a very feelgood game overall.

Recently, I've gotten myself a heavily discounted Inquisitor Martyr and while it does get repetitive after a time, it does deliver the fundamentals:
heavy bolter fire hitting ass and leg, by the emprah, it's heavan. And then the heretic explodes into bloody chunks and it does spark joy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are many Codex favorites that I could mention, but two games that make me smile are Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. We played them in 4 player local co-op. We were laughing, yelling, screaming at each other, and having a great time throughout both games. One of few games where all 4 players did everything in their power to make time for. We made any kind of excuse to get together and play this at my place. The wives were not impressed and said that we were all acting like kids. That's the whole point!

Testicules

Educated
cuck

do what you want instead of what you're expected

That's exactly what I do. I like to hike, play rec league sports, lift heavy shit, read books, do crossword puzzles, and watch faggy TV shows with my girlfriend. I also like to play video games, but not to the exclusion of all else. So maybe it's not that my free time has declined, I've just developed other hobbies such that my vidya time is at a premium.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel this way about many games. But if I could play only one game for the rest of my life it would be Slay the Spire, I'm pretty sure. I never have a bad time with that game, even when I get a losing streak.

Viata

Arcane
Any game that I have a big nostalgia for playing them as a kid does that for me. I have zero motivation to play the best game released this year, but full of motivation to play something like Donkey Kong Country 2.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Trials. Once you go through a few tracks and everything clicks, it's one of the most pure fun experiences you can have.

Falksi

Arcane
One's which I return to constantly and which still spark that "joy" in me are:
  • Deus Ex
  • X-Com '94
  • Shaowrun Dragonfall
  • Escape From The Pit
  • Hexen 2
  • Vice City
  • Link To The Past
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Shining Force 2
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Bards Tale 4: Directors Cut
  • Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
  • Doom
  • Thunderforce 3
  • Star Control
  • Dark Souls series
  • Monkey Island 1 & 3
  • Contra 3
  • Actraiser
  • Streets of Rage 1 through 3
  • Golden Axe
  • Batman (Megadrive)
  • Afterburner 2
  • Atomic Runner
  • Hellfire
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • Saints Row 4
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Ghouls N Ghosts
  • F-Zero
  • Flashback
  • Aliens Vs Predator Arcade
  • Smash TV
  • Biometal
  • Dune
  • Trouble Shooter 2/Battlemania 2
  • Blackthorne
  • Eliminate Down
  • The Combat Tribes
  • Gley Lancer
There's far more too, but that's the short version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom