Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hi Jade, how it feels working for more than 10 years never releasing a game because every project you are in is cancelled? God is trolling you.

Also RIP Stadia, goodbye, nobody wanted you anyway.

polo

Erudite
What!???? I never expected this, im flabbergasted.
Said no one.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Only their games development went down, Stadia as a product and concept will continue to be pushed and sold. Beware the rise of games as a service, men.

Dodo1610

Magister
NOOOOOOOOO! Now we will never get to see the blandest most soulless games possible
:negative:

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Google is so trash, constantly starting new projects and then running them into the ground.
Into the trash it goes. Though, were some good products in there. But, Google being Google, the moment a project hits peak usefulness for most of its users, the company must shut it down.

DeepOcean

Arcane
taxalot hello. Your prediction about Stadia being the next big thing -- while calling us luddites -- didn't age well, did it?
This one is far more dangerous:
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-now-has-over-18-million-subscribers
Xbox Game Pass over 18 million subscribers, Xbox Live passes 100 million

Xbox Game Pass has now hit 18 million subscribers, stated Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, speaking on its FY21 Q2 earnings call. Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming network also hits a new milestone, with over 100 million monthly active users (MAUs) across all platforms.

Microsoft outlined its second-quarter financials on Tuesday, including continued success for its Xbox brand, with gaming revenue increasing 51% year-over-year. High demand for its latest gaming consoles, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, saw hardware revenue almost double with 86% growth. Xbox content and services also surged 40%, attributed to its games and subscriptions, including Xbox Game Pass.

It's the third time Microsoft has talked numbers around Xbox Game Pass, its Netflix-style gaming subscription at the heart of its content and services portfolio. It almost doubles the first reported Xbox Game Pass back figures from its FY20 Q3 earnings, previously surpassing 10 million users across Xbox and PC. It also reported 90 million Xbox Live MAUs back in April, which represents all users, rather than exclusively paying Xbox Live Gold subscribers.

vibehunter

Learned
taxalot hello. Your prediction about Stadia being the next big thing -- while calling us luddites -- didn't age well, did it?
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-now-has-over-18-million-subscribers
Xbox Game Pass over 18 million subscribers, Xbox Live passes 100 million

Xbox Game Pass has now hit 18 million subscribers, stated Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, speaking on its FY21 Q2 earnings call. Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming network also hits a new milestone, with over 100 million monthly active users (MAUs) across all platforms.

Microsoft outlined its second-quarter financials on Tuesday, including continued success for its Xbox brand, with gaming revenue increasing 51% year-over-year. High demand for its latest gaming consoles, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, saw hardware revenue almost double with 86% growth. Xbox content and services also surged 40%, attributed to its games and subscriptions, including Xbox Game Pass.

It's the third time Microsoft has talked numbers around Xbox Game Pass, its Netflix-style gaming subscription at the heart of its content and services portfolio. It almost doubles the first reported Xbox Game Pass back figures from its FY20 Q3 earnings, previously surpassing 10 million users across Xbox and PC. It also reported 90 million Xbox Live MAUs back in April, which represents all users, rather than exclusively paying Xbox Live Gold subscribers.

They marketed Gamepass really well. Not to mention it has a pretty good roster of games.

Subscriptions are not my cup of tea, but I can see why the average consumer would think it's a good deal.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Dangerous? Even if games all require a subscription, I got 10 spare bucks per month. My wallet is not in any danger.

Anyway, I only bought maybe ~10 titles in the last 5 years. I got Torrentpass.

cw8

Arbiter
Good riddance. Good riddance to every service trying to attempt to mainstream restricted game streaming.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Only their games development went down, Stadia as a product and concept will continue to be pushed and sold. Beware the rise of games as a service, men.

Yeah. Pretty much Google just now learned what Valve learned years ago: There's more money in selling other people's games than selling your own.

Bara

Magister
Dangerous? Even if games all require a subscription, I got 10 spare bucks per month. My wallet is not in any danger.

Anyway, I only bought maybe ~10 titles in the last 5 years. I got Torrentpass.

Its more of a threat in regards to preservstion or community modding.

If gamimg goes streaming your experiences will be very much locked down to what the devs/companies want you to have or do.

But meh if it happens decades of old games to always go back to.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

If gamimg goes streaming your experiences will be very much locked down to what the devs/companies want you to have or do.
Xbox does streaming? What's it called?

DeepOcean

Arcane

XCloud, the one that will replace Gamepass slowly when all the sheep find more convenient to play through stream than downloading it. The ole boiled frog strategy on the works.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
None of this would have wasted anybodys time or money if they had just listened to reason. Everyone knew this wouldn't work.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer Sad Loser
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

XCloud, the one that will replace Gamepass slowly when all the sheep find more convenient to play through stream than downloading it. The ole boiled frog strategy on the works.
There is no reason to discontinue Gamepass. They can and will run Gamepass and XCloud next to eachother.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
There is no reason to discontinue Gamepass. They can and will run Gamepass and XCloud next to eachother.

I don't think it's a huge leap to believe (and fear) that, in the future, more and more games will become available exclusively as part of streaming services (ie Stadia, XCloud) until it becomes the defacto mode of delivery.

Weak men create hard times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom