Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Parsifarka

Arcane
From Good Old Games, a value-adding prestige project highly regarded by customers and running at an acceptable loss, to literally GOG: a money sinkhole, a bloated monster born by hubris selling broken releases and sinking the company into a dismal hellscape of anime lolis and cringe "narrative experiences" ruled by trannies.

Thinking that once Steam caught up with the retro fad and opened the flood gates for DOSbox configs themselves GOG could stay afloat by beating them at the big boy game while lowering the quality of their releases instead of increasing their specialization and creating their own label for directly acquiring and managing rights over old gems is one of the most deranged decisions I have ever seen from this industry, and there's a shit-ton out there to choose from.
But the fact that they keep insisting in their errors and only pile up new ones, furiously digging up the GOG grave, is what's most astonishing because it's not even like they are cutting costs by doing this —these keep mounting up but get systematically wasted in staggering, patently wrong choices.

The only explanation I can think of for this active self-sabotage is that GOG's budget is being used to steal money away from the company and distribute it among friends, family and potential plaintiffs of CDPR directives, a process that's been accelerated as the prospects of post-Cybercrap 2077 dividends don't look so hot to the owners anymore.
At first it was sad, then comical but as I look back at what Good Old Games once was this yearslong charade becomes frankly infuriating. Bunch of retards.

Statistically, one of the Poles here in the Codex must work at CDPR: we know you are reading this, so please publicly punch in the face whomever is in charge of GOG. Long live the new 'dex.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
instead of increasing their specialization and creating their own label for directly acquiring and managing rights over old gems

This is cope though. It would have been cool PR for CD Projekt but it wouldn't have been some growth engine for the company. I think there's really nothing GOG could have done to grow their business - their real choice was to accept that they were never going to do anything but tread water once all the biggest classics became available.

But at second glance maybe you realize that.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not like they ran Gog fantastically well before all this. Remember the shutdown stunt?

Lucumo

Educated
According to this report GOG lost 25% more money in the single year of 2021 than they made profit during the three years of 2018-2020 combined (including all the Cyberpunk 2077 sales & pre-orders).
How the fuck is that even possible ?
Didn't they shift Gwent away from GOG? Pretty sure they made a pretty penny with that when it was somewhat popular.

How fucking hard was it it just keep a platform selling games without DRM while keeping a positive balance.
They had designers working tirelessly to completely screw the website up. "People using IE to access the site? Screw them!" (Well, not undeserved, considering IE had always been garbage.) "Forks of popular browsers or smaller ones? Screw the people using those!" As they said: "GOG will only support the latest version of the most popular browsers." Obviously, this is a pretty retarded move, as you want to attract as many customers as possible. And considering a lot of people went there for old games, it wouldn't surprise me if they used old PCs, browsers etc too.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I downright was a fan of GoG in the beginning. I'd be really interested in all the mangement decisions that led to what the site is now. They must have some actual retards in charge.

Melcar

Arcane
They keep trying to get me to buy shit from them. Just this week I got their newsletter several times and like 5 "exclusive" discount codes.

Vatnik Wumao
From Good Old Games, a value-adding prestige project highly regarded by customers and running at an acceptable loss, to literally GOG: a money sinkhole, a bloated monster born by hubris selling broken releases and sinking the company into a dismal hellscape of anime lolis and cringe "narrative experiences" ruled by trannies.
That's what you get when you do not render unto Gabe what is Gabe's.
201810519539_1.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yet when Gaben is himself rendered unto God, what's happening to GOG will likely seem like a joke compared to what'll happen to Steam.

Comte_II

New Fag
Patron
Yet when Gaben is himself rendered unto God, what's happening to GOG will likely seem like a joke compared to what'll happen to Steam.

Gamepass style subscriptions seem like they will be the future. With all these megacorps gaming companies forming. The new cable for zoomers and millenials. Buy a subscription play whatever game you want released by your favorite studios! Fallout 5, Pillars of Eternity 4! The possibilities are endless!

Sarathiour

Cipher
Gamepass is the most infuriating thing I have seen in the gaming industry in recent year. It will clearly be hamfisted through it's necessary use for multiplayer.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
The only explanation I can think of for this active self-sabotage is that GOG's budget is being used to steal money away from the company and distribute it among friends, family and potential plaintiffs of CDPR directives, a process that's been accelerated as the prospects of post-Cybercrap 2077 dividends don't look so hot to the owners anymore. At first it was sad, then comical but as I look back at what Good Old Games once was this yearslong charade becomes frankly infuriating. Bunch of retards.

Statistically, one of the Poles here in the Codex must work at CDPR: we know you are reading this, so please publicly punch in the face whomever is in charge of GOG. Long live the new 'dex.

Or someone behind the scenes wishes to make a lot of money on Put options shorting CDPR stock, and the best way to do that is to tank the company from the inside. Wouldn't be the first time it had been done.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Will non-GoG installs for cd based old games still work on modern operating systems like W10?

Depends. If the installer (or executable) is a 32-bit program then it should run, but there are numerous other things to check for first.

But if it's a 16-bit program, then it won't run without a wrapper. Check this post for more info. (Check out the whole thread for more info in general.)

Glop_dweller

Cipher
Be careful with some of that stuff... It's not worth installing Starforce or other hyper-aggressive DRMs along with the games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I thought all starforce shit was stripped? Though, I'm always hesitant about trying Ruins of myth drannor again. Yeah, that sucked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom