Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 Sucks

vazquez595654

Arbiter
The major three German print mags, GameStar, PC Games and PC Powerplay have reviewed the first Gold Master of Gothic 3 in their current issues, all coming to the conclusion, that it was unplayable bugridden. While PC Powerplay refrained from giving out an actual rating, GameStar and PC Games rated it in the mid 80s.
Nothing uncommon these days, I'm afraid, but I wonder, a) if Gothic will suffer the same public punishment as Dungeon Lords and b) how on earth anyone seriously could call the first Gold Master Gold for public?!

http://rpgdot.com/#50994

golgotha

Liturgist
On September 12th we have shipped a Goldmaster version of Gothic 3 for replication. However, due to several problems that got known only afterwards no production has taken place, instead we decided to create another, new goldmaster.
This new master is currently (Sep 21st) still being worked on!
Therefore, no one has had any access to the version that will start selling on October 13th in various European territories.
No testing (by external persons) of this version can have been done. All test results that have been published up to now are based on the scrapped goldmaster or in many cases on even older preview versions.
Link

obediah

Erudite
golgotha said:
On September 12th we have shipped a Goldmaster version of Gothic 3 for replication. However, due to several problems that got known only afterwards no production has taken place, instead we decided to create another, new goldmaster.
This new master is currently (Sep 21st) still being worked on!
Therefore, no one has had any access to the version that will start selling on October 13th in various European territories.
No testing (by external persons) of this version can have been done. All test results that have been published up to now are based on the scrapped goldmaster or in many cases on even older preview versions.
Link

No free ridez!!!1111!!!eleventy!

Gothic 3 will be a bugfest at launch.

Direwolf

Arcane
Mid 80s scores is way too far from a game being sucky. What the fuck did they want? 100% from every single reviewer?

stargelman

Scholar
Direwolf said:
Mid 80s scores is way too far from a game being sucky. What the fuck did they want? 100% from every single reviewer?
I believe it is customary noadays to award at least 120% to a decent game.

Monolith

Prophet
I skimmed through the PC Games review yesterday and...ehh...oh wonder, I can't remember a single word of it. I got the overall impression though, that it's great, besides being buggy as hell, having long loading times and lagging as fuck on high-end PCs.

Twinfalls

Erudite
One thing which even the Codex will find very difficult to deny is that Gothic 3 will sell more - possibly a lot more - as a result of Bethesda and Oblivion.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
One thing which even the Codex will find very difficult to deny is that Gothic 3 will sell more - possibly a lot more - as a result of Bethesda and Oblivion.

Why do you think that? I don't think gothic is on xbox, is it?

EvoG aside, I think most pc players hated it. Fuck, even FRANKIE hated it! And stargelman. LOL.

Anyone who did both xbox and pc gaming would get the pc version, aside from a few loons who got both just to compare.

If oblivion does anything, it's knock out the people who do have any intelligence from gaming. If I picked up my first 'RPG' and it was oblivion instead of whatever it was, then I would never have stopped building weapons of mass destruction in my spare time...!

Jim Kata said:
If I picked up my first 'RPG' and it was oblivion instead of whatever it was, then I would never have stopped building weapons of mass destruction in my spare time...!

I don't know... mine was Quest 64/Holy Magic Century.

Data4

Arcane
Monolith said:
I skimmed through the PC Games review yesterday and...ehh...oh wonder, I can't remember a single word of it. I got the overall impression though, that it's great, besides being buggy as hell, having long loading times and lagging as fuck on high-end PCs. (emphasis added. -D4

My understanding is that the only load screen we will see is on starting the game. Everything else is supposed to be steamed seamlessly in the background. Hell, I wouldn't mind a 5 minute initial load if it means it's only one time per session. That's enough time to get the coffee going and a snack made.

-D4

Ladonna

Arcane
I am more worried about the combat model.

As the germans have told us here, all the gothics were full of insect life straight from the shelf. After patches the games were very nice (besides the gothic 1 wheel bug, which I never had..).

But can you change a combat model? I know a lot of people probably didn't like the gothic way of battle, but I loved it once I learned how to do it.

Monolith

Prophet
Data4 said:
My understanding is that the only load screen we will see is on starting the game. Everything else is supposed to be steamed seamlessly in the background. Hell, I wouldn't mind a 5 minute initial load if it means it's only one time per session. That's enough time to get the coffee going and a snack made.

-D4
Are you sure? From what I remember there will be loading times between regions. I don't know how the 'regionalisation' will take place in Gothic 3 though, so it's absolutely possible that you're right and that I'm wrong. I hope so.

Ladonna said:
I am more worried about the combat model.

As the germans have told us here, all the gothics were full of insect life straight from the shelf. After patches the games were very nice (besides the gothic 1 wheel bug, which I never had..).

But can you change a combat model? I know a lot of people probably didn't like the gothic way of battle, but I loved it once I learned how to do it.
That's just hearsay, but from what I know the combat system is quite adjustable - to such an extent that it can come close to the original combat system we know from Gothic 2.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Data4 said:
Hell, I wouldn't mind a 5 minute initial load if it means it's only one time per session. That's enough time to get the coffee going and a snack made.

Ahhh.. the good old times. Never minded waiting some minutes to start up the game I would play the next 8 hours. :)

Higher Game

Arcane
By the time the game is patched up and good mods are out, there should be some nice new graphics cards coming out around Vista's release. I'll buy this when it comes out for moral support of good RPGs, though, even though I won't be able to play it for a while.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Bugs and lack of optimization are puny dings on the +5 vs Bad Programming armour that all battle hardened CRPG gamers wear.

Higher Game said:
By the time the game is patched up and good mods are out, there should be some nice new graphics cards coming out around Vista's release. I'll buy this when it comes out for moral support of good RPGs, though, even though I won't be able to play it for a while.

Mods? It has a CS? Win.

denizsi

Arcane
I read in Yahoo preview, not different combat modes but fighting "stances" different for every weapon, like the "guards" as in real medieval fighting, you know. It was in Yahoo Preview.

Yahoo preview said:
If you left click while holding down right click, you'll do a special attack. A regular right click will change your stance based on what you're wielding.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamepreview ... eid=483129

At least that's how I interpret it. If it indeed is so and it has a meaning resembling guards of medieval fighting, then it sounds like great.

Since left and right mouse buttons are reserved to these actions, it might be possible that there's no wimpy "block" action but you simply do the appropriate attack to counter an incoming blow, again, kind of like how it is supposed to be in real medieval fighting. I admit to wishful thinking here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom