Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GoG's Dead

Zeus

Cipher
CrimHead said:
Who the fuck are you supporting by buying games from GOG?

Triumph Studios (Age of Wonders), Attic Entertainment Software (Realms of Arkania), or any of the other developers who've gone on record supporting sales of their games through GOG.

It's sad that some people can't admit to piracy and insist on using euphemisms like "abandonware."

Protip: The abandonware concept was, this software has been abandoned and is no longer being sold, not, I don't really want to pay for that.

Quilty

Magister
CrimHead said:
I don't get this thread. GOG sells abandonware.

Check out that last sentence again just in case you don't already feel like a dumbfuck consumerist.

THEY SELL

ABANDONWARE

AND YOU BUY IT

Who the fuck are you supporting by buying games from GOG? Good riddance I say. GOG were worse than pirates.

I think it's actually far more :smug: to grab Freespace 2 for a couple of dollars from gog than do something ridiculous like preordering prince of persia from Steam.

In fact, I now realize that for a while I even used gog as a dieting technique: "man, I could go for a quick five dollar lunch of pizza and a coke...instead, I'll pretend I'm a diligent worker and not take my lunch break while in fact spending a fiver on a might and magic pack and playing that until five o'clock."

Didn't make me feel any less of a silly consumerist, though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wouldn't trust a pole with a penny. How can they run this into the ground the fucking day after they run a sales promotion. Germany fucking take over again please, poles cannot into fucking anything except game wikis.

Zeus

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
CrimHead said:
Who the fuck are you supporting by buying games from GOG?

Zeus answered your question perfectly in the above post.

Herve Caens.

More like Lennart Sas, lead designer of Age of Wonders, Director at Triumph Studios, whose website proudly proclaims, "Age of Wonders® can now be purchased online via GOG.com and Impulse!"

I guess some people pirate software and get on with it, while others spend their days trying to justifypirating software.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Their version of tonal annihilation is the only one that had digital audio tracks working with the exe. Every single torrent i found forced me to actually burn the disc and play it in the CD drive. GoG did something those assholes at Steam for instance couldn't do, and for that they had my respect. And the fact each game came with everything incorporated (patches, cracks, dos-box) was very convenient at the very least. After trying GoG for a while i actually started to find regular torrent releases a bit of a chore.

Stabwound

Arcane
Stabwound said:
All signs point to terrible publicity stunt. Hilarious...ly bad. They could have done something that wouldn't piss off a ton of people.

Not that I have ever bought anything from them, or will if it returns.
I take it back. I've seen GoG threads on a bunch of different forums today, as well as news posts on different gaming sites and posts on reddit, etc. It's getting their name out there.

I still wouldn't buy anything there though.

p.s: I have a few more bitgamer invites, just shoot me a PM with an email address and I'll send you one.

edit: 1 left.

CrimHead

Scholar
Zeus said:
It's sad that some people can't admit to piracy and insist on using euphemisms like "abandonware."

How is downloading a game that is no longer sold or supported, and whose developer is out of business, piracy? Whose work am I stealing? Piracy is immoral because it is depriving the artist of their income, not simply because it is illegal. No rational or reasonable person avoids doing bad things simply because they're illegal (that's just sociopathic). They avoid them because they're immoral. Piracy is immoral. Piracy is, by definition, preventing an artist from making the living he deserves. Therefor, downloading games that no longer have an owner is not technically piracy.

It's good GoG's gone. Not only did they help propagate this ridiculous, reactionary idea that downloading=piracy, but they made an easy profit off of other people's hard work, which is simply inexcusable.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but they made an easy profit off of other people's hard work

Don't quite get it, do you? The publishers (you know, those who own those games, because it's not the developers that own them) are selling those games. So, you can blame publishers for making profit off of other people's work, but that's what publishers do...

Those games were NEVER free, not legally. No matter how hard you're trying to convince yourself otherwise, abandonware is not much better than piracy in legal terms. In some cases, games were offered as free by the owners, but in most cases that never happened, so those games are NOT free. That's just the invention of those who maintain those abandonware sites, that as long as the game isn't sold anymore it can be downloaded for free. But also notice the "as long" part. Once they're starting to sell it again, it's not abandonware anymore by any stretch of the word. And, some abandonware sites removed those games from download, because most likely the people behind them haven't forgotten the idea behind abandonware (which is preserving old games) and/or they haven't made that site as a cover for piracy.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
HERP DERP GOG is guilty because the owners of the games sell games through them and god forbid someone sells old games when you should get them from free.

Plus, the "crux" of your posts is that abandonware is your right and GOG took it away from you or some sort of bullshit like that.

Get this simple thing through your skull: owner sells it -> NOT ABANDONWARE

fizzelopeguss said:
Check it out bro's.

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

g600616996.gif

Achilles

Arcane
@ FellTheRads: Don't try to convince them, it's a lost cause. They'll just find some other lame excuse for downloading, you can't change their minds.

bonescraper

They did it for the lulz and all the butthurt comments on the dex. And free publicity. Here's a quote from CDProjekt:

"Attention! We scheduled a press conference on 22nd of September, early evening. Information about this event should be soon available at GOG.com (please, don't spread panic after reading what will be posted there:). Please keep in mind, that it's going to be an on-line conference and it's going to be a very first time for us to try such thing:).

We basically closed all our schedules and we are going to send information about this event on Monday or Tuesday.

MK
CDP"

That's some fucked up way to promote your shit, but hey, it's all over the news. :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zeus said:
More like Lennart Sas, lead designer of Age of Wonders, Director at Triumph Studios, whose website proudly proclaims, "Age of Wonders® can now be purchased online via GOG.com and Impulse!"
So basically Herve Caen as only one guy gets the money for all we know as in business you don't get the paycheck unless you work for that corp

reaven

Educated
I would like one, I just have master of orion I & 2 downloaded of all my collection...

Actually nevermind, a friend of mine sent me one already.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Does bitgamer have the RoA games? If they do, then I'd love to get an invitation to it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lesifoere said:
Who wants a bitgamer invite? Hands up and PM away, slowpokes.

I see your invite, and i'll raise you one for Underground Gamer in exchange.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom