Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Management / Sim Godhood - create your own religion game from Abbey Games - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, Nov 30, 2018.

1. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Aaaand, it's pretty bad.
    Those reviews, wow... what the hell were the devs thinking with some of that stuff?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    That blurb followed by the footage in the OP was a dead giveaway
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. Axioms Educated

Axioms
    Those Steam reviews are brutal lol. Even recommend reviews are pretty negative. Not shocked though, these guys have never seemed to understand the point of god games. Yeah indirect control, but that doesn't excuse every single other feature...

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://community.abbeygames.com/threads/coming-soon-the-will-of-the-people-update.334/

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    With how shitty the base game is, the only Will that's coming is Wheaton.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    https://community.abbeygames.com/threads/coming-september-4th-the-old-one-rising-update.388/

^ Top  
  7. BrotherFrank Nouveau Riche Patron

BrotherFrank
    Allright gave this a chance, as previously stated I liked the dev's other games and respect that their games have been experimental rather then deriative.

First thought is: they released on early access too early. Damn, I had fun in my runs but looking back at the latest big updates and how they changed mechanics and balance I dread to think how the game was even just a month ago, it must have been REALLY shitty.

As it stands with the recent big update turned a non game into a game, there's actual strategy needed in terms of building your teams and developping your roster and village before you run out of crystal skulls (another new thing, I kinda hate it as feels like an artificial way of imposing a time limit but without it the game would have 0 challenge, though again makes me wonder how things were before) and I can see what they are going for in the core gameplay loop and it's not bad, just missing lots of depth.

I'm noticing a theme with these devs... They like to make their games "bite sized" in that it's beatable in a long afternoon (can clear a renowned explorer run in like 6 hours and reus has a hard time limit of line an hour or 2 if memory serves), which ain't a bad thing since their other games were highly replayable, especially RE on which I clocked an honorable 82 hours.

But godhood is far, far FAR from reaching that point yet. There's a decent variety of classes for what's available, enough to make roster building require thinking (you only have 7 slots max for disciples and there's like 9 classes? Plus disciples age so you might want to train up some younglings), find base building equally functional but spartan but what really kills it for me are lack of options for your religion and virtues/tenents. I know they just added the system (which again, makes me dread to imagine how game was like before) but if they intend this game to be replayable they are going to need a lot more then what is currently on offer, after 3 runs (1st was as a lust god, then tried madness god, ended with a war god run) I felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer already. Tenet wise there's a choice between animalism vs tribal burial and that's it, and game is short enough you will barely finish 1 tree and get half way in another before game's over. Said trees are also short (just 3-4 steps to grab every research you can). Even when they add in greed vs charity virtues, that's still not going to be nearly enough.

Otherwise the way the campaign works atm is clearly a placeholder so no comments about that other then atm it's basic: same old path each time.

Re sjw stuff: One thing I can confirm on the sjw side is that the char gen tends to give you a LOT of girly men and bearded women. Like omfg... Pretty much have to tinker with every new disciple I get to make them look like men/women. I still maintain the devs don't have an agenda and have innocent intentions but the end result of a char gen that is 100% rng is lots of bearded women and guys with effiminate looks.

Overall verdict atm: Am ambivalent. Certainly can't recommend it to any codexer in its current state and Abbey's going to have to add a lot more for the game to have replayibility. In its current form you are good for about 2 runs before games has nothing more to show you (so 6 hours-ish).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    It looks like Abbey Games is going down the tubes and new features won't be added after launch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abbeygames/godhood/posts/2675354

• Despair Despair x 5
    • :( :( x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    FFS. Rather than make this game, they should've done that Renowned Explorers dating sim they did a mock-up of for Aprils Fool's day.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Axioms Educated

Axioms
    Well considering the game looked like trash from the word go, not shocking they screwed themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    I can confirm this is is NOT A GOD GAME. It pretends to be one but you don't really feel like a god. You don't really build up your religion's tenets (sure you get to pick one at the start) like you would in CK2. You can't really interact or impact the world, just do build up your village and do battles. Heck there is no direct or indirect confrontation with other gods.

Overall it felt like the marketing was misleading. TBH if they don't finish this game, I will not be sad, because it felt more like a mobile game in it's overall design philosophy.

I loved REUS, now that felt like a god game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We're totally proud of that game that we really messed up!

I get it, though, nobody likes to admit that their babies are bad and/or do not have an objective view of it and/or have no desire to develop such a view.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Someone is still working on this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    Looks like I should give this game an other spin, it has been getting a ton of updates since the last time I played.

^ Top  
  16. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    Milestone #2 is out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    https://community.abbeygames.com/threads/update-5-righteous-rituals-has-arrived.507/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.