Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Interesting Mikami interview:

-Resi 1 was meant to have ghosts and be first person. Capcom didn't have experience with 3d so they went with pre-rendered and third person.
-Resi 2 was made to be more accessible and profitable from the beginning
-Resi 3 was originally made with a indie mentalityand made for core fans
-Resi 4 action focus was because Mikami and the team were becoming less and less horror fans moving toward action.
-Dino crisis was adopted by him when the original directors left
-Game designer's hit their peak at their 30's.
-Mikami declined many Mikami ideas
-Main focus for him in a horror games are the creatures followed by the atmosphere

No mention of Code Veronica?

flyingjohn

Arcane

-Resi 1 was meant to have ghosts and be first person. Capcom didn't have experience with 3d so they went with pre-rendered and third person.
-Resi 4 action focus was because Mikami and the team were becoming less and less horror fans moving toward action.
-Main focus for him in a horror games are the creatures followed by the atmosphere

No mention of Code Veronica?

He considers it better quality then 3 and more worthy of being a numbered title.

Venser

Erudite
Don't really care about Tetris but this video popped up in my recommendations and I'm glad I watched it.

A horse of course

I liked his Drog Age retrospective and breakdown of what was wrong with PoE2/Outer Reddit, as well as his Pathfinder review (convinced me to give it a chance at some point).

A horse of course

A lot of this is old information, but if he really claimed the action focus was just because they were "fans", that's bullshit. He and other members of the team have all publically stated that Capcom threatened to shut Resident Evil down if it didn't start doing system-selling sales numbers, and shifting from survival horror to more marketable and popular action gameplay was the (eventual) result.

HansDampf

Arcane
That Deu sEx retrospective is the first time he's injected sponsor ads into his video, usually a sign of decline for a channel.

Citizen

The sociopath actions and this monotone delivery of one-liners LMAO is this guy IRL JC Denton?

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Hexapus

Learned
Sorry in advance, Chris Davis rant coming...
I've started watching his "isometric RPG" retrospectives, cause I have obviously thought it would be an interesting watch (and YT suggested him to me).
Was a bit surprised when he gave the advice to play Baldur's Gate on Story Mode, but whatever, maybe some people need it that way.
Was a bit annoyed when he ranted for a few minutes in BG2 retrospective that he cannot read with understanding and that he lost 4 constitution points permanently from killed familiars... whatever.
But this fucking insight just took the cake for me :/ (and yes, I don't think Turn Based in Arcanum is that great, but this is a general statement about TB games...)

5I1ZLMf.png
bu4qLcK.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've started watching his "isometric RPG" retrospectives, cause I have obviously thought it would be an interesting watch (and YT suggested him to me).
Was a bit surprised when he gave the advice to play Baldur's Gate on Story Mode, but whatever, maybe some people need it that way.
Was a bit annoyed when he ranted for a few minutes in BG2 retrospective that he cannot read with understanding and that he lost 4 constitution points permanently from killed familiars... whatever.
But this fucking insight just took the cake for me :/ (and yes, I don't think Turn Based in Arcanum is that great, but this is a general statement about TB games...)

5I1ZLMf.png
bu4qLcK.png
Yeah Chris Davis is moderately retarded. He couldn't wrap his head around AC going up = good.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

5I1ZLMf.png
bu4qLcK.png
Yeah Chris Davis is moderately completely retarded. He couldn't wrap his head around AC going up = good.

FTFY.

A horse of course

5I1ZLMf.png
bu4qLcK.png
Yeah Chris Davis is moderately retarded. He couldn't wrap his head around AC going up = good.

Chris Davis is definitely not the only reviewer who complained about counter-intuitive stuff like AC. I watched pretty much every single Baldur's Gate review on youtube a few weeks back, and several of the reviewers cited it as a negative point. I assume it's another byproduct of the fact that at that time, even casualized RPGs like Baldur's Gate came with a thick manual you were expected to read whilst waiting for the game to install or whatever.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I knew about AC before playing for the first time BG, but still found it (and other DnD atavisms) stupid. Videogames shout stick to being videogamey tbh.

1-6 > 1D6.

A horse of course

wasn't he the same guy who complained about Deus Ex being insensitive or racist or something like that because he didn't like conspiracy theories?

I was gonna defend his Isometric RPG series on a few points, but then I remembered this shit. Apart from neverknowsbest, the kind of person who makes "video essay" content on RPGs tends to be a gigantic faggot.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chris has many opinions I disagree with, but they're his and his alone. He ain't an npc following the mainstream gaming mindset. Some people here don't take well to opinions different from their own.

Anyway. The Nocturnal Rambler's Gothic focused channel was mentioned I think. I like him and here is his newest video I am yet to watch. Looks promising.

Red Hexapus

Learned
wasn't he the same guy who complained about Deus Ex being insensitive or racist or something like that because he didn't like conspiracy theories?

I was gonna defend his Isometric RPG series on a few points, but then I remembered this shit. Apart from neverknowsbest, the kind of person who makes "video essay" content on RPGs tends to be a gigantic faggot.
Yeah, I agree about "neverknowsbest", his critiques are on point and quite interesting to watch.

A horse of course

Chris has many opinions I disagree with, but they're his and his alone. He ain't an npc following the mainstream gaming mindset. Some people here don't take well to opinions different from their own.

Anyway. The Nocturnal Rambler's Gothic focused channel was mentioned I think. I like him and here is his newest video I am yet to watch. Looks promising.

Saying something retarded with the "but that's just my personal opinion" caveat is not a defence - his opinion has to be either refreshingly different or at least supported by evidence. neverknowsbest is ok because his subjective opinions can be interesting and are usually rooted in things that actually happen in the games, which is why he's bearable even when talking for an hour about issues he has with the writing. His criticism of how the social and racial issues of augmentation are handled, for example, aren't only his personal views but also draw upon inconsistencies in the extent of aug adoption in Human Revolution vs. Mankind Divided. If Chrissy had titled his video "Deus Ex played by an incredibly narrow-minded generic knee-jerk current year r/news poster whose perspective on literally everything in the world is through the prism of a toilet-paper-roll liberal eyeglass" then at least he'd be honest.

It's particularly funny because Harvey himself proved how NOT to do politics in games with Blacksite: Area 51, an anti-Iraq War game so aggressively polemical PC Gamer UK of all people thought it was cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Came across this channel, posts a lot of Warhammer stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom