Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Astral Rag

Arcane
Visions of Eternity

Visions of Eternity is an episode for the Ultimate Doom in spirit of the original Doom episodes. It starts off as an episode 1 themed episode, but later the style moves more towards an episode 2 and 3 style. Special attention was put into enemy balance and (in the newer maps) open levels that allow for multiple ways through the map.

Good episode that manages to feel "old school" without becoming too easy or bland. Ammo is limited, secrets are well hidden and the monster count is fairly high. Levels look authentic but they are often a bit too claustrophobic for my liking. The early levels are also riddled with monster closets.

The Plasma gun sounds different :rpgcodex:

Not perfect but well made and certainly worth playing if you're in the mood for more traditional Doom 1 wads.

:5/5: :2/5: / :5/5: :5/5:
2014-12-10_00027bmcjj.jpg

01puu36.jpg

2014-12-10_00088tzelh.jpg

2014-12-10_00101jrdp6.jpg

2014-12-10_001078fdz8.jpg

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
          
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
                
2i7tuzd.jpg

2i7tuzd.jpg
                                           
2i7tuzd.jpg
           
2i7tuzd.jpg

                                                        
2i7tuzd.jpg
             
2i7tuzd.jpg

                                               
2i7tuzd.jpg
                      
2i7tuzd.jpg

                               
2i7tuzd.jpg
                                     
2i7tuzd.jpg

                 
2i7tuzd.jpg
                                                    
2i7tuzd.jpg

     
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
2i7tuzd.jpg
                    
2i7tuzd.jpg
years old and still the best :salute:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Ziggurat is alright and it's a well-made game but it's nothing like Heretic/ Hexen, Ziggurat's combat is much closer to Serious Sam and Painkiller and this is a rogue-lite so there are some RPG mechanics, levels are randomly generated and actual "level design" is pretty much non-existent (also like in SS and PK ;) ). Levels always feel very similar and gameplay is very repetitive, there is no opportunity or reason for exploration since there is always just one very obvious secret room/ level and loot drops disappear after a very short period of time, you essentially have to collect loot during combat, I'm not a fan of this.

The game is challenging, movement is fast and feels tight, enemy variety is large, weapons are ok but they could/ should feel a lot more satisfying, the game's humor and visual style didn't really click with me. I also hated the little company bio you find in secret rooms, wtf is up with that. Won't somebody please think of my immerzions!?
Sound and music are ok.

I don't regret buying Ziggurat but if you buy this expecting a game like Heretic/ Hexen you will be sorely disappointed.

There is no coop or MP. The game does have online leaderboards if you're into that sort of thing.

Devs keep releasing new content for free which is always commendable.

Last edited:

Rpgsaurus Rex

I don't regret buying Ziggurat but if you buy this expecting a game like Heretic/ Hexen you will be sorely disappointed.

I sure wasn't. Heretic to me was about mass-murdering fantasy creatures with fantasy weapons and this one scratched that itch. Never was a fan of Heretic's level design - the most memorable levels featuring 'arena fights', actually - so this wasn't a big deal to me here, I guess.

Agreed about some weapons feeling lame, but eh. What other fantasy FPS'es are out there that don't suck?

dunno lah

Arcane
That makes sense, since monsters can open doors that don't need a key to open it.

Oh yeah, you're right. But in this case, the imp isn't opening a door for himself, he's probably trying to open the cybie's cage. Now that would be a cool feature - demons operating stuff like alarms and traps to give you more hell.

grudgebringer

Devs keep releasing new content for free which is always commendable.

The game is in early access, so free updates are kinda expected. And yeah, it's not Heretic, just a different approach to similar setting.

grudgebringer

...b-but they're still adding content like more bosses and new weapons lol.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
As we have painfully learned in the last years "Released" is the new beta.

But seriously post some wad stuff in the damn thread.

Anyway.

A walking simulator In mah Doom ? (Well it seems it has some combat so don't grab the pitchforks yet)

A Doomers Requiem

Looks trippy.

Screenshot_Doom_20141029_160802.png

WHC-Screennie_zps1e183280.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom