Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gamedev is one of the quickest ways to lose all your money, alienate your friends, divorce your wife and be hated by the general populace.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Gamedev is one of the quickest ways to lose all your money, alienate your friends, divorce your wife and be hated by the general populace.
I once had the idea that if I won the lottery, I'd use part of the winnings to pay an RPG studio to make my dream game. Over time I realized money wasn't the issue holding them back.

Azdul

Magister
I once had the idea that if I won the lottery, I'd use part of the winnings to pay an RPG studio to make my dream game. Over time I realized money wasn't the issue holding them back.
I too punish developers of the RPGs I do not approve of - by not giving them millions that I don't have.

Modern games can consume budget of arbitrary size on ever-increasing graphics quality and marketing.

However - lottery winnings would be just enough to create another 16-bit classic from the Golden Age. Team of 4-5 talented individuals, schedule of 24 months - and no chance whatsoever to recoup the costs due to 16-bit graphical presentation and old school gameplay.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it a matter of talent? Not completely. Fortune and friends? Mainly. Can you protect yourself against this by knowing this? No.

At various points near the end (and especially after the end) of Witcher 3's development several people left to form their own gamedev studios, some managed to do it and make their own games, others largely faded out. AFAICT the main difference between the former and the latter was that the former found some investor to pump money in the business.

So i guess what matters is knowing people with money. Or having money yourself, but to have enough savings to fund a full company you'd most likely need to have a CEO-level salary, as Infinitron noticed above :-P.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Is it a matter of talent? Not completely. Fortune and friends? Mainly. Can you protect yourself against this by knowing this? No.

At various points near the end (and especially after the end) of Witcher 3's development several people left to form their own gamedev studios, some managed to do it and make their own games, others largely faded out. AFAICT the main difference between the former and the latter was that the former found some investor to pump money in the business.

So i guess what matters is knowing people with money. Or having money yourself, but to have enough savings to fund a full company you'd most likely need to have a CEO-level salary, as Infinitron noticed above :-P.

Knowing the right people at the right time is the secret to a happy life.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, the entire trope of lone wolf artist, living off the grid and perfecting his masterpiece, is the most ridiculous bullshit. There's never been the case of that working out for anybody, at best you end up doing the Van Gogh.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
A major issue is that game quality is not the most crucial factor in success. You need to have a base level of quality, sure, but beyond that it isn't super important. This is similar to how the optimal IQ on average is 115-130, not being in the IQ stratosphere at 170 or w/e.

Game quality above baseline is 10% of success, 50% luck, and then 40% connections/finances for being able to afford fancy graphics and standard marketing campaign.

You really can't overstate how important luck is for success. There's dozens to hundreds of broadly comparable games in most genres/markets and which one breaks through therefore depends on marketing and luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom