Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CyberP, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    With every enemy being guaranteed one shot mole pops and the player having 100% accuracy there isn't much a fight at all. Pop out of cover, pop the mole, pop back in. Or run around with speed enhancement popping moles left and right. Imagine if Doom or System Shock had one shit kill enemies throughout? Dragging out fights is the exact purpose, and it's a good thing. The AI actually gets to go through their routines and fight back if they take more than one mole pop.

All Deus Ex games had enemies that take multiple headshots to kill, for very valid reasons. It's not inherently bad.

Yeah, it's a valid complaint. Laser mod is too OP. Having limited ammo is meant to address that, but it doesn't really if you are a good mole popper. I don't want to shifter-ify it, but I haven't really come up with a better solution yet. Simply removing the first laser mod in the game on the highest difficulty mode would work wonders for balance, but I like meh laser mods, perhaps very biased so. I shall consider it.

^ Top  
  2. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    I know that giving enough health to make AIs actually fight back or show off interesting routines is a good thing, which is why I mentioned this:

All I was saying is that overdoing it doesn't add anything to the game and can completely kill engagement for the player.

^ Top  
  3. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Of course, but is that a necessary point to make considering GMDX doesn't overdo it? Unless you think it does, but like I said I never went past vanilla's model. No enemy has more than 350hp, except on hardcore mode which is a mode for the 5% of players and the implementation is still believable anyway.

If you don't think that and were just making a general statement, well I already said "bullet sponges in moderation are fine". That "they're not inherently bad", leaving open the possibility that they can be bad if overdone.

But perhaps I'm overreacting. Could have been an innocent enough statement; a case of simply lending your thoughts, as opposed to your usual attempts to one-up me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. grimace Erudite

grimace
    ^ Top  
  5. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    I just gave Shifter's laser mod a try and I definitely can see why you wouldn't want to implement it in the same way. I think one of the worst aspects about it is that the crosshair just sits out at some distance from the true center of your aim, even though a real person would immediately try to correct that inconsistency. It's super frustrating to look at, though it is neat to see how the system decides where shots will go (very deterministic but with a variable unknown to the player, rather than an RNG roll every time you shoot, pretty cool).

All I could recommend is to keep more of the aim wavering behavior, but have it centered to the true center of your aim when you have the laser sight on. This would simulate a untrained person's lack of stability in handling a firearm, but would still give a big benefit to using the laser sight, as you would have in a real scenario. I also agree that the laser mod should stay in the first level, because it's a great bonus to players who explore and try to get their gear set up early.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    I'm not seeing any tedious bullet sponge here. Just got past the Paris catacombs and I'm one-shotting commandos with sniper headshots and the WiB too. Commandos die really fast with Dragon's Tooth Sword too, both skills on advanced. Granted, I'm playing on medium but that doesn't affect enemy health anyway?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    The suggestion was a good one, and its made it in v9.0.

Between difficulties, only on hardcore mode do certain enemies have a bit more health. Yet it still falls in to Deus Ex's semi-realistic health model. Always.

^ Top  
  8. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    I know about the other improvements to ladders, but is there any way to make it easier to mount a ladder from the top? I was playing Half Life recently and it automatically puts you onto the ladder if you walk backward onto it. If you know what you're doing you can carefully do the same in DX but it's a lot more subtle.

^ Top  
  9. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Not as far as I am aware. The unreal engine handles that, and engine modifications are out of the question as I'm not an engineer, and more importantly the source code to Unreal 1 was never publicly released. The current improvements to ladders are hacked in and are not modifications to core native ladder behavior.

Those improvements are ladder climbing sounds (previously there was none), and the ability to jump off of ladders (prev. you could only drop), for those that don't know.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Entrance to smuggler's now looks more like a parking garage as intended:

[​IMG]

Vanilla from a different angle for reference:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  11. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Clearly this needs more reflective surfaces and a piss filter. Er, sorry, I masochistically made myself play the first few levels of Revision, and now I have a verbal tic which makes me sarcastically attest to its brilliant design and [sic] visceral core. Fuck it's so bad.

This looks great, though. Someone should do an in-depth comparison of the game areas between vanilla and GMDX v9 when it comes out. And a video reviewing it and comparing it to all of the existing overhaul/gameplay mods to show how complete and meticulously crafted it is. Dammit, do I need to learn how to do video editing? And gameplay recording? And audio recording... okay maybe this is best left to someone else. I should stick to text promotion and physics stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Basically this, yes. You mentioned that bullet/damage sponges being considered bad was generally ridiculous, I aired my thoughts on why it wasn't. Like many other gameplay tropes, they can work well and do have their place but they need to be delicately managed, and more often than not designers tend to misuse them to create a "difficult" section or game mode.

^ Top  
  13. Ash Arcane

Ash
    I said sponges being considered inherently bad was ridiculous. As in people who oppose sponges in any circumstance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Heard you delayed it because you have no one to make installer.
    What stop you from packing content into archive and uploading? You can make separate folders for additional content, like it happen in Stalker mods for example.

^ Top  
  15. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Don't you think GMDX deserves better?

I'll make an installer myself if I have to. Besides, the past three or so versions had an installer so I'm not lowering past that standard.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/articles

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • incline incline x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MediantSamuel Prophet Patron

MediantSamuel
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    A proper installer is the sign of true incline, after all. Hope you get it sorted, Ash. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. grimace Erudite

grimace
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Good man. Shill GMDX everywhere. The more awareness there is the stronger it can grow in many possible respects.

Next version will be some serious incline, once again.

^ Top  
  19. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Don't forget to vote GMDX for Mod of the Year too. Click the button near the top of the page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

If you're one of those that has been voting GMDX for the past few years now, there is nothing else recent in the Deus Ex category worthy of a vote, and you can cast multiple votes anyway, so vote GMDX again.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Jeez, with that supressive fire and strafing, ai should be hard to kill (it could already be a bit rough before!).

Looking forward to this.

^ Top  
  21. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Playing through on combat + hardcore right now for testing purposes. It's good stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Ash Arcane

Ash
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Roderick Savant

Roderick
    voted

:bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MediantSamuel Prophet Patron

MediantSamuel
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. RoSoDude Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

RoSoDude
    Thoughts on this suggestion to switch out the dead NSF trooper's crossbow for a pistol in the first level? I'm inclined to agree, but I might be missing something.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.