Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
92e303159978c9fc0fe6daff15d9e4ec.jpg

manifest

Educated
Holy shit, they added useful price sorting options to their store:

image.png

Now if they'd just put them in my wishlist...

Semiurge

Cipher
Come on, Todd. Full price (with a discount) for an 11 years old game :lol::lol:

And the game gets updated again. Which means, most of existing mods will break. And apparently, the GOG version is separate from the Steam versions, requiring a specific SKSE version, meaning that other mods that also rely on game-specific versions are fucked. Bethesda always delivers.

The price alone would seem like a "DRM-free tax", and with the other differences it becmes even more obvious they want Steam to have the advantage over GOG. Smells like product differentiation. I refuse to believe the lack of Creation Club features explains these differences in the game engine.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wow, Skyrim finally available DRM free again after so many years (IIRC the very first version released could be played DRM free for a short while before forced Steam update).

jimster

Educated
Come on, Todd. Full price (with a discount) for an 11 years old game :lol::lol:

And the game gets updated again. Which means, most of existing mods will break. And apparently, the GOG version is separate from the Steam versions, requiring a specific SKSE version, meaning that other mods that also rely on game-specific versions are fucked. Bethesda always delivers.

The price alone would seem like a "DRM-free tax", and with the other differences it becmes even more obvious they want Steam to have the advantage over GOG. Smells like product differentiation. I refuse to believe the lack of Creation Club features explains these differences in the game engine.
It says it works with the same mods; what's the big deal?

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've played it shortly, can't see the appeal.
The appeal is to slap 150 mods on it and expect it to become a good game. Unfortunately, in these 11 years since its release, none of the mods fixed the core issues with the game: lack of world building, lack of world reaction to player actions, lack of player choice, etc.

Modded Skyrim is a glorified open world free-roaming game, and that's it. It's not a sandbox, since you are extremely limited on what you can do that directly affects the game world. It's also not a RPG, since there is nothing the player does related to the story/plot/quests that have any consequence whatsoever; you can kill the fucking emperor and the world does not acknowledge that fact. At all. A larping simulator is probably the best way to describe Skyrim, since everything happens exclusively on the player's imagination.

Some claim Skyrim is all about the exploration, but the reality is that there is nothing to discover. Every cave, every dungeon, every ruin, have nothing in them other than enemies for you to slain and some fat chest at the end with 50 gold coins and a ruby. Discovering "interesting" NPCs is also a fallacy, as there are none. No NPC interacts with the player in any meaningful way. They have no backstories, no dialogue, no purpose on the game world other than give you quests, and zero interaction with the player regarding the events that unfold as you progress on the extremely linear story of the game and its side quests. The so called "lore" present in Skyrim only exists in books spread throughout the game, and most of those were copied from Morrowind and directly contradict the events on Skyrim itself, so talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

The game systems are also broken and not fun. You can become proficient at every skill by grinding alone, and only by grinding. But to what end? The entire game revolves around killing enemies and leveling up. There is next to no player skill involved in this game, so it's not like you become more proficient at the game either. The speech tree is useless, as there are no NPCs to interact with to make use of your speech abilities.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've played it shortly, can't see the appeal.
The appeal is to slap 150 mods on it and expect it to become a good game. Unfortunately, in these 11 years since its release, none of the mods fixed the core issues with the game: lack of world building, lack of world reaction to player actions, lack of player choice, etc.

Modded Skyrim is a glorified open world free-roaming game, and that's it. It's not a sandbox, since you are extremely limited on what you can do that directly affects the game world. It's also not a RPG, since there is nothing the player does related to the story/plot/quests that have any consequence whatsoever; you can kill the fucking emperor and the world does not acknowledge that fact. At all. A larping simulator is probably the best way to describe Skyrim, since everything happens exclusively on the player's imagination.

Some claim Skyrim is all about the exploration, but the reality is that there is nothing to discover. Every cave, every dungeon, every ruin, have nothing in them other than enemies for you to slain and some fat chest at the end with 50 gold coins and a ruby. Discovering "interesting" NPCs is also a fallacy, as there are none. No NPC interacts with the player in any meaningful way. They have no backstories, no dialogue, no purpose on the game world other than give you quests, and zero interaction with the player regarding the events that unfold as you progress on the extremely linear story of the game and its side quests. The so called "lore" present in Skyrim only exists in books spread throughout the game, and most of those were copied from Morrowind and directly contradict the events on Skyrim itself, so talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

The game systems are also broken and not fun. You can become proficient at every skill by grinding alone, and only by grinding. But to what end? The entire game revolves around killing enemies and leveling up. There is next to no player skill involved in this game, so it's not like you become more proficient at the game either. The speech tree is useless, as there are no NPCs to interact with to make use of your speech abilities.
Isn't that more or less every Elder Scroll game? I really don't recall massive interaction in the others except maybe when you did the main quests and that is more or less sctipted. Is it EVEN WORSE?!

Ravielsk

Magister
Isn't that more or less every Elder Scroll game? I really don't recall massive interaction in the others except maybe when you did the main quests and that is more or less sctipted. Is it EVEN WORSE?!
Not really Daggerfall and Arena are both mechanically rich enough to keep you interested with those mechanics alone. The quests are not exactly 10/10 but the gameplay variety makes up for it. Morrowind is in a similar boat except it also has the advantage of the Vvardenfell. Oblivion can at least claim to have really well done quest lines but Skyrim is just bad on almost all levels. All the previous games had some qualities that make them good even without extensive mods but Skyrim genuinely needs like 150+ mod lists to even resemble a competent product.

The problem is that Skyrim is at most a 20 hour game stretched into a 200+ hour game. Because that is how long it takes for you to see everything the game has to offer. After the 20 hour mark its just (poorly) shuffling numbers around. I am 100% convinced most modders do not even play Skyrim or games for that matter because I cannot otherwise explain how they can spend sometimes years perfecting mods that amount to little more than minor tweaks that require other 10 mods to even become... well not "shit". Vampire overhauls are on their own barely spell packs, most spell mods are either worthless(too weak or have no actual use) or broken, enemy mods are entirely invalidated by the leveled lists, loot mods do not grasp the concept of scarcity and combat overhauls are boil down to making enemies roll around or deal bizarre amounts of damage. Only when you slap like 200 of them together do you start seeing something resembling an actual effect on the game but even that evaporates after the 20 hour mark.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim is like Daggerfall in that you spend the vast majority of time doing dungeons, but the dungeons are much worse. The mechanics are also much worse, and the story is worse. The overworld being pretty and varied, plus Soule's soundtrack, are the only things it has going for it.

mastroego

Arcane
The right mods* turn it into an actual, gentleman's game.
If it was released with Requiem from the start people would have screamed "miracle!", instead, we were already fatigued by the undeniable repetitiveness of some (many) of its aspects, and for having played it - for all its faults - for tens or hundreds of hours.

But to say that it's a 20 hour game is simply a misrepresentation (of course we are talking about averages, some will hate it from the start, and some will love it despite everything).

I say you have to let it rest for a while, then finally try and play it properly modded*, and for heaven's sake DON'T try to do everything, if you do you're the one trying to break the illusion of a large, living world to have adventures in.

* Requiem + intelligent selection of other mods

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a trap. Every Bethesda game is.

Modding support is also a trap like racofer showed; they get you to spend hours upon hours trying to fix the game to your liking until you realize it was all cosmetic bullshit and the core is still rotten.

I expect Starfield to be more of the same.

mastroego

Arcane
It's a trap. Every Bethesda game is.

Modding support is also a trap like racofer showed; they get you to spend hours upon hours trying to fix the game to your liking until you realize it was all cosmetic bullshit and the core is still rotten.
Come on we've been over this for years.
Just check the Skyrim thread.
It's not rotten with Requiem, though it certainly can be argued that it's something else from the original, erm, vision.
Some things will never be "fixed", granted, but there's an experience to be had with Requiem that many players enjoy.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New titels
https://af.gog.com/en/game/dawn_of_magic_2?as=1649904300
RPG from the slav side, only sequel? Not the first time they release latest games before first one... and no idea about quality
https://af.gog.com/en/game/borderzone?as=1649904300
remember that one from GamersGate site, they had a lot of hidden titles
but also better ones...
https://af.gog.com/game/meat_puppet?as=1649904300
some cyberpunko game looking like reskinned Crusader No
https://af.gog.com/en/game/el_matador?as=1649904300
decent action game with bullet time, quite hard from what I remember...

There might be more new games but the modern garbage desing won't let me see all of the new titles, no matter the setup.

Still no Gruntz, Claw or Get Medieval in sight...

Fd0_CC_akAIdfHZ

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I just saw this... any good?
I never played it back when it released because it was riddled with in-game purchases and other bullshit. I heard it was patched out years later, and I expect the GOG version to be the whole package.

But don't forget this is 2022 GOG, so better check what other people say beforehand.

By the way, those with Amazon Prime will also get it this month:

OHUKe3t.jpeg

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
iirc by the time I played it the in-game purchase stuff was all backpedaled and removed due to backlash

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom