Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic 3 gone gold

Educated
Anonytroll said:
The very important country of Liechtenstein. Plus parts of Belgium, the Netherlands, and Poland.
Err, what?
In this country everything remotely resembling german is despised.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
St. Toxic said:
Inziladun said:
if they have a UK version available, is it really neccesary to make another version where they're speaking Americanese?

Not everyone can stand those posh accents.

Aye, coz everyone knows we all speak reet posh over ere.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Bluebottle said:
St. Toxic said:
Inziladun said:
if they have a UK version available, is it really neccesary to make another version where they're speaking Americanese?

Not everyone can stand those posh accents.

Aye, coz everyone knows we all speak reet posh over ere.
Maybe it has something to do with differing censorship? Or maybe I'm drunk. Maybe both. If we have lighters to light cigarettes,why don't we have darkers to put them out?

Dhruin

Liturgist
There is no specific official US release date that has been revealed. Aspyr lists "Fall 2006", while JoWood lists "November 2006". November has been widely repeated, so that looks the current bet.

I'm grabbing mine from the UK because I don't trust Australian distributors.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
[Jez] said:
We did have the Germans to beta test last time round and the last videos where quite jerky so I'm a little worried, but damnit its Gothic so I'm gonna rely on blind faith :lol:
Actually, according to fans who were around for the original release of Gothic and Gothic 2, you should put your faith in the game being practically unplayable until the second or third patch. :p

Anonytroll

Novice
27 said:
Err, what?
In this country everything remotely resembling german is despised.
There's still a somewhat sizeable German minority, especially in Opole. They're even guaranteed a certain number of seats in the parliament, although that has recently been called into question.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Inziladun said:
Gone gold... already? And if they have a UK version available, is it really neccesary to make another version where they're speaking Americanese? Anyway, looks like i'm going to be importing a game for the first time.

I'd say slang would have to be changed, but with the setting that doesn't matter. It's probably just the wacky censorship stuff to get into the big retail stores here though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, 27, you're like totally mistaken. This is a helpful reference on the subject.

We can have an antigerman and antisemitic (both at the same time!) government, but this doesn't mean we're all dickheads.

suibhne

Erudite
YAY! Between this news and the Nintendo press conference tomorrow, I think my other testicle will be dropping any day now.

Data4

Arcane
Inziladun said:
Gone gold... already? And if they have a UK version available, is it really neccesary to make another version where they're speaking Americanese? Anyway, looks like i'm going to be importing a game for the first time.

Duh... didn't you get the memo? All fantasy characters must speak with a British accent (unless played by Kevin Costner). :)

Anyway, gonna wait for some of you guys to guinea pig it for me before I commit.

-D4

Data4

Arcane
suibhne said:
Data4 said:
Anyway, gonna wait for some of you guys to guinea pig it for me before I commit.

I nobly volunteer to take that bullet for you, good sir.

Great! I look forward to your impressions. If it's good, I'll buy it. If it's great, I'll buy two copies as penance for buying the Oblivion CE, and because smaller developers may be our saving grace for RPGs.

-D4

Twinfalls

Erudite
This is the sauce of awesome.

edit: hasty release date spouting REMOVERED!

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
All fantasy characters must speak with a British accent (unless played by Kevin Costner).

More specifically:

Peasantry speak in a thick Cornish accent (Fable)
Nobel Folk talk posh Queen's English
Dwarves talk like Scots
and Beggars or evil races talk like Cockneys

One day, when I'm innevitably making that fabulous world shattering RPG of everyones dreams :)roll:) I'm going to stick a Brummy in there and a race of Scousers, just for the 1NN0VASHUN!!1!.

Ladonna

Arcane
Games Warehouse here in Aus states October 14....They like to slip dates back though.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:
Bluebottle said:
All fantasy characters must speak with a British accent (unless played by Kevin Costner).
Dwarves talk like Scots

Hideously fake ones that make your ears bleed.

That's goes for pretty much all immitated accents really.

Oblivion's rediculous beggars for instance
"Spare us a coin guv-nahhh"
It's like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, all over again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Data4 said:
I'll get it as soon as I can (the UK version most likely) and post some impressions within a week. It would take at least 4 weeks of playing to write a review though.

Educated
Anonytroll said:
There's still a somewhat sizeable German minority, especially in Opole. They're even guaranteed a certain number of seats in the parliament, although that has recently been called into question.
It's always nice to discover sth about your own country on foreign forums about RPGs. It just seemed to me that if every "german" thing is hated on Silesia (where I live - well, almost) - it would be a lot worse in other parts of the country.

But back to G3. So are there going to be separate american and british versions? I.e. with different voices and slightly changed dialogue?

PS. Elwro - you sick bastard :wink:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ehm considering the germans in all Poland are are ~300k minority located mainly in a single area of the country, you can not really say that parts of Poland are german speaking...

Not even to mention that many of them can't really speak proper german anymore. Ive seen the represantative of the german minority in the polish parliament giving an interview to german television...well, yeah, what can I say. I have seen many ethnic poles speaking better german then him.

Also, the majority of those people hardly fall into the target audience of computer games...

Anonytroll

Novice
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Ehm considering the germans in all Poland are are ~300k minority located mainly in a single area of the country, you can not really say that parts of Poland are german speaking...
Of course I can. I didn't say that those were big parts, did I?

Not even to mention that many of them can't really speak proper german anymore. Ive seen the represantative of the german minority in the polish parliament giving an interview to german television...well, yeah, what can I say. I have seen many ethnic poles speaking better german then him.
Have you listened to the average Bavarian (especially Edmund "problem bear" Stoiber)? Or, hell, what about the majority of our football players? Considering those, it can't really be that bad.

More on topic, I'm probably going to get Gothic 3 when it is out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom