Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with blood magic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After reading this article > https://www.gamesradar.com/games/dr...ts-arent-where-bioware-want-the-hero-to-walk/

About Dragon Age Failguard not having blood mage because "muh is not heroic", I want to play games with powerful blood mages.
  • VtMB - Tremere clan. Is a lot different than P&P, but is near impossible to implement some P&P stuff in a video game mainly path of creation
  • Vanguard : Saga of heroes is a great DPS focused in damage over time and healer
  • Dragon Age Origins : Is very cool, sadly you can use it in front of Templars consequence free.
  • Salt & Sanctuary : Betrayer creed - It deals colossal damage but also applies a huge debuff to the caster, making him much more vulnerable to damage
  • WH40k - Inquisitor Martyr - Biomancy has some powers like , sadly OwlCat removed everything offensive from biomancy by no good reason. What is trash about the game is the diablo 3 style everything scales with gear BS.
  • TES with mods - Morrowind and skyim has blood magic via mods
  • GW1 - Necromancer - A lot of blood spells > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Blood_Magic
And that is it from what I remember. Any more to the list?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
After reading this article > https://www.gamesradar.com/games/dr...ts-arent-where-bioware-want-the-hero-to-walk/

About Dragon Age Failguard not having blood mage because "muh is not heroic", I want to play games with powerful blood mages.
  • VtMB - Tremere clan. Is a lot different than P&P, but is near impossible to implement some P&P stuff in a video game mainly path of creation
  • Vanguard : Saga of heroes is a great DPS focused in damage over time and healer
  • Dragon Age Origins : Is very cool, sadly you can use it in front of Templars consequence free.
  • Salt & Sanctuary : Betrayer creed - It deals colossal damage but also applies a huge debuff to the caster, making him much more vulnerable to damage
  • WH40k - Inquisitor Martyr - Biomancy has some powers like , sadly OwlCat removed everything offensive from biomancy by no good reason. What is trash about the game is the diablo 3 style everything scales with gear BS.
  • GW1 - Necromancer - A lot of blood spells > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Blood_Magic

Dominions series has races based on blood magic, blood magic system and blood hunting.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My vampire game will have some, and it'll be different than "standard human magic." Still building it out.

1721352203983.png

Pillars of Eternity 2 had a blood mage. You can sacrifice health to get casts back. The L2 spell creates a staff that steals HP, so it could form a loop. Cast your spells, use your blood mage ability, then use the staff to regain health.

I would do the same tactic in Dragon's Age, but reverse. Open with blood magic, then use entropy spells with mana to heal.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
  • Path of Achra has some blood magic which focuses a lot on doing self-damage in order to trigger it's effects.
  • Gedonia has a blood magic specialization which grants you a lot of lifesteal, converting health into mana, summoning leeches from the wounds of your enemies and transforming into a blood demon. More of a specialization for warriors from what i remember.
  • Erannorth Reborn has both a vampire race and a blood mage class.
  • Erannorth Chronicles has a plethora of sub-races and sub-classes with an access to blood magic. Vampires, werebats, dwarves who belong to a secret clan, blood witches, blood mystics, acolyte who worships a goddes of fire and blood, etc.

Last edited:

behold_a_man

Educated
My vampire game will have some, and it'll be different than "standard human magic." Still building it out.
I'd rather expect bloodless magic to be the novelty in a game about vampires.

Also, what is this whole blood magic?
1) The spells that are possible to cast on beings who have some blood in them (like in Bloodlines),
2) The spells possible to cast by sacrificing one's own blood (in other words, yielding some temporary debuff - like in Dragon Age: Origins), or
3) The spells possible to cast by sacrificing some blood (so, blood as a resource with Ultima-style casting).
I think it makes more sense to distinguish separate mechanics of spellcasting rather than separate schools of magic. Also, I'd love to see a game where each school of magic has a separate set of rules determining its mechanics.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Stygian : Reign of the old ones. Magic is dangerous but powerful and costs you health and sanity. only those versed in the occult can cast the spells.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pillars of Eternity 2 had a blood mage. You can sacrifice health to get casts back. The L2 spell creates a staff that steals HP, so it could form a loop. Cast your spells, use your blood mage ability, then use the staff to regain health.

I would do the same tactic in Dragon's Age, but reverse. Open with blood magic, then use entropy spells with mana to heal.

I would not really consider this blood magic. It had nothing unique going for it not even 1 single unique spell. Blood magic should be dangerous and powerful.

jakkis

Educated
Yes, blood magic should be something more special than just casting from HP.

But, casting from hp can also be fun. Old ADOM had trolls with nice HP regen as good mages. Of course this was nerfed because muh :balance:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm sure there are some nasty steam & itch.io games about this.

Legacy of Kain series is an obvious example of blood magic (seems most vamp ones are)

ShaggyMoose

Savant
A couple of close neighbours?
  • Witchcraft in Divine Divinity felt at least blood magic adjacent and then there was Cassandra...
  • The demon summoning in Ultima VIII; again, not really blood magic but an interesting and unusually intricate implementation.
  • There are more games than I can count that take blood sacrifices at shrines for possible blessings.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wish for games with interesting magic systems that is not simply throwing fireballs at each other. Something like curses, hexes, necromacy and blood magic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wish for games with interesting magic systems that is not simply throwing fireballs at each other. Something like curses, hexes, necromacy and blood magic.

For me, flashy but ineffective spells are very boring. Talking about Cryomancy, imo the power to freeze enemy Heart or transform flesh into ice is much more interesting than the power to throw endless amount of Ice comets.

_____

Some other games with it :
  • Secret world legends - OK, has sigils and other interesting stuff from blood magic
  • Dark Souls 3 + Convergence mod
  • Vampyr

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Didn't Dungeon Siege have a vampire mod for blood magic? More or less drain hp replenish self again. I swore there was more to it as well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom