Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A good breakdown of Zelda's "clockwork" dungeons:

Actually made me wanna try out Skyward Sword just to see those 2 dungeons.
From the 9 minute mark on he explains why we can't have good things anymore...

Wunderbar

Arcane
A good breakdown of Zelda's "clockwork" dungeons:

Actually made me wanna try out Skyward Sword just to see those 2 dungeons.
From the 9 minute mark on he explains why we can't have good things anymore...

i'm in the middle of Skyward sword playthough and i just finished those two dungeons (haven't watched the video, i assume he talks about ancient cistern and the sandship). The moving statue and a time shenanigans are interesting ideas, but the game utterly fails to capitalize on them.

You only required to move the Ancient Cistern statue two times - first to open the way into the basement, then to raise statue back and get the boss key. It's a far cry from lowering/raising water levels in the Water temple, or changing the waterflow direction in Great bay temple, or rotating staircases in the Lakebed temple. Even if you ignore that stone tablet, Ancient cistern doesn't require any real thought or effort, it's very easy and straightforward.

Same with the timeshift stones, which were only used in three dungeons - the first one introduces the mechanic (the dungeon is very easy and the stones are only used to change the layout of the room), the second one adds one portable stone that you can carry around (the dungeon is very easy and is also like 10 minutes long), and the third one - the sandship - is again very easy, doesn't have a portable stone (what was the point of introducing this mechanic if you're not expanding on it later?) and also spoils the only decent puzzle. I heard about the Sandship before playing the game and expected some miracle of level design like "a crack in the slab" mission from Dishonored 2, but alas.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Nice video, nothing new (but that'd be hard considering the subject matter) but amusing nonetheless. Spoilers aside, it is perhaps one of the best presentations for the game. It only had a minor mistake in that the engine wasn't written from scratch but it was based on Ultima Underworld.

deadmeme

Learned
Matt Barton- Many Codex boomers probably know him, he wrote a book about CRPG history, and now talks about the same topic with CRPG developers (You have the big boys like Sir Tech as well)

Absolute Zero- Plays classic strategies on hardest difficulties. Just a gamemaster.

Civvie 11- Does lot of classic shooters, he has funny content

Zaric Zhakaron- Expert on TES lore, knows lots of stuff about Betheseda games, so if you like them, look him up

SsethTzeentach- Hey people, Szeth here!

Mandalore Gaming- He has very good in depth reviews on both old and new games

IceTone Gaming- Plays lot of old RTS games, pretty well

ViBE lol- Master on everything Starcraft 2

Darkhan- His channel is about history of DOS RPG-s, lots of obscure gems are there

Last edited:

El Presidente

Arcane

This was a really cool video about finding some rare McDonald's DS game and streaming it's gameplay for the first time in history. I can't believe how invested I became in some shitty McDonald's employee training game but this video was a rollercoaster ride. Well worth a watch.

Great video, thanks

otteaux

Novice
Darkhan- His channel is about history of DOS RPG-s, lots of obscure gems are there

His History of DOS RPG's series is great. I generally don't like vids without commentary, but this is top quality second monitor viewing.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Our boy's going to need a stiff one for this.

That's a reupload (originally up in may) with some blurring/editing to remove some violent stuff because youtube wasn't ok with the original anymore, apparently.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Since today, thanks to Verylittlefishes, I discovered that not everybody knows about Crowbcat, I feel the need to recommend it, since it's one of my favorite channels. He usually makes compilations of all the worst moments of E3 and other videogames conventions, or recaps/comparisons of disappointing videogames.

It's p. fun.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
No joke, Crowbcat is the best video-game centric journalist to ever exist, even if he isn't formally considered as such. No words, no editorials, just simple examples drawn from reality and laid-bare in comparison against eachother.

This one in particular is my favorite, was very enlightening to me when I first watched it.

eli

Learned
No joke, Crowbcat is the best video-game centric journalist to ever exist, even if he isn't formally considered as such. No words, no editorials, just simple examples drawn from reality and laid-bare in comparison against eachother.

This one in particular is my favorite, was very enlightening to me when I first watched it.

I honestly don't understand why people are still disappointed with the gaming industry when his vids shows clearly why you should have zero faith in it.

eli

Learned

This was uploaded months ago but i post it as a reminder to any Bethesda fans on codex of their intellectual worth.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
For the esteemed Gothic and game design connoiseur. Words can't describe how much I love this game. It, along with Doom taught me to appreciate good game design.

Ivan

Arcane
For the esteemed Gothic and game design connoiseur. Words can't describe how much I love this game. It, along with Doom taught me to appreciate good game design.

among my fav Gothic 2 moments is dealing with this same troll in the early game. I happened to have a shrink monster scroll and was amazed as the troll shrunk to a pint and I was able to squash it. one of my fav gaming moments ever.

Archibald

Arcane
Asides of some rare exceptions, video being longer than 60 minutes should be a red line.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

our communist friend has returned.

That was a great video, i've played through New Vegas more than 10 times by now (lost count) and i never realized the little gun i can get from the kids activates Helios (i always thought it was just some toy or reference to something) or the Gannon bits (since i never got Gannon as a companion).

Perhaps i should make a new playthrough, it has been a while since the last one :-P.

Also as much as i really like New Vegas, i do not think that the starting area is that great when it comes to getting you interested in the game. The first time i tried to play the game (which i do not ever count) i lost interest pretty much near the beginning and i also had to tell a friend of mine to just stick with the first area for a while since it picks up later since he also dropped it around there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom