Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

deama

Prophet
I'm looking forward to his skyrim analysis, I've had a lot of issues with that game and I'm wondering if he'll even point them out as I've noticed a lot of my issues none of the fans give a shit about.

m_s0

Arcane

The BG one is actually very well made. It includes footage from the og release, which says a lot by itself. Well researched and technical. Small channel and few videos so far, but has potential.

This is very good. Occasional odd leaps in logic aside (those happen), the fact that he even bothers with research outside of Youtube is remarkable this day and age. Imagine what he could produce full-time, especially if he had someone to help him out with prep or post - or both. This is already better than, say, those glitzy Noclip ads.

For now, though, it looks like he's making a living writing about future landfill:
https://www.reviewed.com/laptops/content/asus-vivobook-pro-14-oled-review

He just released his first video in almost half a year:

Ravielsk

Magister

I just "love" this fat waste of space. He straight up manages to rebuke his own points within the same video in which he made them.
>Why would anyone lie about poor sales due to refunds?:(
<Lol, after the announcement of said poor sales suddenly more people are buying it :cool:
Obviously no incentive to lie or even exaggerate.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is no reason for this to be 12 hours long. If he stripped out the "let's play" portion of this analysis where he literally goes through every quest on screen and instead just summarized what happens in each faction then this could have been under 2 hours.

The gameplay content is only about half of the video (obviously mixed with everything else), two hours wouldn't cover the story and lore bits alone, but more importantly having the gameplay content is important because it is used as a springboard for the other topics he mentions, like the mechanics or story analysis bits, both of which would not work as well as if they were taken in isolation instead of put in the context of the gameplay sections he has.

Axecack

Literate
The gameplay content is only about half of the video (obviously mixed with everything else), two hours wouldn't cover the story and lore bits alone, but more importantly having the gameplay content is important because it is used as a springboard for the other topics he mentions, like the mechanics or story analysis bits, both of which would not work as well as if they were taken in isolation instead of put in the context of the gameplay sections he has.
Not sure if I agree. His format is typically "summary, summary, summary, overall thoughts". If he just started with "overall thoughts" and then only made references to specific examples explaining his thoughts, then he could have easily kept it under 2 hours.

This is basic essay writing 101. Start with your thesis, outline your points, provide evidence for your points, then restate your thesis. No need to paraphrase every single line from your sources before you even get to the "analysis" part. That just wastes time.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Start with your thesis, outline your points, provide evidence for your points, then restate your thesis. No need to paraphrase every single line from your sources before you even get to the "analysis" part.

From what i understood from a streaming session i watched a couple of months ago he explicitly use the presentation order he has to avoid cases where people already have some preconceived notions about what a game does (especially important for popular games like Oblivion that many people already have opinions about) will ignore his points before he shows them in practice - so he first shows the situation in practice and then explains what is going on.

And again i am 100% certain that there would be a lot of information loss if the video was 2 hours long, this sounds like a number you randomly came up. There isn't really much filler in the video.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Do you know any channels/videos focusing on blobbers? Things like history, analysis, reviews?

catfood

AGAIN
I've just recently discovered an interesting channel dedicated exclusively to the Carnivores series and thought it might be worth to mention it.

I had no idea this series had such a cult following. Each video of his has tens of thousands of views. You hardly ever hear anyone mention these old games and yet there are countless people who play them. It's fascinating how active the modding community for these games is.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just recently discovered an interesting channel dedicated exclusively to the Carnivores series and thought it might be worth to mention it.

I had no idea this series had such a cult following. Each video of his has tens of thousands of views. You hardly ever hear anyone mention these old games and yet there are countless people who play them. It's fascinating how active the modding community for these games is.

Really enjoyed his videos. Watched the 3 first reviews of the series. And it's fascinating as you say that so many love the games, and still make mods for it. It looks fairly basic, but having a nice atmosphere. But then again, I have the same fascination with X-com and going by the review-videos he played the game as a kid, same as I with X-com and I guess it's the same for many others that it left a life long fascination after the initial contact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom