Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Brutal Doom is for Call of Duty players. Shiny stuff for the retards

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I assumed that the Doom II episode No Rest For The Living episode that came with the Doom 3 BFG Edition was a quick and lazy work to add old-school cred to the package, but it turns out I was wrong. It's short with 9 levels, one of them hidden, but very good. I tend to dislike large maps in Doom as they tend to be padded with filler, but this one actually makes good use of it by constantly changing stuff, so even revisiting old areas feels fresh and surprising. The higher difficulties are also aimed at Doom veterans and can be quite tough.

Chocolate Doom can play it but the large maps will at best cause glitches and at worse crash the game. Crispy Doom, which is becoming my favourite source port, plays it well and even adds support for it if you have the DOOM2.WAD and NERVE.WAD of the BFG edition in the same place, so you can just load the DOOM2.WAD without even the need to add NERVE.WAD as pwad. ZDoom also supports it, for those who like that sort of thing.

On the subject, Crispy Doom also fixes the secret exit of MAP02 added to the new edition. I don't know if any other port does that. MAP33 is very fun and challeging but since you can end up with all the weapons and full ammunition and start MAP03 after, it kinda breaks the balance of the whole game …

Essegi

Cipher
Guys, grab and play that:
Necropolis
There's the beta in download section.
It's just awesome (at least from a very quick session). It's a standalone fps doomlike that runs in gzdoom in a fantasy setting with a particular art style and it seems to be very hard. I love basic attack.

toroid

Arcane
Hey has anyone been able to find a music wad that adds the music from the PSX version of Final Doom?

I have had the Doom1/Doom2 PSX music forever but I've never been able to find the Final Doom music wad.
The soundtrack is readily available, and I guess I could build my own wad if I wanted, but that's stupid; somebody has to have already made one.

Astral Rag

Arcane

Astral Rag

Arcane
Doom II project offers up 32 new maps based on original names

doom2bynameonly.jpg

Here's a fun mental game for you: imagine if Doom II never released. I know it hurts, but bear with me. Imagine if Doom II never released but somehow the engine, level editor and some map names were discovered. Now imagine what a community could cobble together based on this scant information.

Doom II In Name Only is a community project which imagines just that, and after two years (or more specifically, 666 days) it's finally complete and ready to download. The new .wad works with vanilla Doom II and makes use of inbuilt textures only. There are no new monsters, no new weapons and no fancy tricks, just 32 new maps influenced by the map names iD Software dreamt up.

It's an interesting project, especially since the 20-year-strong Doom II community has created maps which would probably make 1994 John Romero's mind boggle. 20 years of finely honing techniques and tricks to squeeze more juice out of the engine has no doubt resulted in a much more graphically impressive game than the original, but I suppose you'll have to download the .wad to see.

The Doom II In Name Only Doomworld page has screenshots for each level, with most demonstrating how the level name has influenced the new creation. 'O for Destruction' takes things literally, while 'Barrels O' Fun' contains lots of... barrels. The project was founded by writer and developer Ella Guro, who has written extensively on Doom and Wolfenstein level design on her blog. Those come very highly recommended.

It's good timing, because interest in Doom is high thanks to the recent behind-closed-doors reveal of the next Doom, though non-QuakeCon-attending proles like myself are unlikely to see it until next year. In other Doom II related news, this recent mod makes the 20-year-old game look like the product of a 21st century Triple-A studio.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/29/doom-ii-project-offers-up-32-new-maps-based-on-original-names/

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Nice idea, but it seems only some of those maps are actually good and some are pretty crappy.

Ivan

Arcane
Can anyone tell me the difference between ZDOOM and Zandrodum? I'm using the latter on all the Dooms to run Brutal Doom but I've read that certain mods REQUIRE ZDOOM or something else called JDOOM. What's an easy method to discern whether a mod is playable through Zandrodum/Brutal?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zdoom is and older source port. You can easily use GZdoom, which is based on it and has more updates. In theory it shouldn't give you any trouble if you play a wad that is dedicated to Zdoom it should work on the latter one. Zandronum is based on old Skulltag, I use it mainly for multiplayer (with Doom Internet Explorer). An easy method to know if you can play BD is to try run only the custom wad. If the wad got custom weapons I'm leaving it like that. Same for the new monsters. Mostly you can read that stuff in .txt file that comes with the archive. If the campaign has no new monsters/weapons you can add BD on top of it.

If you want to play BD it will work on GZdoom and Zandronum. It doesn't make any diffrence.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Play Doom on your printer:

Infosec geniuses hack a Canon PRINTER and install DOOM

Internet of Stuff securo-cockups strike yet again

Security researchers have demonstrated a hack that allowed them to get into the web interface of a Canon Pixma printer before modifying its firmware to run the classic 90s computer game Doom.

doom_printer_hack.jpg
The proof-of-concept demo by security researchers at Context Information Security, which involved remotely accessing the web interface on the printer, also allowed them to exhaust the ink of the printer by printing out hundreds of documents.

The hack was only possible because the printer's firmware used basic XOR Encryption

The printer hack was presented at 44Con in London on Friday by Mike Jordon, head of research at Context. More details of the techniques used along with a supporting video can be found in a blog post here.

The same tactics could easily be applied to either plant a trojan on the printer to spy on documents being printed or to establish a compromised gateway into a corporate network associated with the pox-ridden printer.

The Context team has previously hacked into other so-called Internet of Things (IoT) products – including a smart light bulb, IP camera, network attached storage device and even a child’s internet-enabled toy rabbit – hacks which, collectively, raise yet more concerns about the flaky state of IoT security.

"This latest example further demonstrates the insecurities posed by the emerging Internet of Things as vendors rush to connect their devices," said Context’s Jordon. "The printer’s web interface did not require user authentication, allowing anyone to connect to it. But the real issue is with the firmware update process.

"If you can trigger a firmware update you can also change the web proxy settings and the DNS server; and if you can change these then you can redirect where the printer goes to check for a new firmware update and install custom code – in our case a copy of Doom.”

Context sampled 9,000 of the 32,000 IP addresses that the Shodan (the Internet of Stuff's search engine) indicated may have a vulnerable printer. Out of these IPs, 1,822 responded and 122 indicated that they might be running a firmware version that could be compromised. “Even if the printer is not connected directly to the internet, [instead being] behind a NAT on a user’s home network or on an office intranet, for example, it is still vulnerable to remote attack,” Jordon warned.

Context contacted Canon in March of this year. In a statement supplied to Context, Canon said it was in the process of developing a fix as well as generally improving the security of its printer products to make them more secure.

We thank Context for bringing this issue to our attention; we take any potential security vulnerability very seriously. At Canon we work hard at securing all of our products, however with diverse and ever-changing security threats we welcome input from others to ensure our customers are as well protected as possible. We intend to provide a fix as quickly as is feasible. All PIXMA products launching from now onwards will have a username/password added to the PIXMA web interface, and models launched from the second half of 2013 onwards will also receive this update, models launched prior to this time are unaffected. This action will resolve the issue uncovered by Context.
Context recommends that wireless printers or any other Internet of Things devices are not connected to the wider internet.

“We are not aware of anyone actively using this type of attack for malicious purposes but hopefully by raising awareness, we can encourage vendors to increase the security of this new generation of devices,” Jordon concluded, adding “it is important to always install the latest available firmware.”
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/15/hacking_printers_to_play_doom/

_77593607p7ql4.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Heretic/Hexen have no luck. Not even from Sgt. Mark IV (creator of Brutal Doom that make numerous BD version and only alpha of Hexen version). So I warmly welcome any game where you can chop and slash stuff...
Might be good idea to go into UE4 now. Every fight against decline (Unity) is good even when you just don't know it.

And that DayZ WAD... not sure what to say.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Back to Saturn X Episode 1

The level design of this Doom 2 megawad is mostly fantastic, the vast majority of the maps is well-balanced, challenging but not impossible and they still feel very much like Doom unlike some of the modern mega-ultra-uber-harderest wads out there. One or two of the later levels are a bit on the ridiculous side though. (I play on UV without vertical free look and without mods)
Maps are complex but logical, I hardly ever needed to use the mini map.
The maps feel fresh because the authors used a different, warmer color palette and tasteful new textures.
The new music is great.

Small nitpicks:

The level design is excellent and the maps look great but they all use the same new "base" texture set and new skybox, this gets a bit repetitive towards the end.
The difficulty feels random and there is no real build-up towards stronger weapons and enemies (perhaps because this megawad was created by a million different authors).
The hub levels are pointless.

:5/5: :4/5: / :5/5: :5/5:

I hope ep2 is equally enjoyable.

Some screenshots:
2vvuwc.jpg

hgh94fbj.jpg

szipe44.jpg

14koup0.jpg

207_0006hfghnfghn4shukn.jpg

sssr2103210te1d.jpg

1-27e2f5v.jpg

2014-12-09_00100ouukg.jpg

442rudfq.jpg

2014-12-09_000169oezl.jpg

2014-12-09_000378sekl.jpg

0555ufuu.jpg

2014-12-09_00052smflu.jpg

128rsfy4.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom