Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got me a PSP

Alright, my above average girlfriend decided to surprise me with a PSP, so now I got one. I know that makes me a portable consoltetard by default, but I'll live with that. Anyway, what are some recommendations for PSP games? I already bought Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, since the Wii game is awesome.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
NONE LOL

Well, at least I'm not interested in any. Maybe the Lemmings remake.

Just install custom firmware, otherwise it's pretty useless. There's plenty of emulators and nothing beats playing Contra while taking a crap.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The PSP is the most shitty of all the hand held consoles of its generation with hardly any good games on it. Good luck with it. Anyway, to elevate the misery and actually contribute something, I believe the God of War game for it was considered to be good.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you're interested in dungeon crawlers, there's Class of Heroes. Japanese anime style graphics though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to playing that one, but I hear it's considered alright. Nothing special. However, instead of using speed to determine who moves first, you take turns to move all your units, then your enemy moves all of his. In that respect I'd consider it less complex than Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

One cool thing is apparently I can download PSone classics directly to the PSP. They have Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver, and I hear those praised a lot. Worth it for six bucks a pop?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Piracy is dishonest? Bullshit. It's convenient, cheap, reliable, fast and sexy.

Tycn

Savant
Just went through the savegames from my popamole days. Some of the better titles:

Half Minute Hero
Patapon 2
Manhunt 2
Burnout Legends
Pirates!
Metal Gear Solid: Potable Ops
Ace Combat X
Exit
Echochrome
Crush
Tekken, if you have some to play with
GTA Liberty City/Vice City Stories/Chinatown Wars
Me and My Katamari
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
LocoRoco

The realisation that I have bought so many console games is really quite scary. Moreso because homebrew has probably provided equal if not greater entertainment. POWDER is still by far the most enjoyable for me.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zed said:
Piracy is dishonest? Bullshit. It's convenient, cheap, reliable, fast and sexy.

Sure, keep lying to yourself, you dishonest pirate.

Tycn said:
Half Minute Hero

Ah, this is a good title. And it's a small download too unlike those AAA+ 3D games. Highly recommended.

spekkio

Arcane
Sup, raco?
Taking a break from hardcore PC-gaming (Dragon Gay & Ass Effect), are we?

:smug:

racofer

Thread Incliner
spekkio said:
Sup, raco?

BestStaredownEvermpg.gif

Razz

Educated
If you're looking for cartoony action adventures, Daxter is a must. The new Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank are also decent. If you don't have a PS3, LittleBigPlanet might also be worth it.

You can't really call these puzzlers, but LocoRoco 1 and 2 are awesome fun, Patapon is an acquired taste in a similar art style. Exit is a pretty cool action puzzler, loads of content and quite challenging. Both Lumines games and Echochrome are also worth it.

There are some pretty decent racing games on there but I can't recommend many as I don't know much about them. Burnout Legends is probably a safe bet.

Action adventures: God of War: Chains of Olympus is a must, pushes the hardware to the limit and some really fun gameplay (if you enjoy God of War, that is). The GTA's are pretty good, although very much limited in terms of mission length/gameplay possibilities (and graphics, naturally) compared to their console counterparts. MediEvil Ressurection is pretty dated by now but still fun. Also Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 if you're looking for something completely out there, or Portable Ops for some more conventional MGS stealth gameplay/story.

Ace Combat X for flight arcade stuff, Tekken: Dark Ressurection for beat'em ups.

In terms of shooters, check out Killzone: Liberation and Resistance: Retribution. The Siphon Filter's pretty good too.

If for some reason you enjoy JRPGs, there are some good remakes or ports out of golden oldies, like the two first Star Oceans and Valkyrie Profile, which is fantastic. Crisis Core is the only good FF7 spinoff, although mind that it's very anime-inspired. There's also remake out of Final Fantasy Tactics (originally for PSX), which is great.

Also use it as an emulator as others have suggested.

But yeah, PSP's totally useless if you're looking for CRPGs, RTS and FPS. Big surprise there! (it's not the greatest handheld out there, obviously, but I'd argue it DOES have some stuff worth play unlike what others have suggested)

Oh, just noticed:
One cool thing is apparently I can download PSone classics directly to the PSP. They have Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver, and I hear those praised a lot. Worth it for six bucks a pop?
If you haven't played them, very much YES. They're wonderful, wonderful games. Blood Omen might feel slightly dated but Soul Reaver holds up very well today. Some of the greatest action adventures I've played: intricate storyline, fantastic universe and atmosphere, moody music, huge open world with tons of optional stuff to do, and Soul Reaver has some brilliant environmental puzzles (although you'll have to put up with the sometimes annoying box sliding puzzles in return).

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
racofer said:
spekkio said:
Sup, raco?

BestStaredownEvermpg.gif

This looks like a game of chicken, except instead of risking physical harm, they are risking their heterosexuality. Skinhead loses because he pulls away first.

Fez

Erudite
There was no way a guy with that mustache was going to lose a homoerotic stare down.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Valkyria Chronicles 2... maybe? Didn't play it but if it's anywhere as good as the first title for PS3 then I would go for it.

Topher

Cipher
As already mentioned Lemmings is pretty good and you should get worms as well, I mean who doesn't love worms? It also has a Ghost and Goblins remake and Castlevania Symphony of the Night remake that both look good. I also liked the first card based Metal Gear game, I think it was Metal Gear Acid, I've never played another Metal Gear game but liked the little bit I played of that one.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Flying Spaghetti Monster

"Anyway, what are some recommendations for PSP games?"

Wait a bit under two months and get yourself Persona Portable. It's Persona 3 with some fixes, some revisions, some changes, two new dificulty levels, and a choice between two main characters, the first being the original Emo Guy, bringing back his storyline from Persona 3 FES with some small changes, and the second being a girl with a pretty diferent perspective on the storyline and her own revised plot scenes, social links, choices, etc. She also has a totally facepalm worthy NEON PINK user interface and completely revised OST, up and including a battle theme that manages to be both amazing and epic fail at the same time. I'm already in love with the bloody game, i am.

People who has played the japanese release tells me is pretty cool and awesome, too.

Then you also have the two *ahem* Patapon games, and one of the advantage of being a girl is that a friend and I can play those on her PSP without people thinking we went fully retarded when they weren't looking, nor that we turned to be closet faggots in the end. They are SO totally cute you are bound to have some people take them the wrong way, but they are also pretty unique and very fun if you aren't as unsure of your masculinity as to have other people's opinion of it affect you. I sure have many male friends that totally love the games but only play them when locked in their rooms, the cowards!

And then you have Class of Heroes, as Treave already said. I'm actually thinking of buying my own PlayStation Portable just because of this one and Persona Portable, i just have to find the right way to tell my dad. It's kind of like Etrian Odyssey, but cuter and with an even more totally ridiculous plot, as it is about pretty much what the title suggest. It is pretty amazing if you like Dungeon Crawlers, it is pretty stupid if you don't. It isn't as good as 7th Dragon but it is around the same level of Etrian Odyssey as far as i understand their relative awesomeness levels.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Patapon games

:(

Those games made me so sad, reminding me that I can't feel/hear/whatever the musical notes or whatever you need to hear to play them. I couldn't get past the first "training".

:(

Tycn

Savant
What happened to the kawaii writing style, kitty?

Ultima 7 is a port of the SNES version which I hear is shit. The only real advantage is that it runs at a decent framerate, unlike Exult/DOS at 10FPS. Is there any way to increase that by the way? I know, graphics whore.

No idea how to play Class of Heroes. The anime shit is annoying and I couldn't figure out to do anything. Is there some way to rest without paying massive amounts of gold?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom