Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

V_K

Arcane
This seems nice, Should I get it? How does it compare to the greats?
It's significantly easier, but for the right reasons (i.e. lack of monkey wrenches), and its heart is in the right place.

I never understood why the "monkey wrench" puzzle was touted as a prime example of "moon logic" (never understood how "moon logic" was a problem either, but that's not the issue).
Well I just used it as a colloquialism. I have no idea how I'd fair with the puzzle in the first place, as I've learnt about its reputation before playing MI2.
That said, I've replayed the first Monkey Island just last week, and there are definitely a few instances (not many though) where the game requires you to perform very random actions that are very badly clued, if at all (finding the fort, for example, or getting the navigator head).

Erebus

Arcane
I've reached Chapter 3. So far, the game is okay, but not that memorable.

The art is pretty nice, that's for sure.

The humor is - in my opinion - a bit hit and miss (though there are some pretty funny jokes here and there, such as Piscilla breaking the fourth wall).

The puzzles, so far, have been really easy (and I usually suck at adventure games).

EDIT : Chapter 3 somehow manages to be even easier than the previous two.

EDIT 2 : Chapter 4 is extremely brief, but it has the first truly enjoyable puzzle in the game : the pentagram and the books. I didn't take me long to figure out the solution, but, for once, I actually had to use my brain.

I'm enjoying the humor more than I did at the beginning of the game.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished the game. It took me a bit under 10 hours.

The story ends stronger than it starts (the very last scene is fairly cool). Still, it doesn't have a very memorable plot ; I barely remember what exactly I was trying to accomplish in some of the chapters.

The main characters are okay. The way Peace is added to the team late in the game, yet barely accomplishes anything and can only be controlled for a very short time, is rather weird. The secondary characters are pretty good on average.

The puzzles unfortunately remain weak throughout the game. Very few of them took me more than a moment to solve. Most of the time, the solution can be figured out almost immediately.

The art is very good. The humor is enjoyable. The atmosphere is nice. There are some creative ideas. But the lack of challenge prevents the game from being as good as it could have been.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom