Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic 3 gone gold

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anonytroll said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Ehm considering the germans in all Poland are are ~300k minority located mainly in a single area of the country, you can not really say that parts of Poland are german speaking...
Of course I can. I didn't say that those were big parts, did I?
Well mentioning them in the same line as other countries who are mainly speaking german, you create the impression that those parts are considerable.

But yes lets go back to topic. Who cares anyways.

Nedrah

Erudite
I'm currently busy replaying G2 NOTR.
It has aged really nicely (although a lot of people would propably disagree) and the setting and style still do it for me just fine. I can't wait to jump into the next episode of this saga - mainland here I come..! I seriously hope it will stay as unforgiving and atmospheric as it was before.

Between this and Supreme Commander - I doubt I'll be as bored with games as I've been for some time now any more.

Texas Red

Whiner
Nedrah said:
I'm currently busy replaying G2 NOTR.
It has aged really nicely (although a lot of people would propably disagree) and the setting and style still do it for me just fine. I can't wait to jump into the next episode of this saga - mainland here I come..! I seriously hope it will stay as unforgiving and atmospheric as it was before.

Between this and Supreme Commander - I doubt I'll be as bored with games as I've been for some time now any more.

Dont forget NWN 2!

Anyway, is it me or do you too feel that it was a bad decision to release Gothic 3 first in Europe and then every where else in November. It will be illegally downloaded to death during its stay in Europe.

Anonytroll

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
Anyway, is it me or do you too feel that it was a bad decision to release Gothic 3 first in Europe and then every where else in November. It will be illegally downloaded to death during its stay in Europe.
Happens all the time when they are released in the USA first. Nothing unusual, I'd say.

Nedrah

Erudite
Yep, either you release it worldwide or you have people pirating your game because they don't see why they should "miss out". Since G3 is not about multiplayer it'll likely be pirated heavily anyways - I'm sure the devs are aware of that fact and I wouldn't be surprised at all if initial torrents etc were monitored quite heavily.

suibhne

Erudite
The just-release Aspyr interview makes it sound like localization has already been done. It's even possible that Aspyr did all of the English localization, for a combined American/International English version - who knows. Also fwiw, stores around here are listing the release date as only a week behind the Euro date, tho obviously that's highly suspect.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Back on topic, my impression was that half of the Western Poland wanted to get German citizenship to earn more money abroad. I really wouldn't say that in Poland "everything remotely resembling German is despised."

FrancoTAU

Cipher
You guys still holding a grudge from WW2 or something? Luckily, my great grandparents left Warsaw for NYC right after WW1.

Ladonna

Arcane
Its the usual thing. Tribes.

Bit like NSW and Queensland. or NSW and Victoria...but worse.

Shannow

Waster of Time
of course there are old grudges between poland and germany. but those were actually healing and hopefully will continue to heal. regretfully there are always people who generalize: all germans are nazis, all poles just come over to steal cars, german companies take over polish companies, polish workers take over german jobs. stuff like that.

the polish president also seems to be quite anti-german and the german president(no executive power) just recently gave a speech to germans who were driven from their homes in regions that now belong to poland. that is always great material for strife ;)

now on topic:
since gothic 3 is hopefully not aimed at the casual player but real gamers, i do hope for them that it will not be pirated too much.
i'll probably wait till next spring before buying it, since my computer at the moment is simply not sufficient ^^

jeansberg

Liturgist
since gothic 3 is hopefully not aimed at the casual player but real gamers, i do hope for them that it will not be pirated too much.
I'd say that "real gamers" know how to pirate software better than 'casual players' who buy their games at Walmart.

Nedrah

Erudite
Yeah, don't tell me there's even one regular codex poster who would be unable to retrieve a new game through the obvious illegal channels if he really wanted to.
However, those "real gamers" might actually be gratefull enough for geting something that doesn't suck to consider actually supporting the company.

Shannow

Waster of Time
However, those "real gamers" might actually be gratefull enough for geting something that doesn't suck to consider actually supporting the company.
exactly.
a friend of mine offered me oblivion. i wouldn't even have had to download it. i didn't take it. it sounded like morrowind which i played until all my stats were on 100. that took quite a while...but oblivion didn't improve on anything but graphics. the lvl scaling system in my opinion is stupid. it makes levels obsolete.
so while oblivion is a game made for a mainstream market and sold thousands if not millions of copies and was probably pirated as much as bought, i wouldn't play it if you gave it to me as a present. for gothic 3 on the other hand i'm prepared to pay 40 €, if the reviews turn out to be ok.
if you don't buy the rpgs you like, the future of rpgs will be oblivion (pun intended).

Nedrah

Erudite
I'd be careful to base that decision on the reviews.
PB is a more or less obscure german developer who may or may or may not have the funds left to "encourage" some enthusiastic reviews with the mighty $$$ in the form of big advertisments and little goodies for the reviewer.

franc kaos

Liturgist
G3 piracy, I'm def. gonna buy it; a) to support the devs and b) (or most importantly), the cloth map coming with the more expensive edition - still got my Ultima7 cloth map tho' I lost 'the fellowship' medallion. So much better than a stupid faux gold coin and an embarrassing 'making of video', ie;
"I was in the chess club at school, now look at me." and,
"I have a picture of Picard in my wallet, my wife would kill me."

elander_

Arbiter
Im going to buy this game original too. It's probably the only original game im going to buy this year on release but we have to support good software houses. I usualy don't buy collector editions because they don't put anything interesting enough in there to justify the extra money.

suibhne

Erudite
Nedrah said:
I'd be careful to base that decision on the reviews.
PB is a more or less obscure german developer who may or may or may not have the funds left to "encourage" some enthusiastic reviews with the mighty $$$ in the form of big advertisments and little goodies for the reviewer.

You're joking, right? PB is one of the biggest-name German developers and well-known to computer gamers throughout Europe. Just because they're not American doesn't mean they're not a big deal.

Aspyr's generally done a solid job with their foray into the PC market (from the Mac market originally), and I hope they really deliver with Gothic 3. This is their chance for a solid-gold rep as a PC game publisher in the States.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not to mention that G3 has been well hyped in NA. It's been hyped just as much as the other two big RPGs of '06 known as NWN2, and Oblivion. It's friggin' everywhere!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whipporowill said:
Suh-weet. Now let's just hope it's playable out of the box and not bugridden so we hace to wait for some kind of hasty patch...
I mean to reply that I hope there'll be a patch on release day. And now I know:

http://gothicz.net/ said:
We have really exclusive information for you. Thanks to Gaspy and his invaluable help we managed to catch Kurt Pelzer, Piranha Bytes programmer, @ ICQ.

Kurt was relatively unreserved and on our question "Are all bugs fixed?" he answered: "Yes, all major bugs are fixed. And in addition there will be patch on 13th October."

Monolith

Prophet
HAHA, almost the same situation we had when Gothic 2 was released. Damn pigfuckers think they can release a buggy version once again? Hell, they are probably right because there will be enough dickriders to buy it right away. I probably won't. Next year perhaps.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL They already have a schedule in place for the first patch. L0LLERZ!

franc kaos

Liturgist
elander_ said:
Im going to buy this game original too. It's probably the only original game im going to buy this year on release but we have to support good software houses. I usualy don't buy collector editions because they don't put anything interesting enough in there to justify the extra money.
This'll be my first CE game ever (I DL'd the Oblivion 'making of' vid just out of a morbid curiousity). The cloth map with Ultima7 came with the original basic game sold to everyone. I did buy Oblivion (even after playing with the DL'd version), but it will be my last Bethesda game I buy - unless a bomb kills all the current employees and they get replaced with the original crew; not because of what they did to the elder scrolls (everyone's allowed to make mistakes and want more money), but their attitude to everyone over the age of twelve just sucks.

They could easily have kept game complexity up whilst offering an optional help system and GPS that would've been on by default, and what in Gods name happened to the brilliant book writing and lore? 400 books my arse! more like 75 new books and 325 taken from MW.

As for the patch on release date, at least we've now got the option to DL it straight away, when I bought Elite III: Frontier (day of release) it didn't work. Phoned the company (Gametek) up, who said they had a patch and would post it to me - three days before I could play the game at all. Mind you, Gametek also sold the abomination that was Derek Smarts Battlecruiser 3k here in the UK.

Oh yea, the reason for my post: My third reason for buying Gothic3 - they are not using Starforce protection - whether bona fide protection software or malicious rootkit invader they're never getting on my computer.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Just like with every other PC title. Reviewers don't even blame developers for it anymore, just look at what Gamespot did with their Company of Heroes review (first 8.9 and then 9.0 because there was a fix for actually a very "rare" issue).

Monolith

Prophet
Ryuken said:
Volourn said:
Just like with every other PC title. Reviewers don't even blame developers for it anymore, just look at what Gamespot did with their Company of Heroes review (first 8.9 and then 9.0 because there was a fix for actually a very "rare" issue).
It's even worse nowadays. Because every patch-release is praised by all major gaming-sites releasing patches is good publicity and just another henchman of PR guys. It looks like a bugfree release is bad marketing today. There's no reason to do without the free publicity as there are enough stupid dickheads buying extremely buggy versions of games (and praise the devs for every fucking patch they release).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom