Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
My old cats name was Kitty. Mainly because he wasnt supposed to stay with us, so we just called him the kitten. Then he just...never left. And the name stuck.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Finished this yesterday night, it oozes its labour of love alright.
Gorgeous, Curse Of Monkey Island-y visuals with deliciously matte colours overall (fuck gritty brown and fuck bloom).
Given the awoved comedic angle, surprisingly non-cringy writing for the most part, even if the "battle" in Romania made me reach for Alt+F4 in half a second & subsequently cut the sound for the duration. Fuck you youngsters, where's my trigger warning ?

Now, for the love of all that is Holy Ron Brian Gilbert Moriarty, please consider putting some real (inventory & dialogue) puzzles in your next game in addition to the obvious back & forth busywork. Limiting the puzzles to a handful - easy - instances (Paris attic, Butcher lair, R'Lyeh morphing) just doesn't cut it.

Harsh wording aside, I enjoyed my time in Gibbous & I hope the Butcher wins next time. Fuck the reptilian scheming freemasons - err I mean Olmstein.
All in all, looking forward to your next endeavour. Go get stuck in the basement, now.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Oh shit, I forgot to comment here when I finished it. Zann is right, both about the puzzles and that Romanian rap cringe. Romania overall felt like it was a bit wasted, especially with all that lore buildup. I did like the ending though and the changing artstyles in the final area was a neat idea.
My old cats name was Kitty. Mainly because he wasnt supposed to stay with us, so we just called him the kitten. Then he just...never left. And the name stuck.
That's completely different.

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Zann The intention with the puzzle design was to 1) avoid backtracking as much as possible, 2) make everything as logical and non moonlogic-y as possible. Turns out that translates into puzzles that are very easy to beat. Noted for the next game, but either way we probably won't be sticking so closely to the classic formula anymore.

Jack This might surprise you, but the absolute majority of feedback we are getting on the rap part is that it was awesome. De gustibus etc, especially when it comes to music, we loved working on the part and a lot of people said it was the highlight of the game. Anyway, I've always wanted to explore going as goofy with a game as I can; I'm still not 100% sure what our next game will be, but it will definitely have less silly stuff. First and foremost because once you spend 3+ years working on a certain type of project, you really feel like doing something completely different next.

Anyway, I'm glad that we finally got to address most of the issues people had with the game (re-recorded and edited all of Buzz's voice lines - whew, THAT took a while, repainted everything so it's ultra-wide, fixed the weird alt-tab bug, added trading cards, fixed Russian and added Portuguese). Unless something unexpected happens, this is how the game is going to stay, and we can't wait to move on to the next projects, carrying the big list of do's and dont's (and I'll be honest, it's 90% dont's).

We can't wait to make an even better game. I'm still in awe at how many people have supported our first effort and its inherent misfires and awkwardness, so thanks again, everyone. Looks like we can make another one, and we won't squander that opportunity.

Wizfall

Cipher
Great game with awesome production value !
Despite not being my favorite setting/theme i enjoyed it quite a lot, i was entertain.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Zann The intention with the puzzle design was to 1) avoid backtracking as much as possible, 2) make everything as logical and non moonlogic-y as possible. Turns out that translates into puzzles that are very easy to beat. Noted for the next game, but either way we probably won't be sticking so closely to the classic formula anymore.

Didn't play much of it, visuals are stunning, the intro is alright and i like the first almost protagonist, the detective.

For me, it falls apart when you get the librarian as main character instead, i don't like his voice, then comes the cat and i find his voice equally annoying, that's where i stopped.
To me, sounds effects (and voice acting if there is any) are more important than the graphics and this is a deal breaker, would have been so much better if the detective was the main character.

I can appreciate the efforts, though, hoping you'll select voices more carefully for the next one.

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
We actually did listen to feedback and changed all of Buzz's voice lines (all 5000+ of them). They are way better now - the direction was all over the place, and they also had been recorded on various pieces of hardware, which really hurt the experience. As for Kitteh's voice - de gustibus, most people seem to adore her Thanks for supporting us, either way. And yes, the next project's audio component will be way more thoroughly planned, budgeted and executed (along with hopefully all other components).

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
Thank you , sir!
Happy holidays, everyone!

J3f8tx2.gif

E: And since I'm posting, might as well show you how we're making the physical rewards
:)

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's a bit on the easier side, but it's good so far. amazing animation, great art and background, solid soundtrack and great jokes.

this made me laugh audibly for almost a minute:

ZUetMNQ.jpg

i feel attacked

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
Hey! Thanks :) I've written everything, with the exception of some of Don's lines, where he changed them substantially so they sound more like a noir detective's.
I have to admit I mostly did it myself out of necessity, I'm very excited to have a writing partner for our next game, whatever it will be. Btw, I played two of the guys in the call, the guy with the wolves and the guy professing his love for Marioara :D

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Hey! Thanks :) I've written everything, with the exception of some of Don's lines, where he changed them substantially so they sound more like a noir detective's.
I have to admit I mostly did it myself out of necessity, I'm very excited to have a writing partner for our next game, whatever it will be. Btw, I played two of the guys in the call, the guy with the wolves and the guy professing his love for Marioara :D
Is the next game a sequel or set in the same universe?

Mr. Underhill

Stuck In Attic
Developer
We're not sure what exactly your next game will be, but we do want to make another game set in the same universe at some point. Probably following the events of Gibbous, but it might be different enough not to be called a direct sequel

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
yup. the animation are gorgeous. the background art also looks boss. hug the artist for me. it's true the final location is awesome and the ending is great. puzzle wise it is not days of tentacle or monkey island 2 but yeah. still damn good game.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
just bought this and started it at 2am. not bad so far. the pictures on steam and other reviews don't do the animation justice. the cutscenes don't do the in-game animation justice either. very nice atmospheric sound effects and music so far too. the art work is beautiful and charming. i hear high praise for the cat character but so far her voice annoys me the most.. hoping she surprises me (hate the name "kitteh" but oh well.) I like the detective the most so far and find all the voice acting to range between meh to good. buzz seems like a dumbass but that seems intentional. hopefully he becomes a likable dumbass and not just a dumbass but so far the only character i like is the detective. still very early.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Yep, same here, playing it, it's gorgeous, congrats to the artists, and well-written.
Zooming with the right button is a nice non-gameplay-mechanic that I'd like to see again.
A bit more puzzling would have been appreciated (liked the pentacle though).

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This seems nice, Should I get it? How does it compare to the greats?
It's significantly easier, but for the right reasons (i.e. lack of monkey wrenches), and its heart is in the right place.

I never understood why the "monkey wrench" puzzle was touted as a prime example of "moon logic" (never understood how "moon logic" was a problem either, but that's not the issue).
As a non-native speaker, and ignorant of the pun at the time, using the monkey to activate the pump felt, I don't know, natural ?
Of course, it might have been because I was binging on The Incredible Machine back then and using monkeys to propel retarded machinery came pretty much naturally.
The pop culture quizz at the beginning of Leisure Suit Larry, now that was bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom