Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic 3 gone gold

Monolith said:
HAHA, almost the same situation we had when Gothic 2 was released. Damn pigfuckers think they can release a buggy version once again? Hell, they are probably right because there will be enough dickriders to buy it right away. I probably won't. Next year perhaps.

Ergh. I'm on a tight budget, and I have to buy either Gothic 3 or NWN2 and leave the other until Christmas. I was going to get Gothic 3 first, but if this is accurate...

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Thankfully I'm studying abroad in Lancaster this semester! Has anyone heard if the european version of the game will be any different than the Americas version?

Oh and on the topic of popularity of the series...I'm sometimes if the lack of success in the US might somewhat be attributed to the name of the game. I can't think of how many times my friends have seen me play the game, asked the name, and then given me a strange look...you know that look most normal people make whenever they see a person with black makeup, black clothes, and pale skin in either the supermarket, bookstore, theater, etc. Goth or Gothic just doesn't register as anything good over in the US unless you consider yourself apart or close to that subgroup or stereotype. It's something to consider.

Ladonna

Arcane
True. It is worth considering that people in the US need extra education. :lol:

Whats with this patch thing? Can any of the Jugend here tell me how bad G2 was before it was patched? (here we had to wait and got the patch included).

Just as an aside, what the hell happened to 'The Fall'? I thought that thing would be released in english a year ago. Is it a decent game anyway?

Monolith

Prophet
Ladonna said:
Whats with this patch thing? Can any of the Jugend here tell me how bad G2 was before it was patched? (here we had to wait and got the patch included).
It crashed more often than not - to such an extent that it was unplayable. I don't know how many bugs it had because like I said, it was unplayable. I know of some serious questbugs though - the game could be finished nonetheless.

Just as an aside, what the hell happened to 'The Fall'? I thought that thing would be released in english a year ago. Is it a decent game anyway?
Forget about The Fall. The devs seem not to care. The English forum is more or less dead because the devs simply ignore it. The lead designer said that they are negotiating with one or some publishers - but as that was about a year ago...
The game is bullshit anyway so the best you can do is not giving a fuck about it.

denizsi

Arcane
"I was in the chess club at school, now look at me." and,
"I have a picture of Picard in my wallet, my wife would kill me."

I expected one of the devs to come out saying "I have a dildo up in my ass which is an authentic replica of Picard's dick".

I bouth OB CE, only because it was exactly the same price as the regular OB and even then it was cheap. I'll decide whether to buy G3 or not after I read a few reviews at the Codex.

By the way, does anyone else think that environments hand-crafted polygon-by-polgon definitely pay off? I felt that way with the Gothic games; places always seemed to retain some character and judging from the videos, G3 seems to be so as well. Hopefully it will.

Jon

Scholar
denizsi said:
I bouth OB CE, only because it was exactly the same price as the regular OB and even then it was cheap. I'll decide whether to buy G3 or not after I read a few reviews at the Codex.

Did you apply this test to your purchase of Oblivion? If so, how bad would the reviews have to be for you not to buy it?

denizsi

Arcane
I'm afraid I didn't. I didn't expect anything great from the game, I just thought it would be decent enough to play and my main motivation in buying it was modding.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Monolith said:
[The Fall]
The game is bullshit anyway so the best you can do is not giving a fuck about it.
It's not bullshit.. it's just an unworthy Fallout/JA spin-off that got to much hype. I bought the Reloaded-Edition, well patched out of the box, so I don't have any grudges about what they fucked up with first release.
It's real-time with pause combat, bad. It's 3d with annoying interface, bad. But it's better than most advertised "cRPG" getting released nowadays. The atmosphere is ok, the weapons and skills are ok, the quests (I played for about 10 hours so far) are ok and the voice output (in German version) is pretty good. For ten eurobucks.. nothing really wrong with it.

Monolith

Prophet
Frau Bishop said:
It's not bullshit.. it's just an unworthy Fallout/JA spin-off that got to much hype. I bought the Reloaded-Edition, well patched out of the box, so I don't have any grudges about what they fucked up with first release.
Way too much hype. It has nothing to do with the promises which were made or with what the box tells you: tactical combat, non-linearity, interacting party-npcs? Nope, not in The Fall.

It's real-time with pause combat, bad.
That bad has to be a "BAAD" as combat is plainly boring and because combat is what the game centers on.

It's 3d with annoying interface, bad. But it's better than most advertised "cRPG" getting released nowadays. The atmosphere is ok, the weapons and skills are ok, the quests (I played for about 10 hours so far) are ok and the voice output (in German version) is pretty good. For ten eurobucks.. nothing really wrong with it.
I don't know. I wouldn't buy it even for ten bucks. It bored me to death and I really had to push myself to play on. The story isn't absorbing enough to keep me playing.Neither quests (too many FedEx-quests), nor combat, nor interaction, nor game play keeps me playing. Atmosphere is alright though, I have to give you that.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Seems too early, considering all the issues the preview versions reportedly had. I'm accordingly a little concerned about quality of content and stability, but the first few reviews should clear that up pretty soon. Worst case scenario should be having to wait for the first few patches...

denizsi

Arcane
Gothic 3 back from gold:

On September 12th we have shipped a Goldmaster version of Gothic 3 for replication. However, due to several problems that got known only afterwards no production has taken place, instead we decided to create another, new goldmaster.
This new master is currently (Sep 21st) still being worked on!
Therefore, no one has had any access to the version that will start selling on October 13th in various European territories.
No testing (by external persons) of this version can have been done. All test results that have been published up to now are based on the scrapped goldmaster or in many cases on even older preview versions.

link

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Never heard something like that before. How embarassing. But still good for them they try to fix what needs fixing, but to me this sounds like they have some serious problems with their QA.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
It's better that they fix it. I don't think it really matters at this point since they are still shooting for Oct. 13th release.

denizsi

Arcane
The honesty is touching in my opinion. They could've just said some PR shit like "no it wasn't really shipped, it was scheduled but we had some problems with the retailers" or "shipment got blown up by muslim radicals!". I'm sure there are many devs who do, or are forced to do that kind of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom