Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomhaven - roguelike dungeon-crawling adaptation of the board game

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no wokeness in Gloomhaven - the accussations of such is about Frosthaven, the sequel that Childres is developing. Haven't followed development myself, so couldn't speak to it. But I wouldn't be surprised given how much it's infested the general boardgaming populace.

Thanks for claryfiying, I thought you meant GH. Haven't followed Frosthaven either, but if what you say is true that's discouraging.

There is extreme diversity in GH though - some idiots might consider that woke.

fixed
So much diversity it's a freak show.

I don't really give a damn.

HOWEVER.

The barbarian uses a shield. This game is therefore an unplayable piece of shit. 1/10, will remove the single point next week when I feel less generous.

Honestly though this is a thinking man's game so I foresee this game is gonna take a lot of my time.

You'll really like lightning bolt.
Methinks nay.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wondering if I should get into this (the PC version on Steam). Is this good to play on your second monitor while pretending to work? Is it a game I can pick up/drop within a moment's notice, and just have it sit there while I do something?

EDIT: Also do I need to buy the DLC?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
1) You should get this.
2) It depends on how much you can concentrate on the game. It's not a simple game and you have to read card abilities quite frequently (until you memorize them) and pay attention to the environment. I'm leaning towards no.
3) It's turn-based and very slow-paced, so yes.
4) You don't need to buy it, but it's good.

If you want something like Gloomhaven that is as tactically rich but not as involved, I recommend Trials of Fire.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1) It's fantastic.
2) No, in fact it's horrid for that, unless you're really good/used to it. It's quite a demanding game I'd say.
3) Yes, there's literally no point during the game you can't save and quit with ease except for an enemy's turn or very short text events.
4) No - it's basically self-contained and best played after you've familiarized yourself with the main game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Technically, Jaws of the Lion is designed to be a less expensive introductory adventure you can pick up first so you can decide whether to get the main game, but whether it succeeds at that I can't say. I played the main game first, so no idea.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
jvz8xMt.jpg

20 minutes in, already seeing a triggering bug: my second tutorial doesn't get that [v] check on it to signal its completed :argh:

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's also an issue where both you and the enemy are unable to move for some reason and you have to exit to the main menu and reload.

Lacrymas

Arcane
RNG can and does fuck you over a lot, yes. And when it goes in your favor, it's usually overkill.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RNG in this game is stupid, wish that it had some mod to get rid of it.

There's literally a houserule to remove the only form of RNG that can have massive negative impact if you're really unlucky (removes x0 and x2 cards).

However I don't agree with you or Lacrymas in this instance. Good Gloomhaven players can nearly win 100% of scenarios, it's that close to being deterministic if you're good enough. When you add the ability to houserule criticals and fumbles to that, I really don't get what the fuss is about. Probably people skirting by on a razor's edge difficulty-wise tired of that one time they drew three x0 in a single turn. I've never noticed it really and I'm not even that good (don't play on the hardest difficulty).

Also, perks are wonderful customization, why would you remove that. It's like if an RPG allowed you to change your personal set of dice for your character.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are ways to mitigate and play around the RNG, of course, but what I'm saying is that RNG usually screws you over instead of helping you out. You don't play your cards with the intention of RNG helping you, especially early on when you have no perks, so when it does go your way it's mostly overkill. Sure, there are moments where you one shot a full-hp elite with a 2x backstab, but those are rather rare.

Parabalus

Arcane
RNG is pretty noticeable when you first pick up the game, and are still learning everything.

Later on you can exploit broken stuff to not have to worry about it, if you don't want to.

Works well.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Good Gloomhaven players can nearly win 100% of scenarios, it's that close to being deterministic if you're good enough.
I'm not good, that's the problem, lol. But being seriously, I get it that you can get screwed or get lucky, but what I want for a game like this is the tactical aspect, the puzzle aspect, not the lucky one. I don't want this kind of surprise.

Parabalus

Arcane
Good Gloomhaven players can nearly win 100% of scenarios, it's that close to being deterministic if you're good enough.
I'm not good, that's the problem, lol. But being seriously, I get it that you can get screwed or get lucky, but what I want for a game like this is the tactical aspect, the puzzle aspect, not the lucky one. I don't want this kind of surprise.

You can clear later maps without even rolling modifier, just need to get the higher level cards.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Technically, Jaws of the Lion is designed to be a less expensive introductory adventure you can pick up first so you can decide whether to get the main game, but whether it succeeds at that I can't say. I played the main game first, so no idea.
It does, it takes 5 scenarios out of 25 to introduce the rules progressively. The rest of the scenarios feel manageable but retain GHs punch. The final boss is still a bitch to kill unless you come prepared.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, so I bought and played this for a bit. So far, so good. My two big concerns are: the attack roll RNG is fucking abhorrent. Worse than Darkest Dungeon, and more influential too; and that missions seem to become much harder, very fast. A basic summoned skelly attacking me 2 times per turn, always rolling +1 attack, and hitting for half my health, and there's 2 of them (more in the next room), and they have shield, and basically I have to waste so much resources dealing with them or controlling them that I can't make it till the end of this basic dungeon.

I think I'll drop it for a few days, return to it during the weekend with a clearer head.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The attack RNG is nowhere near DD level. In DD characters can die no matter how well you play, if you play well in Gloomhaven it is insanely unlikely (read: almost impossible) to lose to RNG alone.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The attack RNG is nowhere near DD level. In DD characters can die no matter how well you play, if you play well in Gloomhaven it is insanely unlikely (read: almost impossible) to lose to RNG alone.
I don't die due to RNG, but I waste cards due to RNG, and therefore I can't complete the mission. Which is a failure state.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, the power of RNG is deceptive. Yes, it tends to not go in your favor, but it's extremely manageable once you know what you are doing. Also, whydoibother, are you playing the campaign or guildmaster mode? Fighting skellies as first missions sounds like the guildmaster mode to me. The campaign is harder.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, @whydoibother, are you playing the campaign or guildmaster mode? Fighting skellies as first missions sounds like the guildmaster mode to me. The campaign is harder.
I don't recall, whichever one is the default. I start in down, hire 2 guys, get a quest to do 2 quests linked to each other. There's city quests between other quests. The initial lady giving me quests is a baddie trying to unleash undead on town. There's temple, enchanter, trader. Which mod is that?

Edit: normal difficulty, btw. I can't imagine how bad its on higher difficulties.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Stamina management is not intuitive and it's the easiest way of fucking yourself over. Rule of thumb is to never burn a card until cycle 2 or 3. And even then it's better to delay them to as late as possible as scenarios tend to get harder as rooms open. The only exception are infinite installs that are key to your class, and only if the board state allows you to.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also, @whydoibother, are you playing the campaign or guildmaster mode? Fighting skellies as first missions sounds like the guildmaster mode to me. The campaign is harder.
I don't recall, whichever one is the default. I start in down, hire 2 guys, get a quest to do 2 quests linked to each other. There's city quests between other quests. The initial lady giving me quests is a baddie trying to unleash undead on town. There's temple, enchanter, trader. Which mod is that?

Edit: normal difficulty, btw. I can't imagine how bad its on higher difficulties.

The beginning is by far the hardest part, especially if you're learning the system.

I wouldn't worry about normal difficulty is giving you trouble, it's expected, especially if running a 4 man (lots of things to keep track of immediately).

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't die due to RNG, but I waste cards due to RNG, and therefore I can't complete the mission. Which is a failure state.

Equivalent to dying. My point is the same. In DD you can play near-perfect and still lose a character, Gloomhaven is practically deterministic in comparison.

It’s a very hard game however, especially if you play solo controlling four characters. My hardest diff run doing just that may be my hardest gaming experience to date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom