Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games to look forward to in 2024

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I’ve watched a little gameplay for Dragon’s Dogma 1 & 2, and the aesthetics are attractive, especially in 2024. But from what I can see, you clamber up on the backs of interesting creatures and stab them to death with a little sword for five minutes. If they let me unleash the interesting creature onto an enemy army, bandits, a village or something, then that would be more engaging.
You have no idea.

REhorror

Educated
ER DLC
Dragon Dogma 2

But I already got a GOTY with Terminator Dark Fate: Defiance.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I’ve watched a little gameplay for Dragon’s Dogma 1 & 2, and the aesthetics are attractive, especially in 2024. But from what I can see, you clamber up on the backs of interesting creatures and stab them to death with a little sword for five minutes. If they let me unleash the interesting creature onto an enemy army, bandits, a village or something, then that would be more engaging.
You have no idea.

So can I do those things, or not? I'm not interested in killing the Griffins or Dragons of the world because they ate some peasant’s cow(I'm also not interested in Dark Souls combat). Pillars of Eternity giving you the choice of not killing the Dragons was one of the few things I liked about it.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You have no idea.

So can I do those things, or not? I'm not interested in killing the Griffins or Dragons of the world(I'm also not interested in Dark Souls combat). Pillars of Eternity giving you the choice of not killing the Dragons was one of the few things I liked about it.
There is no other game comparable to Dragon's Dogma. Like I said, you have no idea. You're making up arbitrary comparisons to other ARPGs in your head.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hades II - literally can't go wrong with this one, Hades was rock solid and it's impossible to fuck up the formula. WISHLISTED
Wasn't Hades that really shit game for hipsters?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Unicorn Overlord, Rise of the Ronin (assuming it comes to PC in a reasonable timeframe,) FF7R2 (ditto,) Felvidek. Many others, but those four have my hopes the highest.
I was intrigued by Felvidek, the title I've never heard of, so I followed it to Steam. Wow, I thought, an isometric, historical rpg set in medieval Slovakia, with retro-graphics seemingly inspired by Commodore 64 palette... and it comes out in a month! Count me fucking in.

Then I saw the combat screen and understood it's a jrpg with very static combat :negative:

I mean, I'm still interested for the setting and visuals alone... but much less due to the chosen formula.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
You have no idea.

So can I do those things, or not? I'm not interested in killing the Griffins or Dragons of the world because they ate some peasant’s cow(I'm also not interested in Dark Souls combat). Pillars of Eternity giving you the choice of not killing the Dragons was one of the few things I liked about it.
The tone of the game is basically berzerk but not an anime and the combat is not dark souls, so you don't roll around on the ground like a spaz. Very old school vibe with spooky dungeon delving and perilous treks through the wilderness. The gimmick is that you can hire ai adventuring companions that other players create. It's actually a pretty good game, though I don't trust capcom to allow a good sequel to be made.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not looking forward to anything. Not because there is nothing good coming, but because I'm just not, outside of posting here, feeling games now. Or movies, or books, or museums, or.. Maybe because I have anhedonia; maybe because there is some unfinished life business I need to take care of before I have time for leisure; or maybe because I have reached a stage of spiritual development where I am free from the burden of desires. At any rate, such is life now. But in the spirit of the thing, here are games that I otherwise would have been looking forward to:

Dragon's Dogma 2 (two years ago me wouldn't believe future me won't be on this day one)
Black Myth
Urban Strife
STALKER 2
Unicorn Overload
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered
Any good survivalcraft games.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Not looking forward to anything. Not because there is nothing good coming, but because I'm just not, outside of posting here, feeling games now. Or movies, or books, or museums, or.. Maybe because I have anhedonia; maybe because there is some unfinished life business I need to take care of before I have time for leisure; or maybe because I have reached a stage of spiritual development where I am free from the burden of desires. At any rate, such is life now. But in the spirit of the thing, here are games that I otherwise would have been looking forward to:

Dragon's Dogma 2 (two years ago me wouldn't believe future me won't be on this day one)
Black Myth
Urban Strife
STALKER 2
Unicorn Overload
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered
Any good survivalcraft games.
That shits not uncommon bruv. You'll snap out of it. I've gone through long periods of that. Years.

Peripeteia - Have been looking forward for this a while. Played the first demo right after I finished Deus Ex 1 so am pretty hyped. Loved that demo.
Space Marine 2 - Goes without saying, instant classic. The first was great, and the multiplayer was especially great. Lumbering about, good slow animation to get the weapon up after sprint. Good short TTK.
Manor Lords - Seems promising.
Gray Zone Warfare - Sense Tarkov is run by a shit studio that releases new mechanics at an extremely slow pace I can't wait for this to blow that piece of crap out of the water.
Frostpunk 2 - Got gifted the first one. Liked it, liked the last expansion the most where you could trade with other settlement.
Stalker 2 - Hope it be good.
Shadow of the Erdtree - A reason to replay the game. I consider Elden Ring to be amoung the weakest of From Software games.
Rise of the Ronin - I like the time setting and hope the swordplay will be dynamic as in Sekiro and not as in roll simulation Elden Ring.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Outcast - A new beginning - I loved the first game. The new one will probably suck but I have to play it.
Dragon's Dogma 2 - I never finished the first game but this one looks quite good. Better than Elden Ring.
No rest for the wicked - It's basically isometric Dark Souls with Ori level of polish.
Sand Land - Because Stellar Blade doesn't release on Steam :)
Shadow of the Erdtree - I will buy it but it's probably the first FromSw's game I'll buy with disgust.
Stalker 2 - They delayed the shit out of this one, but it should be better than the last Metro game.
Black Myth: Wukong - Why not!? At least is not pure retardation like Nioh.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom