Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games to look forward to in 2024

Lemming42

Arcane
Here's some I have my eye on:
Classified: France '44 - some kind of WW2 nuXCOM thing. Story will be the usual mind-numbing war shit, but I'll play anything with nuXCOM combat. WISHLISTED

Outcast: A New Beginning - sequel to 1999's Outcast, which will probably have combat that's just as bad as the original. WISHLISTED

ScreenPlay - some kinda new collectible card game. I don't know if it'll be good, but it's a CCG. WISHLISTED

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - sequel to Senua's Sacrifice. Will the devs come up with an actual game to go along with their brooding mental-health-focused story this time? WISHLISTED

Selaco - new gzdoom shooter that's kind of like FEAR on the Doom engine. Liked the demo. Caused consternation and sexual confusion among the usual RPGCodex users. WISHLISTED

Hades II - literally can't go wrong with this one, Hades was rock solid and it's impossible to fuck up the formula. WISHLISTED

STALKER 2 - I never really got STALKER in the way other people do. I've really tried, it just puts me to sleep. Shooting human enemies is sort of vaguely fun, but that's about it. Giving it a chance anyway. WISHLISTED

Avowed - I don't trust Obsidian to make something that isn't a huge pile of shit at this point, and "we're making our own Skyrim ripoff in the Pillars of Eternity setting" is the single worst pitch for a game I've ever heard. You just know they're going to fuck this up mega-style. In it for the drama and the inevitable roast-a-thon thread. WISHLISTED

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - put aside for a second that the studio in question has never made a good game, and this looks like it has a chance to be okay. You can drag people over to you with a whip and then knock them out with a big punch! WISHLISTED

Phantom Fury - demo was enormously discouraging, but I'm going to play this shit anyway. WISHLISTED

COVEN - new throwback shooter where you play as a witch who comes back to fuck shit up after getting burned at the stake. Demo is lots of fun. WISHLISTED

Star Wars: Outlaws - I fucking hate Star Wars but I do like a couple of Star Wars games, and by "a couple" I mean Dark Forces 1 and Dark Forces 2. And maybe that Starfighter game for PS2. Might as well give this a chance. Gameplay reveal video looked dispiritingly cutscene-heavy, meaning you'll have to stomach a lot of "glup shitto" Star Wars crap. WISHLISTED

WIZORDUM - already in early access, already very good. BOUGHT EARLY ACCESS

Fortune's Run - ditto. BOUGHT EARLY ACCESS

What games are you watching out for?

Hellraiser

Arcane
In my case it is more like "follow to see if they don't end up being utter shit and buy only when on sale or cheap or the gift card is about to expire" with Homeworld 3 and Frostpunk 2. Unless we also count Rogue Trader being patched up thoroughly, I look forward to that one.

Nothing else seems even moderately interesting at the moment as far as new releases planned for this year go, but knowing life some decent indie game(s) might come out of nowhere and change that.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo, Beyond Shadowgate, and hopefully Riven: New Discoveries of the Lost D'ni Empire

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very cautiously optimistic about Thaumaturge, which should be out very soon. There are others as well but I can't think of any names at the moment, and they'll all be delayed anyway.

Falksi

Arcane
Persona 3 Reloaded and Yakuza Infinite Wealth are on my hit list, as I enjoy both series. SMT V Vengeance looks good too.

ZPF is probably the one I'm most excited about elsewhere, a super looking homebrew Megadrive SHMUP. A game which is already out for the Megadrive, but which I've yet to play, is Life on Earth, looks cool and will purchase soon.

Daemon Claw for the Megadrive/Amiga/Neo Geo looks pretty groovy too, will be on that.

Eiyuden Chronivle: Hundred Heroes has me interested, but after Sea of Stars & Chained Echoes disappointed, I'm waiting to see what reception it gets.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon's Dogma 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
Nivalis
Menace
Manor Lords
Star Trucker

SlamDunk

Arcane
Many of these won't probably be 2024 games, but nevertheless here goes:

New game from Fumito Ueda and gen DESIGN (makers of ICO and The Last Guardian)

Gray Zone Warfare - Realism-focused tactical first-person shooter

Half-Life 2 RTX - The whole game enhanced with ray tracing and remastered assets

Half Sword: Gauntlet - Physics-based medieval fencing simulator

Infinitesimals - Third-person action-adventure seen from a miniature perspective

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - I feel quite damned hungry for this one

Militsioner - First-person runaway-from-giant-AI-character simulator

New game from Playdead (makers of Limbo and Inside)

Project Borealis - Fan-made game based on the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 plot outline

Unrecord - Single-player story-based first-person bodycam shooter

We Kill Monsters - Third-person single-player (or co-operative) adventure set in a mysterious and massive pit

AndyS

Augur
Here's some I have my eye on:
Avowed - I don't trust Obsidian to make something that isn't a huge pile of shit at this point, and "we're making our own Skyrim ripoff in the Pillars of Eternity setting" is the single worst pitch for a game I've ever heard. You just know they're going to fuck this up mega-style. In it for the drama and the inevitable roast-a-thon thread. WISHLISTED
I think I played Pillars of Eternity for a while and then just lost interest because the setting was so dull. It's like they willfully made it as generic as possible. Why are they sticking with it?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Codex GotY 2012 2013 2016 2024 Dragon's Dogma II

Dragon-s-Dogma-II-D-D.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have a feeling The Jovian System is going to release this year. Keeping my fingers crossed unless MF says something definitive. Mystic Land: The Search for Maphaldo looks like Game of the Decade material, and apparently that's coming out this year also. I don't need anything else.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Dragon's Dogma 2

Stellar Sword

Shadow of the Erdtree

Alone in the Dark... maybe (I have a feeling this one will be shit)

I gotta look at other confirmed releases for this year. I don't know a whole lot about what's all coming out.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is all I'm keeping track of, that will likely release this year :
  • Dragon's Dogma II
  • Space Marine 2
  • STALKER 2
  • Monomyth
  • Crowsworm
  • Final Fantasy XVI [PC]
  • Wu Kong: Blackmyth
  • Phantom Blade 0
  • Peripeteia
  • XF Extreme Formula -- seems like the more interesting of the two indie F-Zero clones I'm keeping track (the other being, Aero GPX), will at least try out the demo sometime this year...
  • Fortune's Run -- looks cool, still have to try the demo
  • MGS3 Remake -- not looking foward, just curious to see how it turns out
  • Intravenous 2 (lots of 2's this year)
  • Dark Souls 2: Flames of Old -- at least I hope it finally releases

• Metroid Prime 4 -- there's been some rumors of a reveal during a Metroid series segment of a Nintendo Direct presentation in the near future...
  • Fallout 4 New Vegas -- extreme long shot, as it's likely dead...
  • RoeK
  • ULTRAKILL
  • Gloomwood
  • Pathologic 2: Bachelor -- please...

DD2 is green because it's pretty much the only garanteed buy of the bunch
Hell, if Capcom releases a demo before launch and I like it, then I'll pre-order the game with giving it a second thought

All in all, 2024 seems like it's going to be a good year, specially for Action Chads
Honestly after this year I don't think I'll be playing any new game releases for the next 3 to 5 years
And I'm ok with that
Will take that time to clear my backlog of games, books and scratch various other things of my bucketlist before I turn 30

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Only definite pickup is Elden Ring DLC.

Might get Dragon's Dogma II or Rise of the Ronin depending on reviews.

Will try the Indy game, Avowed and new Commandos on Gamepass.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Oh the Silent Hill 2 remake is a definite must-play for me. Not because I think it will be good or anything. It's a combination of curiosity and the franchise being absent for over a decade. I feel like it's mandatory that I try it. I'd still prefer a proper restoration of the original trilogy.

Tormented Souls 2 is supposedly releasing this year. That will be a big one for me. White Day 2 is another big one but Steam users say it sucks. Hopefully they fix the problems for the console release. I looooooved Tormented Souls and White Day.

Last edited:

rumSaint

Literate
I think I'm too bitter towards game industry to wait for anything. If something interesting pops out I'll definitely check it out, but hyping myself up serves no purpose.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'll play Dragon's Dogma 2 in probably a few years. Put 91 hours into the PC version and many into the PS3 version of the original, but haven't played it since 2016 and am not the biggest fan.

Iucounu

Educated
Why do you expect Stalker 2 to come out in 2024, or to be good? Have you learned nothing from history? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom