Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gop RPG Revealed, Features "Action" and "Depth"

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Action; Depth; Project RPG; Tomasz Gop

Via an article at Digital Spy, we learn that a yet unnamed action-RPG oh so mysteriously referred to as "Project RPG" and led by Tomasz Gop, a former senior producer at CD Projekt RED, has just been revealed. It features a lot of action and depth, and is inspired by the likes of Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur and Batman: Arkham City.

Project RPG has been unveiled by City Interactive and German studio Deck13.

The yet-to-be-named title will be helmed by Tomasz Gop, a former senior producer at The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings studio CD Projekt RED. Still early in development, the action role-playing game will focus specifically on player skill to progress forward, with a story that is designed to be mirror users' own actions and playstyle through its vision and ideologies.

6rF1b.jpg

The world is set 1,000 years after the death of a God, whose corpse is a mountain that splits the world into two sides, each with their own philosophy. Players will cross the border between the two sides early in the game, and must decide to align with one or the other.

The approach to combat is inspired by Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur and Batman: Arkham City, in that it features systems that are simple to grasp but filled with depth. Enemies will be designed to be recognisable not by their appearance but their behaviour and fighting style.

It has also already been confirmed to feature a New Game Plus option after completion.

Project RPG is currently entering its prototype phase, and is scheduled to be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC sometime in 2013.​

Source: Digital Spy

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The approach to combat is inspired by Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur and Batman: Arkham City, in that it features systems that are simple to grasp but filled with depth. Enemies will be designed to be recognisable not by their appearance but their behaviour and fighting style.​

:hmmm:

I think I know who I have to "thank" for the combat in TW2.

Stinger

Arcane
Players will cross the border between the two sides early in the game, and must decide to align with one or the other.

Oh god damn it, Witcher 1, Witcher 2 and now this. Can these stupid devs figure out how to do more than a binary choice? Don't give me this bullshit about your choices mattering when you're using such a simplistic system.

Esquilax

Arcane
The character system is probably going to be typical ARPG crap, but if the combat is anything like Dark Souls, then I don't really give a fuck. The setting could be cool though, but I'm concerned it might end up being very binary and simplistic. Will like to see how this progresses.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Judging by Witcher 2's combat, Dark Souls is most likely just Gop namedropping. Unless he has a particularly talented combat designer on his team.

Mrowak

Arcane
Judging by Witcher 2's combat, Dark Souls is most likely just Gop namedropping. Unless he has a particularly talented combat designer on his team.

Unfortunately folks at TW2 gameboards do believe it's on par with Dark Souls, for some reason. Same with Gop. I am so tired of hammering the truth into their heads.

made

Arcane
The approach to combat is inspired by Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur and Batman: Arkham City, in that it features systems that are simple to grasp but filled with depth. Enemies will be designed to be recognisable not by their appearance but their behaviour and fighting style.​

:hmmm:

I think I know who I have to "thank" for the combat in TW2.
I don't think a producer has a lot of influence on the creative part of game development. It's more like an overseer.

nihil

Augur
The giant god corpse thing is pretty cool

Didn't Xenoblades recently have something just like that? Pretty sure it's a JRPG-inspired thing; the Japanese love them god corpses.

Yeah. In Xenoblade, the world is the corpses of two gods who fought for an eternity.

As someone who likes a good JRPG, I was pretty hyped for that game. And then I played it and it was a boring single player WOW.

asper

Arcane
:lol: So the sales of Witcher 2 apparenty were not satisfactory...

kofeur

Liturgist
^Yeah I think that is them. I remember someone confirmed that when the game was first annouced.

The Venetica system wasn't too bad, and they had some really fun spells like the one that sent you to the limbo where you could talk to the dead...

Edit: That was a reply to abnaxus

Chuck Norris

Augur
Man, I really wish to see a fantasy RPG WITHOUT the involvement of Gods, spirits, supernatural bullshit. They always tend to make things nauseatingly cliche ridden.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Was tentatively interested until I realized this will be another Potato Production which will probably be a BSB console hack&slasher that receives disproportionate praise from the potato mafia on this site upon release.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The picture looks pretty sweet, and the dead god thing made me think of Morrowind for some reason:love:

Then I saw ARPG:decline:

I thought cdprojekt wanted to be more than your average developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom