Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization that will probably make me sound like an old fart but I'll be damned if the cancerous bullshit eating away at every form media isn't a direct result of the social media explosion.
What do you mean?
average video game now reads like a twitter conversation full of short, snarky comments that the writers think are the height of wit
only thing they're missing are the clap emojis

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization that will probably make me sound like an old fart but I'll be damned if the cancerous bullshit eating away at every form media isn't a direct result of the social media explosion.
What do you mean?
average video game now reads like a twitter conversation full of short, snarky comments that the writers think are the height of wit
Ah right yes, films, tv shows also generally have twitter style writing too now.

Ravielsk

Magister
I personally blame ideological hiring practices more than anything else. People hired to do writing these days are not hired because they can write but because they tick some sort of ideological checkbox. The twatter writing is just the result of them not not being able to separate their writing from themselves enough to not write everything as a self insert. And since they cannot be fired they will also never improve.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It's rare to find someone who isn't a memebrained retard nowadays, so it's apt to consider the influence of twitter and other popular social media websites on people's miscreations. You could hire people that don't tick the boxes and likely they still would write trash imitating dominant writing styles of their social media of choice.

Machocruz

Arcane
You need a John "He doesn't write for women and he doesn't write for pussies. He writers for men, 'cause he's a man" Millius or Robert E Howard type to write stories of this nature. Otherwise you wind up with your badass ancient warrior carrying "his" son around on his back like a gimp.

elverkongen

Learned
What do you mean?
That, and the preponderance of all that is "woke".

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
It's a bold choice to make Odin talk like a HIV positive Silicon Valley tech executive. He actually referred to Freya as his "ex".

My expectations for this game was lower than the world's lowest limbo bar; but damn, this is depressing. How can they write shit like that?
UPLeO7X.png

Oh, I see it now...

Seethe

Arbiter
This is in fact the truth, but the reason it's this bad is because of social media's multiplier: the smartphone.

Goratg

Novice
Fellas I think you need to relax. So far it isn't particularly woke and the gameplay is quite good. Not a Last of Us Part II situation at all.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Fellas I think you need to relax. So far it isn't particularly woke and the gameplay is quite good. Not a Last of Us Part II situation at all.

Yeah, it isn't woke the slightest. I am completely sure this is how a Jotun, a character from a NORSE mythology looks like :
9520631b31f34b4f46c3.jpg

And the gameplay is not nowhere good; it is %100 decline compared to the original God of War trilogy.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You need a John "He doesn't write for women and he doesn't write for pussies. He writers for men, 'cause he's a man" Millius or Robert E Howard type to write stories of this nature. Otherwise you wind up with your badass ancient warrior carrying "his" son around on his back like a gimp.
Old GoW story worked well enough
You just need writers that aren't totally incompetent, twitter parrots that together form an echo chamber

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
the 2018 one was shit, wouldn't expect the new one to be any better
again, no idea how it's so popular
It's a "cinematic" game, so journos can pretend they're reviewing real art and give it 10/10, and Soyny drones are starved for decent exclusives and will overhype everything.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Someone posted these in another thread:
1668079630423405-fs8-png.30395

1668079806836262-fs8-png.30396
1668081217185722-fs8-png.30397
1668082198534162-fs8-png.30398
1668100776546484-fs8-png.30399
I've been watching the video walkthrough of the story and the dialogue is indeed mediocre for the most part. A lot of stupid banter and not enough action. I really enjoyed the previous game, but this is a sharp decline from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom