Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games to look forward to in 2024

Iucounu

Educated
I never really got STALKER in the way other people do. I've really tried, it just puts me to sleep.

The number and complexity of mods out there have made the game more interesting. It might be worth revisiting.
The first two Stalker games are the kind that need to be played multiple times to appreciate their depth (same thing applies to good music). On my first playthrough (Clear Sky) I thought it was interesting, but also confusing and very janky. Fortunately I always replay most games right away after finishing, since there is/was always much more to discover in a good game than a single playthrough can reveal.

Alas I've never played a good Stalker mod, but I stopped checking a decade ago. The vanilla games are just fine though.

Losus4

Literate
Imagine caring for Stalker 2 when Anomaly / GAMMA are a thing. Stalker 2 will be cinematic AAA garbage and to believe otherwise is to delude oneself.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Fucking retards buying games on day1 and then complaining how broken and overpriced they are.

You people disgust me.
If you're smart you memorize and know which devs release a finished product on release day and which ones don't. Every developer has their own track record. Like, say for example, you purchase a Bethesda game day 1. You deserve everything bad that happens.

With Sony and Ninty first party games you're almost always guaranteed a finished product. M$ is the exact opposite, and independant PC developers are even worse. This place should probably show a bit more respect for Ninty and Sony.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I never really got STALKER in the way other people do. I've really tried, it just puts me to sleep.

The number and complexity of mods out there have made the game more interesting. It might be worth revisiting.
The first two Stalker games are the kind that need to be played multiple times to appreciate their depth (same thing applies to good music). On my first playthrough (Clear Sky) I thought it was interesting, but also confusing and very janky. Fortunately I always replay most games right away after finishing, since there is/was always much more to discover in a good game than a single playthrough can reveal.

Alas I've never played a good Stalker mod, but I stopped checking a decade ago. The vanilla games are just fine though.
If you need to play a game multiple times for it to be good, it's a piece of shit. It's like tv shows. "Just wait until episode 5, it gets really good then!". Fuck you. If I gotta wait for it to become good it's not worth my time. The great classics draw you in immediately and keep you enthralled to the very end.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
It's like tv shows. "Just wait until episode 5, it gets really good then!". Fuck you. If I gotta wait for it to become good it's not worth my time.
Some slow-burning shows are worth the wait, though.
If it's not good at the start, it's simply not good. 'Tis the rule of art. It's why I'll never watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. Two full seasons of bad is irredeemable. I don't care if the later seasons are Breaking Bad tiers of greatness. Fuck yo show nigga.

The only exception is like Twin Peaks which starts out great, turns to shit, and then becomes great again. Beginnings matter most.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's why I'll never watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. Two full seasons of bad is irredeemable.
Taking the bait, but - TNG is episodic so you can just skip the first two seasons if you want to (though you shouldn't; parts of season two are quite good, and season three doesn't really start off strong).

Realistically, out of the 178 episodes they produced for TNG, about 40 were good, and yes, I can recite them from memory. Just watch those! Like the original Star Trek, it's a small handful of really good hour-long sci-fi movies buried amid a rancid sea of shit, and your job is to dive in and look for the hidden gold.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
It's why I'll never watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. Two full seasons of bad is irredeemable.
Taking the bait, but - TNG is episodic so you can just skip the first two seasons if you want to (though you shouldn't; parts of season two are quite good, and season three doesn't really start off strong).

Realistically, out of the 178 episodes they produced for TNG, about 40 were good, and yes, I can recite them from memory. Just watch those! Like the original Star Trek, it's a small handful of really good hour-long sci-fi movies buried amid a rancid sea of shit, and your job is to dive in and look for the hidden gold.
You consider 40 out of 178 to be an acceptable record?

Boys, I will level with you. This year looks to be utter shit. When I perused one of those release lists, I couldn't believe the kind of shit that's prepared to be peddled this year. The only hope is that some indie third worlders will release something that's not planned or expected and it will somehow be good. But it probably won't happen.

At least there was a bunch of good games released in the last few years, so we can play that until 2025.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you need to play a game multiple times for it to be good, it's a piece of shit. It's like tv shows. "Just wait until episode 5, it gets really good then!". Fuck you. If I gotta wait for it to become good it's not worth my time. The great classics draw you in immediately and keep you enthralled to the very end.
Brilliant. You've just missed out on Breaking Bad with such ignorant approach.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Brilliant. You've just missed out on Breaking Bad with such ignorant approach.
Breaking Bad's pilot episode was great, idiot.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Manor Lords is the only thing on my radar that I'm hopeful for. And maybe Dragon's Dogma 2 since I sort of liked the first one and Stalker 2.

Homeworld 3 I have no faith in but I'll probably get it if it's even 6/10. Same goes for Space Marine 2.

Iucounu

Educated

No, the Stalker games were interesting to me (but apparently not to Lemming42) both from the beginning of each game and during the first playthrough, so I didn't hesitate to start a second playthrough just days after. But to appreciate their real depth takes multiple playthroughs, there simply is too much lore and mechanics for the player to digest in a single run.

Now, if Lemming42 thinks a game is poor I can understand if he doesn't want persist. But sometimes you encounter something you realize is high quality but you still don't get it at first, and in such cases it's often worth persisting.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This year looks to be utter shit.
Just like your taste in games

This year is going to be pretty good

1708355016855285.jpg

goregasm

Scholar
Stalker 2
Menace
End State
Six Days in Falluja
Urban Strife
That King Arthur Skyrim game seems interesting.
Code of the Savage
Probably a few more I'm forgetting, doubt most will fully release though, if at all.

I don't really count early access as a release, only ever bought 1 e.a. game

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Manor Lords is a big one. Espiocracy, if it makes it out this year as planned. I can’t imagine Gilded Age will release in 2024.

This year is going to be pretty good

1708355016855285.jpg

I’ve watched a little gameplay for Dragon’s Dogma 1 & 2, and the aesthetics are attractive, especially in 2024. But from what I can see, you clamber up on the backs of interesting creatures and stab them to death with a little sword for five minutes. If they let me unleash the interesting creature onto an enemy army, bandits, a village or something, then that would be more engaging.

geno

Savant
The new update for Death Wish mod for Blood: Overhauled levels and a new episode hopefully this year.
I'm not into wargames but I'll give Burden of Command a chance. Its approach and dedication is something else, they're really into history to the point they restored and found never seen WW2 photography.
Witchfire is my cup of tea even if I'm not fond of roguelites and Path of Exile 2 seems to be the peak of the genre.
You've mentioned other titles I want to play like Dragon's Dogma or Menace. And End State, I've bought the EA so I can say I'm interested in it.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new update for Death Wish mod for Blood: Overhauled levels and a new episode hopefully this year.
speaks volumes that a mod for a 30 years old game is the only thing even remotely interesting this year (oh, and hopefully new ashes 2063)

notpl

Arbiter
Unicorn Overlord, Rise of the Ronin (assuming it comes to PC in a reasonable timeframe,) FF7R2 (ditto,) Felvidek. Many others, but those four have my hopes the highest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom