Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

A horse of course

Too bad his reviews are shiiiieeeet.

I'm sure a lot of the Codex would hate him because he's generally positive about things, but I think his scripts are pretty well written, the odd bit of forced toilet humor aside.

Nonsense. He gained his audience by reviewing a variety of boomer FPS classics, then moved on to more obscure games from the 90s-early 00s. People turned on him because:

A: He lost a lot of his niche by moving on to generic AAA garbage, which you can get from anyone. These days he reviews shit like The Last of Us 2 for fuck's sake. He hasn't completely abandoned mods/older games but I unsubbed because the ratio of nushit to obscure titles got too much.

B: He seriously damaged his credibility when he reviewed Nightdive's Blood demaster, wherein he gave it a glowing review and failed to cover the countless bugs, glitches, and depatures from vanilla balancing. This was exacerbated by the timing of Civvie giving a much more negative review a bit later on, which caused a minor exodus of dissatisfied viewers who had followed ggman for boomer stuff (see above) and discovered Civvie's channel as an alternative.

C: He began being invited to press events and getting preview copies of games, which some felt affected his impartiality (e.g. his fawning Rage 2 review and Fallout 76 apologia).

D: He's A*stralian

I doubt he gives a shit - he's more popular than ever and is probably one of the biggest FPS-centric e-celebs who doesn't just stream Fortnite or CoD for ten-year-olds, plus he's socio-politically less pozzed than civvie, for example. But there are good reasons people dropped him.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont like gmanlives reviews because they are shallow, to sell your gig on youtube, you need to be an entertainer, I get that but there are ways to do it and still deliver interesting information, gmanlives tries to be way too much of an entertainer (I also bet he is way too much of a casual player to properly analyse the games he talks about, he says wrong shiet all the time, things that could be easily noticeable if he actually spent time playing those games) and his reviews lack any depth, civvie is much better, he does the whole entertainer schtick for his reviews to not be boring but deliver a ton of information about the game he is talking about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A: He lost a lot of his niche by moving on to generic AAA garbage, which you can get from anyone. These days he reviews shit like The Last of Us 2 for fuck's sake. He hasn't completely abandoned mods/older games but I unsubbed because the ratio of nushit to obscure titles got too much.

I'd assume there's only so many older FPS games you can cover, and he seems more a fan of the genre in general. Not everyone hates everything modern and AAA. His Rage 2 review was spot on btw, that game's combat is excellent.

I dont like gmanlives reviews because they are shallow, to sell your gig on youtube, you need to be an entertainer, I get that but there are ways to do it and still deliver interesting information, gmanlives tries to be way too much of an entertainer (I also bet he is way too much of a casual player to properly analyse the games he talks about, he says wrong shiet all the time, things that could be easily noticeable if he actually spent time playing those games) and his reviews lack any depth, civvie is much better, he does the whole entertainer schtick for his reviews to not be boring but deliver a ton of information about the game he is talking about.

I'll try out whoever that is, but I'm not really looking for long documentaries here. 10 minutes of either quick nostalgia or brief rundown of a new game is pretty perfect IMO, and I'm mostly just wanting to be entertained over lunch.

Silverfish

Arbiter
By autists for autists.

I picked a random spot in the video and hit play. He's rambling about whether or not the game's pop culture references are meant to be crossovers with whatever they're referencing.

1558890551276.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting analysis of Metal Gear Solid V. There seems have been a deeper story beneath it all, with deceptions after deceptions provided in the story. 2 videos are out so far, with the third video apparently connection all the dots.

Cool stuff so far, so much I have missed out on, and I have clocked around 300 hours in the game.

Edit:

For you that have played Metal Gear games, this analysis will put stuff into a perfect fit for how dystopian everything is in 4. There is only people playing other people off each other for maximum personal gains. No loyalty to any side, no honor, no regard for anyone or anything and you can see it has reached a world wide epidemic scale in 4. There is only the "economy" and maintaining the status quo. And it all starts here. Man, this series could actually be one of the most dystopian series I have ever have the pleasure of following, especially since you have a hand in its creation, through lies and deceptions.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Interesting analysis of Metal Gear Solid V. There seems have been a deeper story beneath it all, with deceptions after deceptions provided in the story. 2 videos are out so far, with the third video apparently connection all the dots.
Man, those games were complicated as fuck to understand. Still, my favorite series ever, but damn, I remember I played through the whole series numerous times and still don't understand a damn thing. Well, I choose not to play anything after MGS: IV. I heard they don't use Hayter's voice in V. That's just heresy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, those games were complicated as fuck to understand. Still, my favorite series ever, but damn, I remember I played through the whole series numerous times and still don't understand a damn thing. Well, I choose not to play anything after MGS: IV. I heard they don't use Hayter's voice in V. That's just heresy.

Yeah man, and I get you, but you are really missing out though. I would love if Hayter would still be in it, but it is still a fantastic game. Gameplay is top-notch, and while the story might feel a bit underwhelming and disconnected, it makes a lot more sense after listening to his analysis.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Without giving the game away, there's actually an in-story reason for the recasting.

Without having played the game it sounds similar to how the reason Quiet wears revealing clothes is because she breaths through her skin instead of simply Kojima liking scantily clad young women :-P

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fair enough. I never messed with Ground Zeroes (paying for demos lol). So, I was wrong and Kojima just recast the part because he wanted someone competent who didn't sound like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Zer0wing

Cipher
5 hours of retelling a game story.
More like five hours of coming up with arguments against Witcher 2 and failing by the guy who didn't understand Silent Hill 2, the most in your face symbolism of a videogame of early 2000s.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I heard they don't use Hayter's voice in V. That's just heresy.

Without giving the game away, there's actually an in-story reason for the recasting.

Nah, there isn't. Hayter just isn't that great of a VA and his performance has significantly degraded overtime. Hayter has also said that Kojima was trying to replace him long before 5.

David Hayer said:
“I had to re-audition for Metal Gear 3 to play Naked Snake,” Hayter says. “They made me re-audition to play Old Snake, and the whole time, they were trying to find somebody else to do it. I heard that Kojima asked one of the producers on Metal Gear 3 to ask Kurt Russell if he would take over for that game. He didn’t want to do it.”
Source

Also, they kept the Japanese VA. Kojima just has a hard on for Hollywood actors. He actually offered Joosten (Quiet) the role of Fragile but ghosted her after he managed to get Bond Girl Léa Seydoux.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
He is still iconic for Solid Snake, degrading performance or not. Real shame Kojima has a hard on for Hollywood celebs, it just would have felt more complete having the same voice actor for all Metal Gear games. Kiefer Sutherland was okay I think, but his voice has this sleepiness over it. Like he was barely awake when recording :)

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

This looks so good. I just checked out videos of the new versions of this game, and the boss battles look fantastic. Too bad about the new UI though, it's really bad. Definitely gonna give this game a try though.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I heard they don't use Hayter's voice in V. That's just heresy.

Nah, there isn't. Hayter just isn't that great of a VA and his performance has significantly degraded overtime. Hayter has also said that Kojima was trying to replace him long before 5.

David Hayer said:
“I had to re-audition for Metal Gear 3 to play Naked Snake,” Hayter says. “They made me re-audition to play Old Snake, and the whole time, they were trying to find somebody else to do it. I heard that Kojima asked one of the producers on Metal Gear 3 to ask Kurt Russell if he would take over for that game. He didn’t want to do it.”
Source

Also, they kept the Japanese VA. Kojima just has a hard on for Hollywood actors. He actually offered Joosten (Quiet) the role of Fragile but ghosted her after he managed to get Bond Girl Léa Seydoux.
TBH, all I hear is Solid Snake. I didn't know Hayter was having such a difficult time, though. The games weren't really about having top-of-the-line voice acting like Rockstar games did during the PS2 era. Always thought it was more of a chessy-Japanese thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom