Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That has questionable implications considering he also wrote for PoE and Numenera, the two most badly written RPGs of the 21th century.

He was the narrative lead on Mask of the Betrayer, one of the best written CRPG campaigns ever. When they let Ziets do his thing, he does it very well.

On Pillars, they apparently butchered a lot of his story ideas when they made Fenstermaker lead. On TTON, McComb was narrative lead. IIRC Ziets was in charge of the bloom, which felt a lot more cohesive in its weirdness than the rest of the game. If the whole thing had taken place in the bloom—an actual setting with rules and limitations—it would’ve been better.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Lgb6rTe.jpg

Not seeing the hype tbh. Don't wanna be disappointed.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
G Ziets Whatever you do, please don't make Avellone a stretch goal. In fact, don't let any big names of old near your stuff, it's bad juju.

Best of luck with your new studio.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
If "Commiefornia" is so bad then why does anything creative of merit come from there? When was the last incline CRPG to come out of the flyover states?
Disco Elysium came from Tallinn, which is in Europe, not in any US state, definitely not in cucklifornia.
I am pretty sure most of Europe is more left than even California. State funded universities and health care and paid vacations and pain maternity leave is every person right in most of Europe. You know the things that Bernie wants to bring to USA and people are calling him a Commie because of it..
You sound like a retard,murican politics are only about muh money while political affiliations in Evropa are based on ideology. Social services are part of every evro country,it have nothing to do with politics. Fuck,you americans are far too stupid and self-centred.

If "Commiefornia" is so bad then why does anything creative of merit come from there? When was the last incline CRPG to come out of the flyover states?

It has passed maybe a decade since the last time america produced any good game,let alone RPG. I don't know if you are seriously that retarded lol.

Where's it located? DoA if it's in California.

Ohio

It seem like somebody got tired from all the shit and needle covered streets of liberty paradise.

Correctomundo.

Someone give this man a bottle of plum rakia

Prime Junta

That was ten years ago. He also wrote for PoE and Numenera, the two most badly written RPGs of the 21th century.

He wrote the Bloom, which was one of the few parts of the game that had some promise.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny Ziets is apparently so open for working remotely with people even though that kind of model was one of the reasons Torment development was .. less than ideal.

Okay, for the two guys
fakenews.png
and
rating_citation.png
-ing me, I shall back up my statement via reference to Monty Markland, who stated this as one of the top problems of Numanumas development (apparently even before it began):

1) No clear treatment of story during pre-production. All story related discussions were gibberish. Colin McComb was not qualified to be the lead writer, partly because he was in Michigan, approximately 2,000 miles away.

Now before you say that Markland is crazy, Ziets at least partially agrees with this assessement.

He stated:

Disconnect between remote leads and onsite team. TTON had an unusual structure where the design visionaries (Colin and Adam) were remote, while the development team was onsite. I think things would have worked better if the leads - esp. the primary visionaries [kek] - were onsite with the team. For non-lead writers (e.g., Gavin and Nathan), having them offsite was not at all disruptive IMO, except when they were first learning the writing tool or experienced technical problems.

I suppose in this situation that would be relatively irrelevant cause Ziets would be the onsite 'lead visionary' himself.

Rare question on George Ziets Tumblr:

Anyway, there you have it folks. Don't FakeNews me or my son ever again.

Murk

Arcane
Hearing G-Z (you have a rapper's name, you should start up a sound cloud George) talk gives me some hope for the future of Kwan cRPGs.

I hope he pursues new ideas and doesn't try to revive old game IPs (new adaptations would be cool tho).

Murk

Arcane
Imagine Ziets rapping being a stretch goal.

I may be going on a limb here but he strikes me as more of a shoegaze type of person.

He'll be a mumblerapper ala lil peep, mixing the two together, but with a darker coldwave aesthetic -- all in monochrome ofc.

Dumb jokes aside, I am a firm believer in letting people who have shown promise get creative freedom and explore their ideas.

Assuming he pursues a true passion project, I'd be likely to support it via kickstarter/whatever.

Prime Junta

Assuming he pursues a true passion project, I'd be likely to support it via kickstarter/whatever.

I hope he doesn't kickstart, or if he does, he does it without the stupid stretch goals and reward trinkets that everybody does. Problem with crowdfunding is that it nails down the goals way too early. Better keep them under wraps and allow the project to evolve where it wants to go.

Murk

Arcane

I hope he doesn't kickstart, or if he does, he does it without the stupid stretch goals and reward trinkets that everybody does. Problem with crowdfunding is that it nails down the goals way too early. Better keep them under wraps and allow the project to evolve where it wants to go.

I would, in every possible form, prefer a completed product. However, reality being what it is and the trend of recent games that actually got released all following a crowdfunding endeavor... you get the picture.

Point I was mostly making was that unlike PoE or Wasteland 2, which I had little-to-no faith, I would actually put my money down in advance to support a Ziets-led game wherein he has a lot more creative control and ideally less input from others who do not share his vision. Obviously crowdfunding could (would) cause issues with that last bit, but such is life. Perhaps we will be fortunate to see stretch goals of the sort like "make a long series of side-quests that are related to each other" or "create new class" rather than "get person X to work on game".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom