Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Good Old Games Relaunching

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Harold said:
Look guys, now you can browse our games by genre on the right.
I still don't get this one. I remember browsing games by genre, err... a year ago? What exactly are they talking about?

Zeus

Cipher
Sceptic said:
I still don't get this one. I remember browsing games by genre, err... a year ago? What exactly are they talking about?

Yeah, me too. I went through their RPG section just a little while ago.

yaster said:
Wasn't it supposed to be, like, faster? LOL, it barely works instead. I enjoy taking peak at this nice streaks of failures:>

Our servers, even though we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side - we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history!

F...fail?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Zeus said:
Our servers, even though we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side - we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history!
F...fail?
Nope. Looks like the stunt worked.

DaveO

Erudite
My concern is the lackluster support. The MM6 release has the well-known door bug still in place, but GoG could not bother to see if data from GrayFace's patch could be implemented. With Windows 7 being the only other operating system besides XP, I doubt there are enough resources to get all of the GoG releases working without issues.

Another concern is what impact this will have on the forums. Doing what I can to help out is the only reason I'm bothering with GoG.

Zeus

Cipher
Good for you, fighting the good fight.

Is it possible to manually apply the patch to GOG's version of MM6?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of scenecracks and unofficial mods being mandatory and pre-installed. I bought Master of Orion off Impulse, and it's version 1.4. Problem? There WAS no 1.4--it's an abandoned user patch! If I want to play 1.31, I have to run Moo95, which is ridiculous. I'm thinking of writing them and asking if they can supply me with the unpatched executable. The fan patch claims to fix a few bugs, but how well has it really been tested? How do we know it didn't just introduce more?

Edit: I meant to say I bought MOO 1&2 off Impulse, and it's 2 that has the fan patch. But still.

Ptosio

Arcane
OMFG what kind of godammed moons are they?

I mean, if I wasn't Polish, I'd thing something like "Jesus, what an idio...er, cultural differences, problably...yeah, sure, I mean, some people like to have a buffalo horn in their noses, some eat other peoples corpses, some play (or even produce) jRPGs...yeah, some may actually think that this might have been a good publicity stunt. While it may seem strange to us we must be open minded and embrace it wiblablabla".

But now? I mean, the last weeks in Poland weren't even hot enough to try to excuse it with hyperthermia.
(or HAS it worked!? That is, I'm the weirdo here and the perfectly sane and acceptable thing to do when you want other people to pay attention to your service is just...stop delivering it?)

I wonder what will they come up with when it comes to the Witcher 2. Say, deliberately crash the game before the end of the last act? What will they do if the game loses popularity two months after release? Release a patch that irreversibly makes all the characters speak Czech? OK, we'd better stop listing this things because they may actually use one of them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Reconite said:
Zeus said:
F...fail?
Nope. Looks like the stunt worked.

For now, but people are going get even more butthurt after they see that Baldur's Gate is the only game they introduced. After all that hype i'm sure many assumed they would have come out bustling with new titles. Instead, we only get one, plus some pointless face lift to the site.

Zeus

Cipher
Aw damnit, it looks like GOG *also* bundles Master of Orion 2 with an unofficial bugfix.

This is insane. Do not want.

They should supply the fan patch as an optional download.

I'm going to pick up Master of Magic before they decide to force one of these "rebalancing" fan patches going around on me.

DaveO

Erudite
For MM6, it's a pretty simple matter to apply the GrayFace patch on top of the original game. I can safely say that playtesting for issue-free gameplay is a 50-50 proposition since the MM8 patch I used to get thru the Wasp Nest introduces other bugs. There is also the Mok patch, but if you apply that to GoG's release of MM6 it asks for CD #2 so GrayFace is the only possible patch. If you just want a temporary workaround, still using an overwrite of the 1.2 executable with the 1.1 version and reverting should do the trick.

P.S. - I agree that fan patches really should be optional and PLEASE don't go down the road that Larian built by charging for a newer version of Divine Divinity. Larian is doing the same behavior with Divinity 2. :M

P.S.S. - On a lark, I checked the Direct2Drive site and saw Silverfall: Earth Awakening listed as an RPG Top Seller. That's a REAL stretch for truth-in-advertising.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If introducing one new game means taking the site down for 4 days, I'm wondering what their plans are for future releases...

Zeus

Cipher
Ah, cool, thanks for the info.

I'm probably going to pick up a copy of the MM6 collection next month. Me and my brother have been co-oping a game of World of Xeen and having a blast, but I'd also like to check out the first trilogy and get my hands on M&M3 again. :D

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So, now that Baldur's Gate is up, what are the chances of seeing the other Infinite Engine games up there?

Zeus

Cipher
Jaesun said:
I'd rather see some of the older gold box and d&d games.

Yeah, seriously.

The last time I saw Goldbox games being sold, it was around 2001, at a K-Mart. My brother picked up both of those GameFest or GameForms or whatever box sets. I think they even came with printed manuals and everything, so it was pretty cool. But we had to move around a lot and they got lost. :(

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Back when GoG had a public Wishlist, I voted for Dark Sun. It would be nice if they managed to create a version which be guaranteed not to have the "lol, sorry, no final battle" bug which a few people here have experienced (me being one of the lucky ones).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Elwro said:
Back when GoG had a public Wishlist, I voted for Dark Sun. It would be nice if they managed to create a version which be guaranteed not to have the "lol, sorry, no final battle" bug which a few people here have experienced (me being one of the lucky ones).
Isn't there an unofficial patch or something ?

Ausir

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I'd rather see some of the older gold box and d&d games.

Not very likely, unless they secure the rights from Atari, Hasbro AND Ubisoft for them.

Prosper

Educated
this has probably never been said before... but i know most of you need to hear it from me. if you want the old stuff that made the old game great so the new guys can learn from the old guys, you need to strike an agreement with steam.

GOG + Steam. thats right you need it all on the same catalogue, and i stll want the equality of them both, ok? we need to converge at this point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom