Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great sound effects

Arbiter

Scholar
Any recommendations? I need to test audio components that will be used for PC gaming and movies. Support for software OpenAL is nice to have.

Ryzer

Arcane
Diablo 1, Swat 4, Ready Or Not, The Witcher 3, Dying Light, Stalker call of Pripryat, Subnautica, especially Subnautica.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
In addition to what's been mentioned above:

Older:
Thief 1 and 2
System Shock 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Jedi Outcast
Freespace 1 and 2
Counterstrike 1.6

Newer:
Black Mesa
Deep Rock Galactic
The Dark Mod
Highfleet
Kingdom Come Deliverance

These recommendations are based off factors like ambient and weapon sfx.

Beowulf

Arcane
Hunt Showdown with its binaural audio:

Alien Isolation:

Already mentioned Squad and RoN.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Shit I forgot how good the sounds were in Alien Isolation! :obviously:

ferratilis

Magister
I remember being impressed by Company of Heroes 1's sound design, you could hear weapons and artillery from across the map and judge their distance. You could also hear a Tiger tank approaching through the fog of war. Or whether someone was capturing a point by the sound of a flag being raised on a mast. Not to mention the voicelines that gave all units a sense of identity.

And who can forget hearing a Nebelwerfer for the first time:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
System Shock and Thief (all three games).
Eric Brosius and Terri Brosius did the sound design for the Looking Glass games.
Really great sound design and music. Thief uses sound as a core gameplay mechanic, but I think you already knew that.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Legend of Grimrock games have surprisingly good surround btw. Try it with 5.1 and its pretty atmospheric

Modron

Arcane
Hearing all the people dying around you in Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm is kind of brutal.

freespace 2. hands down. no contest.
i haven't played it in 10, mabye 15 years, i still remember its best effects, and even most of the other pilots lines.
this crate is gonna blow!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom