Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

pickmeister

Learned
Ye Old Entertainment:

I don't know what it is but this guy sounds slightly retarded. Like there's sort of a lisp but isn't. Sometimes he rolls his Rs. Sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he omits them completely. And sometimes he butchers words for no reason that I can see (saying 'bideo" instead of 'video').
As if he tried to sound like a total nerd but changed his mind in the process and this is the result.

A horse of course

Just wanted to remind everyone in this thread that my time is precious, and my attention a luxury not all of you deserve. If you expect me to actually click on any of the videos you poast, please include a single line explaining why the video in question is worthy of my steely gaze.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
This guy does retro gaming (surprisingly most of them are blind play-throughs). Dude never played classic Doom until this video series.

ferratilis

Magister
Crowbcat's back. Codex doesn't like this popamole shooter, but this video just highlights the incompetence of both Microsoft's leadership and their studios. 343 must be the worst AAA developer right now, even with such stiff competition. I don't expect Obsidian, inXile, or Bethesda to get any better under their leadership. Hope I'm wrong, though. But it's doubtful.

Codex Year of the Donut
I like this guy's videos, no overlay, tends to just dive right into games blindly to give a good first look, doesn't seem to be retarded and doesn't discuss politics at all(made one politically-related comment so far making fun of twitter libs out of many videos)
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScarletSeeker

"journalist... ugh god... he dies first" :smug:

Last edited:

A-Minish

Educated
Crowbcat's back. Codex doesn't like this popamole shooter, but this video just highlights the incompetence of both Microsoft's leadership and their studios. 343 must be the worst AAA developer right now, even with such stiff competition. I don't expect Obsidian, inXile, or Bethesda to get any better under their leadership. Hope I'm wrong, though. But it's doubtful.

Yeah, well it can goes both ways. Bethesda did not need Microsoft's help to turn licences into shit, or at the very least to dumb them down in order to appeal to a broader audiance. They have their fair share of shitty behaviors as well but it pales in comparison to 343 own records.

Take Sea of Thieves as an exemple. It is a simple game, "arcade" would say some of my friends but it is fun as well and so was Halo in its time(it still is in few ways). The former was empty at first with little interest but it got far far better later on. The latter was always thought to be fun casual games. 343i tried to turn a mass-appealing licence with tools for the community(the forge, the file-sharing, the custom games, Bungie.net, the local and online coop, etc) to a licence full of unfinished/incomplete games focused on competition/e-sport, needless complexity and predatory monetization. Bethesda are scumbags but they never realy abandonned their broader audiance gained by their "casualisation"(is it the right word ?), 343 did and did nearly everything to do so :argh:.
Microsoft might have had something to do with both SoT's succes and Halo's demise, we will only know it in a few years when articles about their developments will be published.

Now if you want to see Bethesda doing RPGs with mechanics and plot not taking its players for morons under Microsoft leadership then I would just be cautious if I were you. Even more so if they try to recreat a kind of Morrowind or Daggerfall in the futur.

Vatnik Wumao
It's a fucking game, nigger. Games don't age
Appraisal of their impact within the industry does change though. Whether it's with janky games that subsequently found recognition as a cult classic (e.g. KotOR 2, VtMB), drama that had to blow over before the game could be objectively appraised (e.g. ME3*) or just a matter of mapping the influences of a particular game on subsequent releases within the genre (e.g. BG1 as the quintessential isometric CRPG whose model was replicated by both subsequent BioWare titles and by other devs).

*Not implying that it's a good game, but critical reviewers were too focused on (& emotionally involved in) the ending fiasco to be able to properly appraise the broader game.

AndyS

Augur
Microsoft's futility in managing Halo is stunning to me. Usually these big corporate franchises settle into a dull, risk-averse monotony but at least they're mostly competent and please their fans - like, I can't recall CoD fans ever rioting over the games - but MS and 343 seem incapable of not enraging their core audience with every little action they take.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Microsoft's futility in managing Halo is stunning to me. Usually these big corporate franchises settle into a dull, risk-averse monotony but at least they're mostly competent and please their fans - like, I can't recall CoD fans ever rioting over the games - but MS and 343 seem incapable of not enraging their core audience with every little action they take.
It's Microsoft, when is the last time they wouldn't have mismanaged something? They mostly managed to handle XBox 360 Red Ring of Death decently, which was surprising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom