Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got me a PSP

VooghKhloor

Novice
Off the top of my head...

Exult has been ported to PSP, but you'll need custom firmware for it. Of course, the controls are somewhere around horrendous, but it's playable to some extent.

The original Persona has been ported, and is a decent enough JRPG. The graphic style isn't too over top weeaboo either.

Dunno if I should be ashamed for mentioning it here, but Crisis Core was actually quite fun, though repetetive.

God of War: Chains of Olympus was quite entertaining, but rather short.

I also managed to get the TB16 version of M&M III working using an emulator, which was pretty cool.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Hobo Elf

"been a little while but I'm still battling moving fast
while you's just prattling no time for me
no tangling hit you in the spot with no angle and

I'm not a princess
(a lot of anger in it)
not a cutie girlfriend oh no
don't you know?

flashy rhymes coated with spangles
add some sounds in it
it times wangles
three dots connect to rectangles
just like music sounds connect and rambles

you cannot run away
(hell nah no man can run away)
from me I stay in your head as
one big threat

it's demolition
wiping all out
I won't go until it's over

it's coalition
pieces of wreckage
come to me
and let it be one"

:P

@ FeelTheRads

Why can't you play it? :? Do you have hearing problems or something? So sorry to bring the game up then, in any case. I totally didn't knew, i'm not very up to date on Fair Codexia's character sheets.

@ Tycn

You were all super mean jerky jerks to me so, like, you are totally undeserving of Nya Nya Neko Witch Princess' uber super duper mega hyper lovely kawaiisa thingie. And stuffies, too. Nya. T-T

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Do you have hearing problems or something? So sorry to bring the game up then, in any case

:lol:

No hearing problems. Music problems, more likely. I mean, the game tells you to follow the rhythm, but fuck me if I can make out any rhythm.

I have no rhythm and my armpits stink. :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I don't actually recall any preset rhythm myself.

Just go 1-pon, 2-pon, 3-pata, 4-pon. Once the first beat starts, you will need to wait a bar, about another 4 seconds, before you put in the next input. At least, that's how I remember doing it. Just keep count in your mind and you should be fine. I find tapping a foot helps somewhat to maintain the correct pacing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
kingcomrade said:
I would play the new version of final fantasy tactics but I don't know if you like that game.

Better off emulating the PSX version. For some reason those retards managed to fuck up the sound in the port and slide that past QA. Every combat sound effect will be delayed from the animation nearly a full second.

Which is a pity, because the new translation doesn't actually suck balls.

spekkio

Arcane
Let's hope that some kewl people will insert this new PSP script into PSX version...

Well, picked up FFT and Castlevania. Class of heroes is on the list, but I'll have to wait to get paid. I'm honestly impressed with the hardware, though. I've been playing Monster Hunter, and it's fucking beautiful, which is surprising on a handheld.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Well, picked up FFT and Castlevania.
Dracula X Chronicles? You shouldn't have. I heard that the PSP version of SotN is buggy, and Rondo of Blood has ugly 2.5D instead of the original sprites. All the good Castlevania games are on NDS.

If you like FFT (or Persona, if you get it later), give Disgaea games a go.

Dude, the Disgaea games are ridiculous amounts of grinding. I kind of liked the look of Rondo of Blood, though. Looks nice. I'm not too worried about SotN as I have that on PSone still.

Damned Registrations

People who say the disgaea series is about grinding haven't played them, just seen some stupid video or read about some moron who tried to make a perfect save game or something. You can go through the story with pretty much 0 sidequesting. But the bonus fights and shit are half the fun. If you enjoy the combat, it's not really a grind. It'd be like saying Doom makes you grind mobs just to get to the next area or something- the entire point is to have fun blowing shit up.

Tycn

Savant
Maybe not a ridiculous amount but still a shitload compared to other games, I got underlevelled enough to have to farm when playing just the story. What I hate about Japanese 'tactical' 'RPGs' is that 'tactics' tend to be much less important than grind. Sometimes even seemingly nonexistent.

Having said that, OP seems to like the weeaboo so you'll like Disgaea. Way better than FFT and with less of that fucking gay ass marching on the spot bullshit.

Black Cat said:
@ Tycn

You were all super mean jerky jerks to me so, like, you are totally undeserving of Nya Nya Neko Witch Princess' uber super duper mega hyper lovely kawaiisa thingie. And stuffies, too. Nya. T-T
:( You know I only did it for the kool kreds.

Damned Registrations

Tycn said:
Maybe not a ridiculous amount but still a shitload compared to other games, I got underlevelled enough to have to farm when playing just the story. What I hate about Japanese 'tactical' 'RPGs' is that 'tactics' tend to be much less important than grind. Sometimes even seemingly nonexistent.

Having said that, OP seems to like the weeaboo so you'll like Disgaea. Way better than FFT and with less of that fucking gay ass marching on the spot bullshit.

Black Cat said:
@ Tycn

:( You know I only did it for the kool kreds.

You must have completely ignored the geo panel or item world system or something equally retarded. 9 out of 10 maps in the game can be finished with 2 characters less than half the level of the enemies on it and some level 1 fodder to throw them around. Unless you're a gibbering idiot.

Silellak

Cipher
You need to hack your PSP, assuming you have a model and firmware where it's possible. Even if you have no interest in pirating, it's worth it just stick your UMD library on memory disc (more convenient + better load times) and for old-school emulation.

Even better, a hacked PSP can run pretty much any old PS1 game, you just have to convert your disc to a compatible format - in fact it will use the official emulator used to run PS1 games downloadable from the PSN. I put Final Fantasy Tactics and Metal Gear Solid on that way, though mostly just for the novelty of it.

Honestly I haven't touched my PSP in a good long while, but game-wise, I remember enjoying:

- Jeanne D'Arc
- God of War: Chains of Olympus
- Killzone: Liberation
- Valkyie Profile
- Me and My Katamari
- GTA: Liberty City Stories

Tycn

Savant
DamnedRegistrations said:
You must have completely ignored the geo panel or item world system or something equally retarded. 9 out of 10 maps in the game can be finished with 2 characters less than half the level of the enemies on it and some level 1 fodder to throw them around. Unless you're a gibbering idiot.
Item world was grind in my experience. Geo world is a nice mechanic and all but I'd play fucking Lumines if I wanted to just throw blocks around.

I played Disgaea when it came out for PS2, and it was okay, but I beat it and have no urge to grind to level 9999.

It seems like the PSP is pretty lacking in really good games, though. I plan on checking if the 3000 model can be hacked.

Mantiis

Cipher
Pursuit Force and Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice are quite good - stupid fun where you chase cars down, jump from car to car shooting guns and stuffs. It is a silly actiony type game which is mission based and you can jump from mission to mission without the wandering.

Mind numbingly good.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Seriously, just having the newest Monster Hunter is enough for you to put 1000+ hours into your PSP.

Patapon is a MUST PLAY. Awesome music, awesome art style, awesome gamplay and awesome graphics.

God of War is ok-ish I think. It really does push the hardware limit to extreme.

Valkyrie Profile is good.

Jeanne d'Arc is good...for the first half. You'll get bored later though.

If you like mecha, definetly play Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus. Pure awesomeness.

BTW, play TACTICS OGRE. Kicks all the wanabees like Jeanne d'Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics out of the water (though I admit I've never played farther than the 2nd stage in Tactics Ogre...just never had the time to seriously play it.)

Holy invasion of Privacy Badman and Prinny are challenging old school titles. The former is civilization rogue like and the latter is a less hetero Chakan.

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice, Killzone: Liberation, God of War, GTA, Socom games, Jeanne D'Arc are fine games but have limited replayability.

Crush is the only deep cut besides the aforementioned Prinny and Badman that is worth tracking down.

I'll recommend Gran Turismo Portable if you like racing and Monster Hunter. That's essentially what it is.

There's always some shit flowing in from Japan that's interesting. Keep your eye open and you might be surprised.

denizsi

Arcane
Tycn said:
What happened to the kawaii writing style, kitty?

Ultima 7 is a port of the SNES version which I hear is shit. The only real advantage is that it runs at a decent framerate, unlike Exult/DOS at 10FPS. Is there any way to increase that by the way? I know, graphics whore.

No idea how to play Class of Heroes. The anime shit is annoying and I couldn't figure out to do anything. Is there some way to rest without paying massive amounts of gold?

She was ass-similated, brutally.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
I played Disgaea when it came out for PS2, and it was okay, but I beat it and have no urge to grind to level 9999.

It seems like the PSP is pretty lacking in really good games, though. I plan on checking if the 3000 model can be hacked.

There is only a soft-hack available for 3000 models, i.e. you will have to keep your unit on standby, or activate the hack all over again if you switch the handheld off and on.

But it's not a tough hack. I use ChickHEN R2 myself with the latest CFW.

Tycn

Savant
Yeah, you just have to hibernate instead of turning it off, which you'd want to do anyway. I have the glorious 1000 but did it for some friends.

Sonic The Hedgehog said:
There's always some shit flowing in from Japan. Keep your eye open and you'll get shit in your eye.
Fixed.

also, lots of closet consoletards ITT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom