Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They probably dumped a lot of money into Galaxy 2.0 as well, I'd guess.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Does anyone have a mostly-up-to-date and reliable list of GOG games that don't work on win 10 (like Incubation)? Bonus points for the list also having games that don't work out-of-the-gog, but can be quickly and reliably fixed. I'm asking about win10 related stuff specifically, not all their borked releases that require external fixes no matter what you run them on.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Damn, that list is long. How the feck does something like Tropico 5 not work :lol: Need to check a couple of titles later and confirm.

Dux

Arcane
Damn, that list is long. How the feck does something like Tropico 5 not work :lol: Need to check a couple of titles later and confirm.

I glanced through the list and I have to say that it is misleading. I have Win 10 and I have played:

Ground Control (no problem)
Divine Divinity (I know there's performance issues if you have certain settings enabled)
Freespace (no problem)
Empire Earth 2 (the unofficial patch makes it run flawlessly)
Europa Universalis (run through the excellent DxWnd - music will probably not work unfortunately; run DxWnd with most old Paradox games to get them to work)
Soul Reaver (can't remember any problems - has been a while since I played it)
Soul Reaver 2 (runs flawlessly through DxWnd with specific settings - look them up)
Nox (I can't recall having any issues with this game)
Seven Kingdoms (runs flawlessly through DxWnd)
Star Wars Starfighter (can't remember any problems with this but I haven't played much of it)
X-Wing Alliance (played through it without any real issue - it can be a finicky game to setup though)
SWAT 3 (played through it without issue)
Temple of Elemental Evil (there's the patch which makes it run flawlessly)
Vampire the Masquerade - Redemption (I haven't played through this one yet but it seems to work fine - especially with the AoR mod)
Wing Commander 3 (this depends on some settings, as I recall, but it should run fine after some tweaking)
Wing Commander 4 (same as above)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Nox does suffer from the showstopping screen flickering when just installed and run, but for me it is enough to force it to run through integrated GPU (win7) or just set compatibility to win98 (win10). So I'd classify it as a "standard borked gog release" and not "win10 is shit lol".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This filter seems to show all games that has no Win 10 in specification, so it may be really out of date.

Yeah, GOG were not super aggressive in labeling everything Win10 compatible and people seem think no Win10 listing means it doesn't work. The vast majority work fine, and the majority of the rest that have any kind of fanbase at all have fan patches/tweaks.

PCGamingWiki is a great resource.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, that why I'm asking, because while there are (kinda) false-positives, like Nox, there definitely are games that don't work on win10 while giving absolutely no problems on win7. Like Incubation, which is an amazing game and a must play imo. Also, if something need a virtual machine to run then I wouldn't classify that as "working".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Someone should make an accurate list, sure. I'm just saying it would probably be very small, and mostly obscure titles, which is likely why it doesn't exist.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Any game that doesn't run (properly) for you, you can refund on GOG. So not really worth the effort of doing in-depth preemptive investigations that may or may not be accurate any more at the time of you actually playing the games in question.

Monk

Arcane
Is that something like a 50-percent profit margin? If so, that's very good.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamn GOG with their patch delays. Pissing me off for the last 5 years. Right now, Frostpunk, crashing. Steam users got their hotfix today afternoon while my game still keeps crashing. Just lost an hour of progress.

How difficult is it to release a patch as soon as the devs provide it FFS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Galaxy version or offline installer? GOG's mentioned tons of times that the patches for offline installers are delivered by the devs really late sometimes because of how unusual it is as part of their pipeline. If it's Galaxy though then yeah, bullshit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Galaxy version or offline installer? GOG's mentioned tons of times that the patches for offline installers are delivered by the devs really late sometimes because of how unusual it is as part of their pipeline. If it's Galaxy though then yeah, bullshit.
Yeah, Galaxy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah, Galaxy.
So after chatting a bit with GOG support they informed me the hotfix has been applied on the Galaxy version two days ago. They almost sounded as if I'm a big dumbo who is complaining about nothing.

Except they haven't updated the patch notes. Or indicated in any way the hotfix went out. And the game version displayed on the main menu is still the same.

Yeah.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Control is DRM free on Epic so it makes sense to do a GOG release right away. Good on them for both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom