Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot somewhat more critical of Bloodlines

Lomer

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"It is now official that all of the above have better combat and roleplaying than Bloodlines"

Are you stupid? All that's official is that Gamespot liked those games more not they have better 'combat and role-playing". What an embicile.

It should be sarcastic :lol: What does "embicile" mean BTW :wink: ?

Mendoza

Liturgist
Lomer said:
Just for comparison have a look at some other Gamespot’s RPG ratings:

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: 9.2
Fable: 8.6
Neverwinter Nights - OC: 9.2
Neverwinter Nights - SoU:7.8
KOTOR: 8.8

It is now official that all of the above have better combat and roleplaying than Bloodlines :shock:

Ah, but it's ok for those games to have worse combat, because they're not played in first person view. :roll:

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, all I have to say is, despite being overshadowed by HL2, despite some of the idiotic reviews out there, and despite the bug reports, it's been my observation that the game is still holding it's own and doing quite well. Heck, I've seen more seething complaints about HL2 and Steam then I have about Bloodlines.

So there's some bugs to work out. They'll get worked out. The only person who's reported bugs that decided to give up on the game is Ortchel. Everyone else seems to be enjoying it enough to keep on going. And then there are those who either haven't encountered any bugs, or were just having too much fun to notice.

Right now, as it stands, Troika has a winner. And if they can manage to get these bug reports handled in a timely manner, I think it'll be even more so.

I get my hands on the game tomorrow and will be able to finally see for myself what's up. I'm really eager to play even despite all the bug reports I've seen.

Lomer

Liturgist
Exitium said:
You mispelled imbecile. What an imbecile.

I know the right spelling of this word (which is not my normal practice :) ). It was just Volourn's quote.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You mispelled imbecile. What an imbecile."

No. Not an imbecile; just a poor typer. Next.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Volourn said:

You could preview, you know. Or would that take away the excitement of being Volourn? :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Out of curiousity Volo, are you dyslectic or just "blessed" with some serious bratwurst-sized fingers?"

Neither. I'm just a horrible typist. And, I type way too fast. Nor do I proofread when i post normally since its not worth it.

"You could preview, you know. Or would that take away the excitement of being Volourn?"

Ha! And,w aste 5-10 seconds of my posting alotted time? :P

taks

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Out of curiousity Volo, are you dyslectic or just "blessed" with some serious bratwurst-sized fingers?
dyslexic, actually... :)

taks

Freethis

Novice
Okay, I'm just waking up after playing it until five. I love this game. I'm playing a Malkavian, female, stealth/diplomacy character and loving every minute of it. This is the first game that I've played in a long, long time that I can't wait to play all the way through so I can play again as a different clan.

The insane dialogue for my character isn't pointless or nonsensical and is, I'm betting, every bit as deep and detailed as any other clans. Plus I get all of the internal voices, leaps of insight, and arguments with inanimate objects that I hoped for. Does your television make accusations too, or is this just me? Seriously, the dialogue for the Malkavian is always excellent. Playing a, mostly, non-combat character I've only been in four or five fights so far, and a couple of those were from messing up with stealth and getting caught. Using blood buff, a point in brawling, and obfustication has gotten me through any fight so far, feeding in stragglers of course.

I love the quests, the daughters Janus was great, especially the haunted hotel which managed to make me squeal like a little girl more times than it managed to kill me. Auspex is supposed to work by showing you all creatures, living and dead, in your proximity, but I used it like a flashlight in the haunted hotel more than a few times just keep me from freaking out. The thin bloods where great too. Just going down to the beach, talking to the psychic woman, her face lit by firelight as she prognosticates my future...

As for bugs, I'm running it on a AMD 2600+, ATI 8500 LE, and 512 RAM. Not the best system for this game, but I'm running with all the bars turned down about half way and EAX off. Still, I've had very few problems. I've had one CTD out at the end of maybe 12 hours of play, but it was after entering the main hub, so I had an autosave from a few seconds before waiting when I reloaded. I've had some minor a/v stuttering when I first enter a new area or when a cut scene loads, but this doesn't bother me at all.

triCritical

Erudite
I have not played Bloodlines, but I think rags like IGN and Gamespot might be a bit unfair in their critiques of the combat. Especially after reviewing Morrowind, which was sort of the same. Its as if they wanted an FPS, with RPG style missions and dialogue. The truth is that games like this and Morrowtrash are skill based game, and while the combat may be twitch, the success needs to be based off skills. Otherwise your character loses credability. Afterall why should a diplomat ho be able to shoot as good as a character who invest heavily in firearms.

I don't think either of the aformentioned reviews actually judge the combat on its merits rather on its philisophical approach. And while this is certainly up for grabs it sounds a lot more like whining.

I have played HL2 and if you play on easy the engine helps you hit enemies. Sort of ironic.

littleboy

Liturgist
I can't run the game on my computer, but i got a buddy whose birthday is comin up. Gee i wonder what i'll get him, hmmmm :)

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
taks said:
Whipporowill said:
Out of curiousity Volo, are you dyslectic or just "blessed" with some serious bratwurst-sized fingers?
dyslexic, actually... :)

taks

I thought the same thing, but I looked dyslectic up and it is a word. It's an exact synonym of dyslexic. So nice going Whipporowill, you made a good guess in your translation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"My clinical guess would be A.D.D."

Don't become a doctor. You would suck at it.

Volourn said:

No, you're just an imbecile. "I" and "E" are on opposite sides of the QWERTY keyboard.

You're such a fucking cunt, Volourn. I like to give people a hard time on the 'Codex in good/vicious humor, but seriously, I detest you.

Freethis

Novice
The Malkav diplomat works great, Otaku. I'm finding that people tend to give the insane a little wiggle room when it comes to saying things that would otherwise cause problems, wise fools that they are. Crazy people also tend to be pretty damn intimidating, which helps I think. There's some great lines too like, "It wasn't me! It was my evil twin, didn't you see the goatee?" (coming from a female mind you)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Freethis said:
Okay, I'm just waking up after playing it until five. I love this game. I'm playing a Malkavian, female, stealth/diplomacy character and loving every minute of it.

Oddly enough, that's pretty much the same kind of character I'm playing. Though, I've gotten to Downtown L.A. and I'm getting my ass kicked by some vamps there, so I'm reconsidering that character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom