Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review German Divinity 2 review

Lesifoere

Liturgist
shardspin said:
But a story which is based upon the idea "OMG I AM SO MISERABLE!" ? I am not saying it was a bad game, in fact it is one of the best in my opinion, but I don't think its story contributed much to it. I believe PS:T was an attempt to cash in on the growing pseudo-intellectual cRPG elite and it succeeded, because its art was comparatively cheap and was not needed in huge amounts while writing huge amounts of text is not really that expensive.

This is the key to understanding shardspin.

I'm pretty sure that whole "the TNO you play retains his memory" thing is explained in the game. Doesn't it have something to do with the shadows and going to the Fortress of Regrets, where if TNO dies, he will lose his personality?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oooh, pseudo-intellectual, I'm above this shit, I talk about important things like booze and drugs and elves and sentient planet cores. This shit is pseudo-intellectual.

PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL.

You're a fucking moron, I have to tell you again.

And if it was not the story which made Torment great, then what? I assume not the NPCs since those were pseudo-intellectual and whiny too?

shardspin

Novice
Its dialogue actually, which you would know if you had read my post instead of relying on quotes by other people. Are you butthurt because you are the living proof of what I describe?

Lesifoere said:
I'm pretty sure that whole "the TNO you play retains his memory" thing is explained in the game. Doesn't it have something to do with the shadows and going to the Fortress of Regrets, where if TNO dies, he will lose his personality?

Even if it was, how would it improve the motivation to follow the story line, how would it improve the story up to this point? How would it improve that the whole point of the story is "to find out what happens at the end" which is not a good story device by itself?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
What the flying fuck was your problem with the story again? I can't be bothered to dig through your incoherent wall-of-text tl;dr shit. Brevity, try it.

shardspin said:
Its dialogue actually, which you would know if you had read my post instead of relying on quotes by other people. Are you butthurt because you are the living proof of what I describe?

It doesn't surprise me that you're praising the writing in the Divinity games. Divinity 2 aside (as I haven't played it, but I doubt it's much of an improvement), neither the writing in DD or BD was anything remotely good, intelligent, or even decent. There were flashes of humor here and there, but they were for the most part lame and trying too hard to be "funny." If preferring PS:T's writing over that tripe makes me pseudo-intellectual, so be it, but then I believe that makes you a dumbfuck with terrible taste.

shardspin

Novice
Patience, try it.

It makes you look a bit dumb if you are making assumptions here based on something you have not read.

This is referring to P:ST.

Where am I praising the writing of DD1?

That you are dodging my questions regarding the flaws of PS:T's sense behind the story and the story device itself, shows that you are a fanboy unwilling to accept certain truths. Why do you think PS:T is not fun to replay at all if you remember every interesting thing you can encounter there, which is partly due to the uniqueness of it all, but is also not fun to replay if you don't remember the story itself very clearly? What makes PS:T interesting is not its story, it is all the interesting and memorable things you can encounter besides the story.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Are you butthurt because you are the living proof of what I describe?

What do you describe? What is your definition of pseudo-intellectuality? Either way, I prefer this classification to that of a retarded frat-boy which is what you appear to be.

Even if it was

It is. Have you played the game?

And if we go to over-simplification, the whole point of the story is find out what the hell started everything, not "what happens at the end". And after that happens, you have to find out how to revert it. I believe the story is very well presented and laid out, by finding bits of information and then putting them together.

shardspin

Novice
Your are obviously inable to present counter arguments to my points and are usually (not just now) falling back on ad-hominem-attacks.

But I'll make my point more clearly. Right at the beginning of the game you become aware that there is a solution to your problem, but the solution not just exists, it also evidently worked several times. What is the point then to follow the story instead of just waiting and enjoying life? The story is not good, because the story bends to the limits of the medium, the story does not take advantage of the medium, the medium takes advantage of the story.

I didn't actually think that I would need to explain that the story device "what happens at the end" is equal to "revelation of the mysteries".

made

Arcane
Good job hyping a game that otherwise wouldn't get a second glance from most people.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
made said:
Think I'll torrent it just to spite him.

Haha. After the failure that was BD (which I made the mistake of actually buying), I fully intend to torrent this one anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You should torrent it 10000 times so they go bankrupt fast you hardcore rebel kids.

Punk for life.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
shardspin said:
Why do you think PS:T is not fun to replay at all if you remember every interesting thing you can encounter there, which is partly due to the uniqueness of it all, but is also not fun to replay if you don't remember the story itself very clearly? What makes PS:T interesting is not its story, it is all the interesting and memorable things you can encounter besides the story.

What? PS:T IS fun to replay - there's still chunks of text I haven't read and since I keep two-three years between replays, it's not like I have all the lines memorized anyway. There's really nothing wrong with the story.

Chefe

Erudite
RPGKlodex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom