Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've never played Skyrim.
I've played it shortly, can't see the appeal. It sounds cool on paper but playing it is myself - nah.
I rather play some mediocre, forgotten or even easterneuropean RPGs than this.

Isn't that more or less every Elder Scroll game? I really don't recall massive interaction in the others except maybe when you did the main quests and that is more or less sctipted. Is it EVEN WORSE?!
Not really Daggerfall and Arena are both mechanically rich enough to keep you interested with those mechanics alone. The quests are not exactly 10/10 but the gameplay variety makes up for it. Morrowind is in a similar boat except it also has the advantage of the Vvardenfell. Oblivion can at least claim to have really well done quest lines but Skyrim is just bad on almost all levels. All the previous games had some qualities that make them good even without extensive mods but Skyrim genuinely needs like 150+ mod lists to even resemble a competent product.

The problem is that Skyrim is at most a 20 hour game stretched into a 200+ hour game. Because that is how long it takes for you to see everything the game has to offer. After the 20 hour mark its just (poorly) shuffling numbers around. I am 100% convinced most modders do not even play Skyrim or games for that matter because I cannot otherwise explain how they can spend sometimes years perfecting mods that amount to little more than minor tweaks that require other 10 mods to even become... well not "shit". Vampire overhauls are on their own barely spell packs, most spell mods are either worthless(too weak or have no actual use) or broken, enemy mods are entirely invalidated by the leveled lists, loot mods do not grasp the concept of scarcity and combat overhauls are boil down to making enemies roll around or deal bizarre amounts of damage. Only when you slap like 200 of them together do you start seeing something resembling an actual effect on the game but even that evaporates after the 20 hour mark.

Skyrim is like Daggerfall in that you spend the vast majority of time doing dungeons, but the dungeons are much worse. The mechanics are also much worse, and the story is worse. The overworld being pretty and varied, plus Soule's soundtrack, are the only things it has going for it.
Skyrim is a tool that grants access to the real game: Enderal. Nothing else to say.

So..... DEFINITETLY DO NOT PLAY VANILLA SKYRIM!! ???

It's a trap. Every Bethesda game is.

Modding support is also a trap like racofer showed; they get you to spend hours upon hours trying to fix the game to your liking until you realize it was all cosmetic bullshit and the core is still rotten.

I expect Starfield to be more of the same.

This second video is long, but it's worth checking the chapters about Art Direction, Exploration, Combat, and Writing.

Ravielsk

Magister
I say you have to let it rest for a while, then finally try and play it properly modded*, and for heaven's sake DON'T try to do everything, if you do you're the one trying to break the illusion of a large, living world to have adventures in.

* Requiem + intelligent selection of other mods
Requiem just flips it into just a different state of awful where the game just becomes a chore before level 20 only to then go back to being Skyrim but slightly less broken. Besides the core issue with Skyrim is not even mechanical its that those mechanics have no purpose in the game world and well over half of them could be cut without even affecting the game. Without a full quest overhaul(not just a shitty kill all members hack job) requiem is just a exercise in polishing a turd.
But to say that it's a 20 hour game is simply a misrepresentation (of course we are talking about averages, some will hate it from the start, and some will love it despite everything).
No, Skyrim is a 20 hour game simply because 20 hours is the how long it takes for the player to experience everything the game has to offer. Past that mark you are simply repeating content with a slight coat of paint but that is it. The game is at that point effectively over as it has nothing more to offer. Its not a matter of total play time but how much of that time can be considered a decent experience.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, Skyrim is a 20 hour game simply because 20 hours is the how long it takes for the player to experience everything the game has to offer. Past that mark you are simply repeating content with a slight coat of paint but that is it.

Eh, you can apply that to any game with a core gameplay loop - e.g. pacman would be a ~30 second game because that is how long it takes to beat the first level and all the rest are slight coat of paint. Depending on how you feel about it and how much nuance you want to ignore so you can simplify things, it would apply to almost all games with levels after the game has introduced all of its mechanics. Kinda like a friend of mine who thinks all first person shooters are the same because all you do is point and shoot at things.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
"first Eastern European boomer shooter ever made."

first ukr one? probably. first eastern european one? lol no, dungeons of the kremlin beat chasm to the punch there, although that game is virtually unknown outside of game preservation circles

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

first ukr one? probably. first eastern european one? lol no, dungeons of the kremlin beat chasm to the punch there, although that game is virtually unknown outside of game preservation circles
Was it Dungeons of Kremlin or Old Gold 3D? I think the latter came out first, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a FPS. I'm not enough of an expert to know the specifics I'm afraid.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

Was it Dungeons of Kremlin or Old Gold 3D? I think the latter came out first, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as a FPS. I'm not enough of an expert to know the specifics I'm afraid.

the old-games.ru articles for both of those list 1995 as the release date, but not the specific month or day

Baron Dupek

Arcane

manifest

Educated
The only reason you need a differentiator at all is because the market became totally saturated with console shooters.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The only reason you need a differentiator at all is because the market became totally saturated with console shooters.
Even console shooters have declined. Remember, once upon a time even those were better. Not ever superior to the classics, but they put in some good titles. Timesplitters...Syphon Filter...uh...SOCOM. Metroid Prime even if its more of an action-adventure. They tried to differentiate each other from the pack...now it all seems like a mass of bland gray goo.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Is GOG support basically non-existent these days? Tried going through the usual channels at first and got directed to a fucking automated bot. So I tried going around that by sending an email instead and I haven't got any reply after two weeks. Did CDPR cut down GOG's budget or something?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Is GOG support basically non-existent these days? Tried going through the usual channels at first and got directed to a fucking automated bot. So I tried going around that by sending an email instead and I haven't got any reply after two weeks. Did CDPR cut down GOG's budget or something?
Your best bet is to shout at their forums. Blues will often reply there and check it out.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Was it even existent in the first place ? I think I made one five years ago for BG1 and never got an answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom