Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Going to play Fallout: New Vegas for the first time, requesting sage 'dex advice.

pippin

Men, I want to use Yukichigai's bugfixes and jsawyer's mod. What do I have to do? It seems Nexus Mod Manager won't recognize jsawyer. Do I have to install Yukichigai's bugfixes with the manager and then install jsawyer manually? It would be better if I could just install everything manually, though.

pippin

Thanks. It's just that both are supposed to be installed in a certain order and etc.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, depends on how many mods you have. Unofficial patches should be loaded early and jsawyer should be put to the bottom.

"Install in a certain order" is only a requirement for mods who have conflicting meshes, textures and the like, as one will actually overwrite another. You'll probably still need to drag the ESPs around in the mod manager. Simple mods that are just an ESP like jsawyer can just be copied into the folder whenever you want, if they "overwrite" another mod's changes you just move them around in the load order.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since there's so much fallout buzz lately, I decided to give Fallout NV a second shot. I played it shortly after its release but didn't play it much because it felt like it is the same as FO3 in the desert. I played FO3 just a few months before NV and while I initially enjoyed it, I abandoned it eventually because it seemed like I have seen everything after like ~15 hours of gameplay.
This was before I knew codex. Now here I am, reading that NV is infinite times better than 3, from forum members whose opinion I value quite high.

So here I am again, and well, it kinda sucks. I follow the main quest and just met the cesars legion for the first time. Aside from all the bugs (I have to run it in windowed mode, because otherwise I can't load my savegames) here are some questions/issues.
-I rolled a noncombat character (High int&charisma, strength2, endurance 2, Skilled in speech, science, barter etc). Is this even viable?! I have yet to find a single quest that allows a solution without use of deadly force (well except making the robot the sherriff of prinn, which is really lame compared to the other one).
-Speaking of the above quest, I like how none of its solutions was the no-brainer choice. Will my decicion present actual consequences later on? How about other quests like these? Will choices actually matter?
-low strength is infuriating since I have to quicktravel every 5 minutes to sell my junk, but I guess I was told before what I was signing up for. Hey, I AM a courier after all.
-The color pallette and textures drive me insane due to sensory deprivation. Yes I understand its a post-apocalyptic desert. But these 50 shades of brown get old really quick.
-The silliness and banality of the story was toned down compared to FO3, but it isn't a masterpiece either.
-My biggest question is: How exactly is this game better than its predecessor? And is it still worth continue playing if I'm not really satisfied yet?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
''-My biggest question is: How exactly is this game better than its predecessor?''

It's not utterluy retarded and writing doesn't seem like it is a fan-fiction made by 14 year old? That's all i can say, because i spent 5 hour in F3. Would probably play it a bit longer, but had to reinstall OS at the time and after that i decided to switch to NV.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I think the positive reviews are mostly about quest design, which mirrors original games (C&C stuff) + it just really give a vibe of the old games atmosphere wise. Bethesda can't even make their own TES series feel coherent and atmospheric, let alone an old franchise, that is loved by bunch of glittering gems of hatred. Obsidian did that. Not spectacularly, not on Tim Cain, Leo Boyarsky level, but closest any modern dev could get to that.
If you never played the old games, it will be hard to understand for you.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, I haven't seen any babycage escape attempts, or cities built around a giant bomb yet. So yes the writing is less retarded. But is that all that causes statements like
:1/5: Fallout 3
:4/5: Fallout: New Vegas
to happen?

-quests are a lot more complicated and offer more ways to complete them
-world and characters make more sense and aren't retarded
-more C&C
-faction mechanics
-iron sights and better game feel overall (though it's still quite bad)
-better mechanics, like the inclusion of Damage Threshold system, implants, weapon skill requirements etc.
-A LOT better perks - most perks in NV actually give you unique abilities while most perks in F3 are just "+x to skills y and z" or retarded shit like "you cause a nuclear explosion every time you drop to low health"
-better weapon and armor balance & progression
-better and more fleshed out companions with interesting quests
-more interesting world and aesthetic (this is very subjective, though)

There's more, but that's what came to my mind first.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
New Vegas is instantly more memorable. Just about everything about it. The characters, the quests, the locations, the factions.

I still remember the guy that wins the "lottery" in Nipton running away happy as fuck before I shot him in the back.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
-I rolled a noncombat character (High int&charisma, strength2, endurance 2, Skilled in speech, science, barter etc). Is this even viable?! I have yet to find a single quest that allows a solution without use of deadly force (well except making the robot the sherriff of prinn, which is really lame compared to the other one).

In the QnA at the end he says that you can do a pacifist run, but I don't no how hard it would be.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
OK, kept playing and the game is getting better and better. Met some interesting characters and quests and many nice little details. Also I like how it is more mature than F3 without taking itself too serious.

In the QnA at the end he says that you can do a pacifist run, but I don't no how hard it would be.
I have a hard time believing you can do a pacifist run without missing an incredible amount of content and xp. Anyways, I found a grunt now whos willing to do the dirty work for me B)
The technical side of the game still infuriates me...
If you never played the old games, it will be hard to understand for you.
I know, I should really play them some day.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A pacifist run can technically be done, though it sorta ends up dealing with Chandler Bing at level 2, which is :lol:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
All this multiple play-throufh shit. I don't get it. I have been playing RPGs since the 80s and there have been a very small handful that I have played through more than once. I must be a victim of my own good memory or 'been there done that' syndrome. And I do mean victim... replaying some of the greats would be fun if I could find fun in doing it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I rarely replay rpgs either. The most replayed game for me is still CIV4. I think i replayed Fallout2 3 times and F1 2 times. Also started several builds in Arcanum and tried to play Malkavian in Bloodlines for my second playthrough, but computer crashed.

Morkar Left

All this multiple play-throufh shit. I don't get it. I have been playing RPGs since the 80s and there have been a very small handful that I have played through more than once. I must be a victim of my own good memory or 'been there done that' syndrome. And I do mean victim... replaying some of the greats would be fun if I could find fun in doing it.

Pretty much the same for me. There must be years in between before I even want to try again. But that doesn't mean I don't like c&c. Quite the contrary; real c&c in games is always noticable and makes for a way more satisfying playthrough, even if you are only playing the game once.

T. Reich

Arcane
Charisma is useless for a non-combat char, its only noticeable effect on gameplay is the amount of damage and defense your companions (capped at 2 regardless of any stats) have. CHA is FNV's dump stat. 3 is more than enough.
There are tons of quests that can be done with high enough skill-check and/or by letting the other present chars to fight it out without your help. That is, IF you have a necessary skill at high enough level, which at start isn't always the case. High (50+ usuall) barter allows you to defuse a lot of potentially lethal situations by a bribe, a similarly high speech allows to intimidate or reason with otherwise hostile people. High sneak + lockpick + science sometimes allow you to circumvent some fights by going around stealthy way.

-Speaking of the above quest, I like how none of its solutions was the no-brainer choice. Will my decicion present actual consequences later on? How about other quests like these? Will choices actually matter?
Choices you make can seriously impact the fate of a local community in the longer term (in the endgame slides), though sometimes you can see the results of your actions later on as you explore the wasteland.

-low strength is infuriating since I have to quicktravel every 5 minutes to sell my junk, but I guess I was told before what I was signing up for. Hey, I AM a courier after all.
First off, it depends on if you installed any weight limit affecting mods. The vanilla weight limits of the game are fairly high, especially if you get those 2 companions soon enough.
Secondly, 2 STR is really low anyway, and will negatively influence your ability to loot stuff. You will also miss out on all the weight limit raising perks because of that.
Last, but not least - I seriously doubt that you need half of what you've been picking up. Try picking up less junk and more actually valuable items.

-The color pallette and textures drive me insane due to sensory deprivation. Yes I understand its a post-apocalyptic desert. But these 50 shades of brown get old really quick.
That's kinda valid, but you can always install a mod or other to remove or change the brown filter.

-The silliness and banality of the story was toned down compared to FO3, but it isn't a masterpiece either.
The story is fairly toned down at the start, really. I didn't notice anything silly about it.

Also, why are indoor areas so fucking dark?
No electricity except in very civilised places, boarded-up windows everywhere... And there's also a manually-activated flashlight installed in your Pip-Boy, in case you did'nt know.

naossano

Cipher
I don't know if you can do a full pacificist run in FoNV, but you can play most of the relevant stuff in inhabited areas, without fighting depending of your choice.
About the dungeons and wild areas, you might also avoid some fight by sneaking around. There are even some location in which you are rewarded for it. (and the enemies there can become neutral or leave, so you will be unharmed next time you go ther)
But 99% of the dungeon aren't required to finish the game. And those who seem to be be can avoided if you find other path to get the macguffins.

On the other hand, most DLC are sadly way more combat oriented.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Charisma is useless for a non-combat char, its only noticeable effect on gameplay is the amount of damage and defense your companions (capped at 2 regardless of any stats) have. CHA is FNV's dump stat. 3 is more than enough.
There are tons of quests that can be done with high enough skill-check and/or by letting the other present chars to fight it out without your help. That is, IF you have a necessary skill at high enough level, which at start isn't always the case. High (50+ usuall) barter allows you to defuse a lot of potentially lethal situations by a bribe, a similarly high speech allows to intimidate or reason with otherwise hostile people. High sneak + lockpick + science sometimes allow you to circumvent some fights by going around stealthy way.

First off, it depends on if you installed any weight limit affecting mods. The vanilla weight limits of the game are fairly high, especially if you get those 2 companions soon enough.
Secondly, 2 STR is really low anyway, and will negatively influence your ability to loot stuff. You will also miss out on all the weight limit raising perks because of that.
Last, but not least - I seriously doubt that you need half of what you've been picking up. Try picking up less junk and more actually valuable items.
I'm playing with jsawyer mod and nothing else. However, I read a bit through this thread. You and I have totally different approaches for this kind of game. You seem like a minmax kind of guy, who reads lots of build guides to have an optimal char. I used to do that, too I eventually found that this way sucks the joy out of my experience, because I always have the feeling that I'm doing stuff not 100% efficient. Just jumping in, picking stats and skills that sound fun - kind of e-larping - makes me feel a lot easier since I know my char is kind of gimped anyways. Also, I abandoned the perspective of doing a mainly pacifist run. I have a sniper and a robot accompanying me now who do most of the shooting for me, since this point game has become more or less easymode anyways.
That's kinda valid, but you can always install a mod or other to remove or change the brown filter.
Well, I just hit the strip. Seeing all these neon lights felt like a reward in itself.
Also, why are indoor areas so fucking dark?
No electricity except in very civilised places, boarded-up windows everywhere... And there's also a manually-activated flashlight installed in your Pip-Boy, in case you did'nt know.
I actually didnt know. But it turns out gamma correction settings don't work when you play in windowed mode. Now with Pip-Light, the night vision perk AND playing the game in fullscreen it is bearable.

Anyways, I'm now like ~20 hours in and I see now why this game is leagues ahead of FO3. This is the second Bethesta game after TES3 where exploration feels really rewarding. Not (only) in terms of loot, but its all these little and big stories you pick up left and right, for example
Have you found Vault 11 ?
Yes, I made it through. What a memorable experience! Reminds me of a mixture of the Milgram Experiment and one of the only german films worth watching, "das Experiment".

Next thing on my list is to figure out what to do with Mr. House. Also the Cesars just pardoned my slaughter of sheer thousands of their grunts. Maybe I should hear out what they have to offer. This foxy guy who held the lottery seems like a pretty interesting character.

Two more questions tho:
-I haven't crafted a single item yet. Either I have an abundance of better Items(why craft food when I have stimpacs galore) or I couldn't use it anyways (Explosives skill of 8). So far I would have preferred the crafting system of FO3, because it wasn't bloated, it provided Items of actual use and you had to find recipes first.
But I still have hopes that the lame crafting system will become better (all the skill requirements for crafting are 75 at max - there must be something more complicated, right?) - will it be possible to craft stuff like weapons, weapon augmentations and/or special ammo at some point, maybe if you find the appropriate recipe?
-I didn't expect a biowarean level of interaction with my companions. The sniper slowly starts to open up, but at least the robot seems like a rather bland fellow. I met this girl on the highway who wanted to join me. I rejected her, but I begin to wonder if there are potential sidekicks out there in the mojave who have a really interesting story to tell.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
You rejected Veronica, and yes she has an interesting backstory, directly linked to the Brotherhood of Steel, actually. She also has another more subtle link with the Dead Money DLC (da bes).

Most companions are interesting, except for Lily and well, Rex. Boone and Raul's personal stories are the ones that stuck with me the most.

Check out Bitter Springs if you haven't. Also, Camp Golf.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom