Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Games Workshop takes the hatchet to Age of Sigmar, fans are Big Mad (TM)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
STARTing this trend? As a GW neckbeard from way back, this always makes me laugh. They axed the entirety of Warhammer Fantasy, doesnt anyone remember?
GW is fast at work at killing Kill Team already, by way of making the kits fucking unobtanium.
Oh damn, I didn't notice that part. Edit: Looks pretty healthy on Ebay tho.

Edit 2: Oh. It's the two-faction boxes that phase out. They still provide Kill Team boxes per faction.

Otherwise, I doubt anyone would even pay and play it. 40k community is pretty happy with ignoring shitty shit, house rules, etc.

In fact there's a Kill-Team-alternate-house-rules thingie (maintanis older Kill Team rules) so you can always do that. Just like how you can always play an older codex.

Still.

Vindication comes.

REhorror

Educated
Age of Sigmar was fucking shite so they need to cancel that crap and bring the Old World right quick.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Otherwise, I doubt anyone would even pay and play it. 40k community is pretty happy with ignoring shitty shit, house rules, etc.

In fact there's a Kill-Team-alternate-house-rules thingie (maintanis older Kill Team rules) so you can always do that. Just like how you can always play an older codex.
Adi Wood had an interesting interview recently. He was talking about doing battle reports for White dwarf and how there were 3 sets of rules and how they made it really difficult to invite outsiders into the office for a report.

Rules the designers wrote
Rules the White Dwarf players used
Rules outsiders used

Almost everyone plays GW games different to how they're intended to be played. Either through poor rule understanding (usually due to poor writing of them) or some form of house ruling to fix obviously broken stuff. There's no way around this problem because GW are so bad at rule writing you will always have conflicts and have to find your own solutions which then snowball into being a totally different experience.
Age of Sigmar was fucking shite so they need to cancel that crap and bring the Old World right quick.
Old World has been out for like a month now. Even the clickbait has died down and everyone went back to older editions.

Erebus

Arcane
After several years they finally released The Old World, a new version of the old Warhammer Fantasy. Set during the time of the previous Everchosen some two centuries prior to the "current day", they finally decided to bring only a few armies back for the fun:

CsKw43KLHs5Rr4ot.jpg

Kind of weird that the Vampire Counts are missing. Aren't they one of the oldest and most iconic factions in Warhammer Fantasy ?

Hell Swarm

Educated
Kind of weird that the Vampire Counts are missing. Aren't they one of the oldest and most iconic factions in Warhammer Fantasy ?
Yes. But they're setting up TOW to fail by only using the least popular factions. Why would you launch a game based on 2 failed product lines? Should have used AoS's empire as TOW empire for a starter box.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Almost everyone plays GW games different to how they're intended to be played. Either through poor rule understanding (usually due to poor writing of them) or some form of house ruling to fix obviously broken stuff. There's no way around this problem because GW are so bad at rule writing you will always have conflicts and have to find your own solutions which then snowball into being a totally different experience.

This. And this has been the case for 30+ years.

A memorable example: A spell which, while in play, allowed the spellcaster to nullify one magic item within the spell's range. The wording stated that the spellcaster could change which magic item was nullified "at will", which my group immediately protested against since that makes the spell stupidly overpowered. So we decided that the spellcaster could only change its target once per turn.

Then, a few months later our group competed at a local tournament and we came across another player who employed the spell as written, with disastrous results for his opponents. We pointed out the problem to him, he rejected our arguments. We took it to the refs, who quickly saw the problem and tried to reach an interrim solution. The other player wouldn't have any of it, at one point he was shouting at the refs about he was fully within his rights to play the way he did. It wasn't until he started accusing our group of ruining the game that the refs asked him to leave.

We were not to blame, neither was he, it was only GW's fault. Fortunately the spell was removed from the game in the next edition.

Caim

Arcane
This. And this has been the case for 30+ years.

A memorable example: A spell which, while in play, allowed the spellcaster to nullify one magic item within the spell's range. The wording stated that the spellcaster could change which magic item was nullified "at will", which my group immediately protested against since that makes the spell stupidly overpowered. So we decided that the spellcaster could only change its target once per turn.

Then, a few months later our group competed at a local tournament and we came across another player who employed the spell as written, with disastrous results for his opponents. We pointed out the problem to him, he rejected our arguments. We took it to the refs, who quickly saw the problem and tried to reach an interrim solution. The other player wouldn't have any of it, at one point he was shouting at the refs about he was fully within his rights to play the way he did. It wasn't until he started accusing our group of ruining the game that the refs asked him to leave.

We were not to blame, neither was he, it was only GW's fault. Fortunately the spell was removed from the game in the next edition.
6e introduced the Deny the Witch rule, which let you negate an enemy's psychic power on a roll of a 6, which came to be known as a Deny roll. The 5e codex of the Grey Knights had the Holocaust power.

This could put you in the position where you're telling your opponent you're going to roll to Deny the Holocaust.

Actually, he was to blame too. There are poorly written rules, that's GW's fault, and then there are smartasses who exploit shitty rules thinking that they aren't going to be contested (the thought about why referees are needed in turn-based games tournaments have never occurred to them) or that the rulings will be on their side.

After several years they finally released The Old World, a new version of the old Warhammer Fantasy. Set during the time of the previous Everchosen some two centuries prior to the "current day", they finally decided to bring only a few armies back for the fun:

CsKw43KLHs5Rr4ot.jpg

They were one of the later additions, from the late 90s IIRC. In the old days, there were only Undead, in later editions (5th or 6th, I can't remember) Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings were introduced as separate factions replacing the generic undead (although the major characters such as the Karsteins were there before).

Hell Swarm

Educated

Actually, he was to blame too. There are poorly written rules, that's GW's fault, and then there are smartasses who exploit shitty rules thinking that they aren't going to be contested (the thought about why referees are needed in turn-based games tournaments have never occurred to them) or that the rulings will be on their side.
He wasn't at fault though. If the rules say "Do X any time you want" then he's playing by the rules. In a tournament situation you shouldn't expect to play by house rules. Which is why GW games fail as competitive games.

CsKw43KLHs5Rr4ot.jpg

They were one of the later additions, from the late 90s IIRC. In the old days, there were only Undead, in later editions (5th or 6th, I can't remember) Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings were introduced as separate factions replacing the generic undead (although the major characters such as the Karsteins were there before).
Undead had Khermi armies included in it. There was articles in old WD during the Undead army book release showing both styles of army. One was a studio army of Von carsteins and the other was a fans Khermi army of archers and chariots.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
GW is a company that absolutely refuses to sit on inventory, and has been for like 15+ years now.
They still do that. Although they will also destroy perfectly good models and books on a store to store basis instead of discounting them and selling them cheaper. There's so many space marines thrown away it's insane and yet some how this is a working business model for them.

Only time I've ever seen official GW do a sale was in about 98-99ish when my local shop in Bolton was flogging its entire range of Gorkamorka. (and I think necromunda, but I liked orks at the time)

I got the base game, digganob, and a shitload of metals for like half off prices. A kid with birthday money left that shop as happy as a pig in shit.

Hell Swarm

Educated
GW is a company that absolutely refuses to sit on inventory, and has been for like 15+ years now.
They still do that. Although they will also destroy perfectly good models and books on a store to store basis instead of discounting them and selling them cheaper. There's so many space marines thrown away it's insane and yet some how this is a working business model for them.

Only time I've ever seen official GW do a sale was in about 98-99ish when my local shop in Bolton was flogging its entire range of Gorkamorka. (and I think necromunda, but I liked orks at the time)

I got the base game, digganob, and a shitload of metals for like half off prices. A kid with birthday money left that shop as happy as a pig in shit.
2nd ed they sold off all the old stock as it went into 3rd. Insane deals but only time it ever happened. Store openings used to do 3 for 2 on blisters.

Andnjord

Arcane
He wasn't at fault though. If the rules say "Do X any time you want" then he's playing by the rules. In a tournament situation you shouldn't expect to play by house rules. Which is why GW games fail as competitive games.
Going into a game that is based on collecting, building and painting dozens of tiny miniatures of fantasy monsters and with rule sets (that used to at least) based on Rule of Cool first and Balance second with the attitude of ‘win at any cost’ rather than ‘let me and my opponent have fun’ should be blamed with extreme prejudice though.

And I say that as someone who enjoys crushing their opponents, but by Jove do I want them to leave with a smile and thinking “what a nice guy to be crushed by, I hope I get the chance to be crushed by him again”! :argh:

The other player wouldn't have any of it, at one point he was shouting at the refs about he was fully within his rights to play the way he did

I’m not sure you can blame GW for a guy throwing a nerd tantrum at a miniature tournament where there is no money involved, bad rules writing non-withstanding:M

mondblut

Arcane
Going into a game that is based on collecting, building and painting dozens of tiny miniatures of fantasy monsters and with rule sets (that used to at least) based on Rule of Cool first and Balance second with the attitude of ‘win at any cost’ rather than ‘let me and my opponent have fun’ should be blamed with extreme prejudice though.

If you don't make your enemies ragequit the hobby, your victory sounds hollow.

Andnjord

Arcane

If you don't make your enemies ragequit the hobby, your victory sounds hollow.
I still need an opponent the next week. You don’t skin a sheep, you have to shear it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I don't recall them doing sales, but I do recall them doing auctions. I think I got a bunch of lizardmen and necrons that way once. I think another store had a bunch of second hand painted models at a discount too, but that was a while ago.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Rule of wargaming : If everyone agrees it's legal. Fuck faggots trying to tell me or any one else how they SHOULD play. If you enter a tournament expect people to be trying to win. I would be pissed if I entered a tournament and had house rules forced on me after I arrived. I wouldn't mind in the rules pack so I knew what I was paying for. But I do mind if I'm sucker punched by it. I'm not a competitive player any more but I still want the rules to be set in stone out the gates.

Andnjord

Arcane
Rule of wargaming : If everyone agrees it's legal. Fuck faggots trying to tell me or any one else how they SHOULD play. If you enter a tournament expect people to be trying to win. I would be pissed if I entered a tournament and had house rules forced on me after I arrived. I wouldn't mind in the rules pack so I knew what I was paying for. But I do mind if I'm sucker punched by it. I'm not a competitive player any more but I still want the rules to be set in stone out the gates.
I don’t fundamentally disagree with you, I’m just saying that most of GW games (Blood Bowl is pretty solid and I heard that Underworld is decent too) are the wrong ones to have that expectation.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I don’t fundamentally disagree with you, I’m just saying that most of GW games (Blood Bowl is pretty solid and I heard that Underworld is decent too) are the wrong ones to have that expectation.
If retarded people want to come together to be retarded we can't stop them. Probably better to be a juggalo than a competitive wargamer though. Get more pussy and they probably smell better too.

Andnjord

Arcane
If retarded people want to come together to be retarded we can't stop them. Probably better to be a juggalo than a competitive wargamer though. Get more pussy and they probably smell better too.
“A juggalo is a fan of the hip hop group Insane Clown Posse or any other hip hop group signed to Psychopathic Records.”

Huh?

Hell Swarm

Educated
“A juggalo is a fan of the hip hop group Insane Clown Posse or any other hip hop group signed to Psychopathic Records.”

Huh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom