Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Who's the resident Doom expert here? I have a question.

Are there any mods with dual wielding different weapons (that you can shoot independently)? How hard is that to mod in? Thanks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Are there any mods with dual wielding different weapons (that you can shoot independently)? How hard is that to mod in? Thanks.

Not a Doom expert here, but I've not seen any mods that allow dual-wielding for two different weapons.

That said, common sense tells me that it shouldn't be that hard to do, but it'll never feel 'authentic', as in two different guns dual-wielded freely... there would always be some in-engine based limitation.

Sjukob

Arcane

I tried playing it recently and it's great mod, surprised that it didn't win a cacoward, it wasn't even nominated as a runner up.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Guncaster (Vindicated) has spellcasting mechanics that is parallel, but independent to shooting, so you kind of have two independent selections of weapons.

So, i just beat Going Down, holy shit ! this wad was awesome ! i played from the beginning to the end without any break, i clocked 5 hours (9 hours if you count all the times i died).

The Wad works like that: in the first Map you climb a UAC building by using the emergency staircase, then, you use an elevator to go down and every floor is a map, and you keep going down until you reach Hell itself(basically Diablo).Since every floor is a map, almost every map is short and kinda claustrophobic.But don't be fooled, this is a slaughterfest Wad, a very hard one too ! the small maps means you have less space to maneuver and the Wad throws tons of demons at you.I died more in this Wad than in Hell Revealed.

The maps looks nice too ! they resemble real life places(unlike Doom 2.wad).At first, i didn't like the new music, but it did grow on me.

I highly recommend this Wad, it is probably my second favourite Wad after Alien Vendetta.

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-032639.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-032811.png

Arena Map:
Screenshot-Doom-20200329-032937.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033022.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033045.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033202.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-034216.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-034153.png

Behold, The 200 archviles map:

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033710.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033731.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033713.png

Necropolis, the most insane map in this Wad ! more than 900 enemies:

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033908.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-033851.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-034015.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200329-034032.png

Last edited:
So, i decided to play Heretic a bit, i played the fan made wad "HYMN: A Heretic Community Project" it's a okay Wad, i don't know how it compare to others fan made Heretic Wads, since it's my first non-official Heretic wad.

There's one great map in this Wad, Map6 Myth Falls, This map is huge with a lot of exploration and combat, also amazing custom music track:

It's definitely one of the my favourite old school fps maps.

Map4 Temple of the Fallen Lords is good too.

Unfortunately, map7 Anachronistic Metropolis sucked hard ! it's a big and open slaughtermap city like, with tall buildings filled with sniper enemies, 80% of the time i couldn't see shit ! the visual clarity in this map is really bad and i was getting killed by projectiles coming from places i couldn't even see.

I didn't beat this Wad because of that, map7 is just too tedious, There's also two more levels after map7 that i didn't played.

So yeah, map 1,2,3,5 average, map 4 and 6 great, map 7 tedious, map 8 and 9 dunno.

Last edited:
So, yesterday i was downloading a 50 mb file, i decided to play a bit of Hexen in meantime.I started at 23:00 pm and ended up at 3:00 am, lol ! i just couldn't stop playing it ! since i've already got so far(hub 3)i said: "ah, fuck it, i going to beat Hexen again !"

Just finished now,clocked 6 hours.

I had alot of fun, played as a fighter, i got a lot less stuck now than in my first playthrough, by comparison, my first playthrough of Hexen took me 11 hours.

If you can get past the confusing hub system and switch hunting, Hexen has some solid level design, a lot of variety in both aesthetics and gameplay.

This put me in the mood to try Hexen 2 and Heretic 2 for the first time soon.

I've also uploaded my favourite track from Hexen to youtube, the other versions of this track that i heard on youtube sounded completely different.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i just couldn't stop playing it ! since i've already got so far(hub 3)i said: "ah, fuck it, i going to beat Hexen again !"

Interesting coincidence. I've finished as well with warrior as well. Although I've used Brutal Hexen RPG mod to see how it goes.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65691

It's much easier to die, and the melee character is in a clear disadvantage since the projectiles are faster and overall it's less forgiving. That's why the creators included kick ass crossbow for the warrior. It really helps a lot during a bigger crowd of monsters. The Fléchette is lovely overpowered and can be used to kill bigger crowds of monsters instantly. There is leveling included, with some stats that we can upgrade. We can also craft items, but we need to find scrolls for them.

Sadly, I can't recommend it to all people, because of a bad implementation of gaining experience through the whole campaign. You can find a new weapon, but you need to have x level to use it. It's bullshit, and what is really annoying, is that I couldn't use the last weapon even at the final boss fight, because I didn't have enough experience.

You should play Deathkings of the Dark Citadel as well. It's the only official expansion from Raven. Shorter, and thanks to that less annoying, due to usage of "The door at x opened". What is interesting, even with longer time periods between replays, I've remembered most of the puzzles and a proper paths to the objectives.

There is also an awesome custom campaign Carnage Galore 3. It was ported last year from old JHexen to way better GzDoom. I don't want to spoil it, it has 3 nice hubs and when it comes to fan work, it could easily be mistaken for a normal expansion. The progression is way much smoother, even for a first time I didn't backtracked so much, like in original. Although I recommend using mage or cleric, because the sheer numbers of enemies having projectile attacks can be really frustrating.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/hexen/d-f/fury_ch2

dosbox2020-03-2212-059uk5z.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2212-25wzjml.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2212-437ok17.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2212-50z1k9l.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2213-11pwksq.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2213-31y5kfl.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2215-17dojuj.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2217-03zqjpp.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2217-357ejsx.jpg

dosbox2020-03-2218-22crkqw.jpg

I'm playing the Hexen expansion Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, so far so good, the pace is great and the enemy variety is great too !

However, this is my first time playing as mage and i'm not enjoying at all, his damage is just too low, everything takes way to many hits to kill and centaurs takes forever to kill.The Mage second weapon is very underwhelming too ! i think it's worse than the starting weapon(which is also pretty shit).The third Mage weapon is decent but inconsistent.

Maybe i should restart and play as cleric or fighter again.

Meanwhile, Jimmy's "Deathless" got just a sidebar mention as a "coffee break mapset", and it's a 3-episode replacement made over 9 days, that looks and plays better than Shotgun Symphony.

I've played through this one not long ago, including 4th episode. Really enjoyed it, hard to believe these maps were made over such short time. Nice to get a fun wad based on Doom 1.

So, i just beat Going Down, holy shit ! this wad was awesome ! i played from the beginning to the end without any break, i clocked 5 hours (9 hours if you count all the times i died).
I highly recommend this Wad, it is probably my second favourite Wad after Alien Vendetta.

I've been meaning to restart it on lower difficulty sometime soon. Enjoyed first few maps but it seemed like it will be too much for me on UV.

Last edited:

I've been meaning to restart it on lower difficulty sometime soon. Enjoyed first few maps but it seemed like it will be too much for me on UV.

it was almost too much for me on HMP.

The major difficulty spike is necropolis, it is impossible to survive in that map once you run out of Invulnerability, there's 1 billion revenants after you.

So, if you reach Necropolis, i recommend you to look for the exit as fast as you can instead of trying killing all monsters.

I think I'm done with Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, i got really bored with this expansion.

At first it looked promising: you get your weapons early, there's more monster variety and it looked less confusing.But then i noticed the terrible monster respawn rate in this expansion, in the original Hexen campaign you see sometimes an Ettin or two being respawned(which was already annoying), here in DDC you see monsters respawn every time, and it's not just ettins anymore, fucking stalkers and centaurs too.It's super frustating getting lost not knowing where to go and having to fight tons of respawned monsters blocking your way at the same time.

And there's too many stalkers for fuck's sake ! they put a stalker in every place where there's water.Also, that damn Cage labyrinth, so frustating having to fight all those respawning monsters in a place where you can't see shit !

Doesn't help i'm playing as a mage too ! most boring class in the game by far imo.

I don't think i would ever touch this expansion campaign again, fuck enemies respawn ! fuck Stalkers ! fuck the Cage labyrinth ! fuck mages ! fuck this expansion !

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom