Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOLDEN BABY RISING - Grimoire Released!

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
Games that sell at lower prices sell more copies, getting more revenue for the developer. Cleve is just too prideful to sell Grimoire at a sane price because he's put so much work into it. It seems like Cleve needs to go through a "Jeff Vogel" realization where he discoveres that gauging the hardcore market makes FAR LESS money than selling at a lower price point and taking advantage of Steam's massive userbase.

Grimoire at $20 would of been a perfect sweet spot and could of enjoyed moderate success.

Vogel shitgames like avadon have zero value though. If all you care about is money may as well make a free to play browser game. As a programmer, you are better off to like, not make retarded games at all. You can easily make 100k a year or even 200k a year as programmer in a Big City if all you care about is teh money. You are unlikely to ever make close to that making games no matter how big of a sellout you are.

Since it's a niche he can get a decent price from the gamers, so selling it for shit rate makes no sense. He can always dump it off to GOG in ten years and get the exact same money anyway. Starting on a high price then lowering it years later is the only reasonable course for someone who put endless years into a game and wants to get some money in return.

mindfields

Learned
Games that sell at lower prices sell more copies, getting more revenue for the developer. Cleve is just too prideful to sell Grimoire at a sane price because he's put so much work into it. It seems like Cleve needs to go through a "Jeff Vogel" realization where he discoveres that gauging the hardcore market makes FAR LESS money than selling at a lower price point and taking advantage of Steam's massive userbase.

Grimoire at $20 would of been a perfect sweet spot and could of enjoyed moderate success.
If all you care about is money may as well make a free to play browser game.
There are plenty of indie games on Steam that are extremely hardcore and deep, but still only sell at a lower price point in order to attract more potential buyers, Factorio is a good example of this. The kinda "hardcore" arrogance you are spewing only serves to scare away potential fans who ARE interested in oldschool RPGs and want to play them, but can't front $40 (which is like $50 when converted to Australian dollars) for such a game. That kinda arrogance is part of the reason why the "decline" exists in the first place.

Unwanted

Wehraboo

Unwanted
There are plenty of indie games on Steam that are extremely hardcore and deep,
No there aren't, don't lie. There are no RPGs remotely as hardcore as grimoire on steam, or likely ever going to be, and most of it is garbage whipped together by some retard in 6 months.

but still only sell at a lower price point in order to attract more potential buyers,
Bullshit. You will eventually get them regardless. You can lower your price any time.

Factorio is a good example of this. The kinda "hardcore" arrogance you are spewing only serves to scare away potential fans who ARE interested in oldschool RPGs and want to play them, but can't front $40 (which is like $50 when converted to Australian dollars) for such a game.
Who the fuck is that? Who? There are some 30-40 yo nerds who can't afford 40 bucks? lol

More bullshit. None of these people were ever going to buy it anyway.

That kinda arrogance is part of the reason why the "decline" exists in the first place.

Third world butthurt detected. Or are you mad that pricing an indie game like a real game shows the obvious that all the other indie shitgames are a joke?

wesmo

Educated
New email received... Nope, Not the indigogo backer keys... Denied incline again....
I suppose the hotfix alluded to in the stream bug report threads takes precedence then the pdf manual.

Steams stats show 1217 purchases, well deserved cleve. https://steamspy.com/app/650670

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Barely a thousand sales(being generous as Steam Spy is really unreliable at the start so probably less).

57th top selling game on Steam after a day...OUCH!

The faux 'incline' was very short lived indeed.

I had stated that I thought Grimoire might sell 10-15k copies, but it seems I was being far too generous to Cleve.

Feels bad(for him anyway). :sadpepe:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Barely a thousand sales(being generous as Steam Spy is really unreliable at the start so probably less).

I had stated that I thought Grimoire might sell 10-15k copies, but it seems I was being far too generous to Cleve.

games like this don't pick up at a release date, but later

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

games like this don't pick up at a release date, but later

Nope. MEME games like this will get bulk of their sales now. Once all the Codexers and IndieGogo backers get their keys that will be it. Elminage Gothic for example, apart from the start and occasional tiny tick ups during sales barely moves. There's a lot of talk about how RPG's are slow burners, but they don't actually tell you how slow that burn is, and on a long enough timeline you can easily see that 80-90% of sales come in the first days,weeks or months(depending on the popularity of the game). Notable exceptions of course are the AAA things which can generate interest constantly but even they peter out.

Weasel
There is no game
It's never coming out, lol
It's just the superdemo
It's too buggy to play
It's shit

It won't sell well anyway <- guess we're here now

Things just won't be the same around here now it's out, for either camp

newtmonkey

Arcane
Woke up yesterday morning, checked Indie Retro News, and my mind was blown. Grimoire is finally out!

I have no problem paying 30 or 40 bucks for a game like this. That is less than it costs for dinner for two with drinks here at a mediocre restaurant.

Didn't have time to get into it til just now, where I spent 40 minutes testing the game out with the quick start party. Looking great so far.

damn I was not going to get this game mostly because the 'furry' aspect of some of the races really turns me off. I loved Wizardry 1 when I had an Apple IIc in 1983 or whatever and I liked some of the wizardry games that followed, but the strange furry races, some goofy classes like ninja and the science fiction content seemed to become more and more prevalent as the series progressed. This game looked like it was a continuation of that trend, but now after investigating it a bit more I am starting to become tempted. Anybody with an opinion about my specific gripes? Am I making too big a deal out of these things? Does the demo still exist somewhere?

Jinn

Arcane
Am I making too big a deal out of these things?

I would say yes. I don't particularly care for furry races either, but everything else about games like Wizardry 7 and Grimoire makes me forget all about that and almost embrace it. For instance, I have an all non-human party in Grimoire right now. The races with their particular strengths and weaknesses really adds another layer of depth to everything.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I am going to go with an all-human party once I spend a bit more time with quick-start group.

I really do like the interface. It's clunky and weird, but it's got character. It makes me feel like I am interacting with a world, rather than just, I dunno, clicking on icons. I associate clicking on icons with doing serious stuff on my PC (work). I like that, at any given time, you might be typing in a password or selecting from a list of options. Unified UIs are ideal when you are trying to get work done, because you basically want the application itself to be as invisible as possible. With games, I prefer to be a bit surprised and even a little confused at times.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Are you guys playing 8 person groups or 6? I intend to rock a 6 man group so I can recruit. Quickstart party has 8. Do you just roll with 8 and drop someone when you get a recruit? That ain't how I roll. Six is the number, and the number is six.

mani45

Novice
You should recruit little rosy and man your life becomes so much easier

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey doesn't know what he is talking about, GOG does quick patching for devs through Galaxy, it takes longer for the installers to get updated though.

If one utterly detests Steam's "malware" why would they even bother using Galaxy? You're trading one thing for another that's pretty much just like it.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
You woke up this morning
Got yourself Grimoire
Your momma said you'll always be
Her biggest disappointment

youhomofo

Augur
The kinda "hardcore" arrogance you are spewing only serves to scare away potential fans who ARE interested in oldschool RPGs and want to play them, but can't front $40 (which is like $50 when converted to Australian dollars) for such a game. That kinda arrogance is part of the reason why the "decline" exists in the first place.

It's a niche game with a niche audience. If you're interested in old school RPGs there dozens of good ones out there that for free or cheap. Play those. If you've played them all and you still want more, there's Grimoire. In fact, check out Wizardry 7 Gold. Play that. If you love it and you absolutely must have more of it $40 will seem completely reasonable. There's no good reason for someone to buy Grimoire when they can still play Wizardry 7.

I'm not being snobby and elitist. It's like if someone took Mario Brothers and painstakingly built his own Mario Brothers game, spent 20 years working on it, and has crafted a flawed but amazingly huge gem. You can buy Super Mario Bros. 3 for less than 5 bucks. This guy's charging $40 for 20 years of work that's like a continuation of Super Mario Bros. If you never played the original, pick it up. It's more polished and balanced. It has a beginning, middle, and end. If you love it, lo and behold, there's loads more, and $40 for 600 hours of high quality Mario action? Stages that are deeper, bigger, and more thoughtful than anything from the original, but still stays true to what made the original special? Fuck yeah, I'd pay that.

We played all those games. We loved them. We've been craving more. If the game was $10 people would buy it and return it when they realized what it is. It isn't a throwback to yesteryear. It's literally a game made in the 90s that never got released. It looks like he really has been working on the game for 20+ years. Not optimizing it or making it sexy for a modern audience, but building it brick by pixely brick into something huge.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Grimoire is kind of a lot like Dwarf Fortress. Cleve knows his audience. Like literally. They're small. But his audience exists, and they're going to find Grimoire. He made his game for them. Not for the mass audience.

The Gary Grigsby of Blobbers.

youhomofo

Augur
Grimoire is kind of a lot like Dwarf Fortress. Cleve knows his audience. Like literally. They're small. But his audience exists, and they're going to find Grimoire. He made his game for them. Not for the mass audience.

The Gary Grigsby of Blobbers.

Not even. The game isn't that complicated. The UI is clunky. Have you ever tried to play a game like World at War? Clunky interface and insanely complex game. If you like blobbers and you have the patience for it, Grimoire isn't that hard to grasp, and the level design, puzzles, text, etc., are all surprisingly good.

If you want a world that's interesting and worth exploring, Grimoire provides. If you want quick, better balanced combat and you don't care about the depth or complexity outside fighting, go pick up Stranger in Weaboo City.

Alchemist

Arcane
damn I was not going to get this game mostly because the 'furry' aspect of some of the races really turns me off. I loved Wizardry 1 when I had an Apple IIc in 1983 or whatever and I liked some of the wizardry games that followed, but the strange furry races, some goofy classes like ninja and the science fiction content seemed to become more and more prevalent as the series progressed. This game looked like it was a continuation of that trend, but now after investigating it a bit more I am starting to become tempted. Anybody with an opinion about my specific gripes? Am I making too big a deal out of these things? Does the demo still exist somewhere?
Well, the character portraits aren't race-locked, so you could theoretically just give any of the weird / furry races human looks.
I'm not far into the game so I can't speak to the entirety of it, but on one of the starting options there is strong element of sci-fi. That's easily avoidable if you choose a different starting area.

wesmo

Educated
New patch
"Grimoire Updates : Version 1.2.0.2
Hopefully this update will fix a myriad of problems:

Rezpack assert commonly encountered in Aquavia
Crazy amounts of keys from combats
Crashing in Sanctuary from bad pointers
Bizarre "Lalain Falls" index in Sanctuary
Missing wall in Sanctuary when returning from a savegame
Crash encountered irregularly when clicking on stone pedestal in Gardens of Midknight

Please let me know if these problems appear to have vanished after you get this update.

This should not break savegames but you might want to copy out and copy it back in afterwards to keep it intact from being overwritten by the update. When I figure out how this works I will make savegames protected resources not to be altered."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom