Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great, satisfying endings?

Falksi

Arcane
Another one which made me come away from the game feeling like it was worth the time, and that's FFX's ending....

Ge18CK1.jpg

Soppy as shit, but it still did the trick. Auron's finale was just badass AF.

std::namespace

btw, Solasta's ending is so
cliche
cringe
funny
suicidal charge
cute
endearing
that i did a 180 on it and liked it a lot
it fits like a glove in a strange way

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Arcanum, Fallout 2
Those count as multiple endings but they also differ depending on the choices you make.
Otherwise, I agree.

I have a preference for straight, unambiguous endings:
Oldschool shooters - Doom, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Quake, Hexen (though what happens after you get the Chaos Sphere is a bit ambiguous, especially if you factor in the expansion).
Star Trek Elite Force 1 and 2.

rubinstein

Educated
Definitely Fallout. especially if you deal with mariposa first and then talk master into a suicide. i dont like canon ending, for me this one is way more iconic, especially if master kills himself. Yes, the writing is flawed, anyone sane will ask themselves "how come master didnt check this?", but, oh god, his model, the voice acting, the tension - its all so amazing, no matter if you reach him for the first time or fifth time. the way he delivers:
I... don't think that I can continue. Continue?
this doubt in his voice is players fully deserved victory. when he finally says this, then gg, bro, you just have just beaten the game. you have just mogged this gooey fella with FACTS and LOGIC. hes cooked. you won. it would be my favourite line of this game, if it wasnt for whats comming next. because when you head back home to receive the final, well deserved pat on the back from your boss, you are met with this instead:
You're a hero... and you have to leave.
after all you have done to the fellow vault dwellers, after all the hardships you have gone through, you are hit with such unspeakable betrayal from ther guy who sent you on a sucidial mission, its so shocking and infuriating. sure, you can get yourself a little revenge here, but, just like master moments ago, you will soon realize that the other side was right. and thats the beauty of the ending. it rhymes

P4RY.gif

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trinity. The game consists of visiting a series of historical vignettes, and the last one is by far the best and the highlight of the game both narratively and in terms of puzzle-solving.

3 others

Scholar
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time has an abysmal final boss fight but the ending cutscene is wonderful

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom