Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Arthandas

Prophet
Looking through the code?
Yup, I checked the .inis to see if I could enable Hardcore from the start.
Extra Hardcore is for Hardcore+ mode, and is a player config.
Could you elaborate? I don't know whether I should enable it or not
Hardcore AI 1-3 are more player configs, for enemies that hear cameras alerting and other AI intelligence options I forget which now.
So enable all three then?
Another fork on the way potentially
Nah, v10 proved you shouldn't meddle with GMDX if you have no fucking idea what you're doing.

Ash

Arcane
So enable all three then?
No. If you're playing hardcore mode you have all those features by default and they cannot be turned off. They are options for lower difficulty modes - those too chicken to play hardcore proper but want some of the AI features.

These are available in-game by the way. In the menu go to options -> gmdx options -> unlocked options.

Could you elaborate? I don't know whether I should enable it or not

Use an IDE to search the entire codebase for that variable name, this way you can see exactly what it does in full. If I recall it's not much. Credits required to use saves, a few extra AI or resource economy modifiers, don't remember now.

Yup, I checked the .inis to see if I could enable Hardcore from the start.

The good news is in my fork version everything is unlocked from the start (it just strongly warns you against using them but doesn't stop you).

It's not ready yet, though.

For now, if you're going to play v9, you should play vRSD instead, since it's basically v9 but with:
- bugfixes
- inventory rotation
- balancing a lot of the more overpowered/useless augs
- much more.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update

My fork version (not ready yet) is based off vRSD and contains a lot of changes, including:
- MAJOR qol additions including a complete overhaul of the left-frob mechanic, and many belt features (belt memory, disabling belt autofill, significant bug fixes for the IW toolbelt option, etc)
- Full Lay-D Denton support
- Many many more bugfixes
- Poison inflicts Stamina damage in addition to health damage, making aqualung a viable combat augmentation.
- Complete Hacking rework. Most security objects will now reboot after a timer (2-6 minutes, depending on skill level and perks) so that bypassing with multitools is worthwhile and viable. Hacking was too good before. Now the return from the sub base contains some actual gameplay if you invest in hacking, because all the turrets and cameras you disabled will be online again and have different challenges since you're approaching from the opposite direction.
- Complete perk overhaul including unique icons for many of the perks
- Even more Augmentation rebalancing
- Less unreliable Plasma Rifle Damage (removed the headshot multiplier, as it would basically instant-kill the player if they got unlucky when being hit on all difficulties. Now all limb and head hits deal Torso damage. Same for enemies to make Plasma weapons splash damage more reliable)
- Rifle Grenades don't require reloading when switching from the normal firemode (grenades still need to be reloaded between uses), so the grenade launcher is actually useful in combat now.
- Added a small delay when enemies see the player so that strafing enemies don't instantly prefire at you around corners anymore (Hardcore+ is still as it was before, though)
- Door locking mechanics, available with the Locksport perk, so you can create chokepoints and block enemy patrol paths.
- A bunch of new high quality sounds in place of previously missing or crappy ones (like a sound for selecting lockpicks or multitools, unique equip sounds for each apparel type, etc)
- Much, much, much more.

Stay tuned, I'll post it in here when it's ready.

For now, here's a sneak peak (the brightness is off because I had to brighten the image in an image editor, because Deus Ex doesn't have proper gamma in screenshots, because the dx9 renderer sucks, despite being better than all the other ones):

qjSXzB6.png

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Overpowered augs I'll accept, even though in most cases they are nerfed versions of the vanilla augs with extra flair, or otherwise tame buffs to improve augs that sucked vanilla. Only exception is perhaps micro muscle which is indeed super powerful, though its counterpart is pretty amazing too. Useless augs though, no such thing! Every build choice is viable and that was one of RoSoDude's main praises of the mod. My only regret across the entirety of the mod in that regard is not making stealth skill better, but I didn't want to make it override pure player skill so there was a major conflict of interest there. It was supposed to be supplementary only, make stealth more fun and slightly easier as opposed to "this skill reverts AI back to blind braindead vanilla" type deal. As it stands though, it probably didn't do enough and RoSoDude's iteration of the skill is perhaps better.

Last edited:
Overpowered augs I'll accept, even though in most cases they are nerfed versions of the vanilla augs with extra flair. Useless though, no such thing! Every build choice is viable and that was one of RoSoDude's main praises of the mod.

Overpowered augs makes their alternate choices suboptimal by definition. Completely useless, maybe not (except energy resistance, that aug is literally a waste of a slot), but definitely underpowered.

Ash

Arcane
Energy Shield? Probably the best improvement to the vanilla augs I did. 10x better than what it was vanilla and not quite black and white. Regen is more powerful yes, but it is also a massive bioenergy hog. If you pick Energy Shield instead, you ideally must dump a lot of points into medicine for sure, but you also get to play with augs in general a lot more and is also ideal to combine with Synthetic heart, whereas with regen you ideally need Power Recirculator.
Also, being able to survive explosions without heavy consequences with energy shield is really nice, but yes partially offset by the ADS aug should you take that and use it efficiently. Even being set on fire is no big deal, while with regen to survive you need to activate regen and lose a lot of energy, while spamming medkits, if no extinguisher or water nearby.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
The DSM-5 indicates that persons with narcissistic personality disorder usually display some or all of the following symptoms, typically without the commensurate qualities or accomplishments:

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Needing continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
Unwilling to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
Intensely envious of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Pompous and arrogant demeanor

Arthandas

Prophet
The DSM-5 indicates that persons with narcissistic personality disorder usually display some or all of the following symptoms, typically without the commensurate qualities or accomplishments:

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
Needing continual admiration from others
Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
Unwilling to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
Intensely envious of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
Pompous and arrogant demeanor
Are you ds's personal psychiatrist or something? Please keep your sessions private.

Beastro

Arcane
Ah another little degen, how unfortunate. They're everywhere on this board these days. Lol you're one to talk. You cried hard in the thread dedicated to this guys' insanity when he was stalking you, and he was only stalking you with 1/4 he intensity he is doing to me, merely only rating your posts. Also, embarrassing myself how. By...not backing down to deranged retard autists? Cool. Then I shall "embarrass" myself some more. Forget I ever invoked your name, weirdo.

Yes, Bean's a rather odd fellow, we all know that, but someone who defends FFVIII gqme deaign as zealously as you do should not be calling other's degenerates so casually.

Ash

Arcane
I play it modded, so that sways my praise for it somewhat significantly, but even without it's still way more gameplay-centric and well-executed than a lot of RPGs out there. :salute:
But yes, it is a failure of a game overall because of fucktarded balance, don't think for a second that I deny that. It is just important to know if you have interest in the series (which you should) that a mod exists which fixes all that with a few simple no-brainer tweaks.

I gotta say GMDX 10.0 is way better. None of the creepy BS in GMDX 9.
The more important thing is game balance which Ash fundamentally doesn't understand.

Yeah, that's why V10 fundamentally undermined core skills like lockpicking by ensuring there's always a naked solution to every possible alternate path, rendering the whole thing useless outside of opening the occasional optional chest.

That's also why V10 removed all the super hard late-game enemies, because Deus Ex was already notoriously easy and remains so in V10.

If Ash doesn't understand balance, the V10 developers have nuked balance from orbit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom