Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Except you keep posting about how you uninstall games because of controls. Therefore you are a casual retard and a newfag.

Oh yeah, like that time I complained about... Gothic, and no other game.

I know right?
And it feels like you are controlling a tank, wtf were they thinking?!
Fucking Eurotrash is all this is.

Sorry folks, but you really have to admit that this crap just can't compete with today's standards for melee fighting games.
Just compare this clunky mess to something as fluid as Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed is sure a funny way to refer to Morrowind, which came one year after Gothic and had useful mouse support, for a change. Better animations, fluid combat, etc., I don't give a crap about it. I just want decent controls, which includes mouse support since there's a fucking mouse right there on my computer.

I begin to understand how the "great RPG" criteria works in the Codex.

1) Grab a random RPG.
2) Give it a shitty UI, shit controls, or something really annoying.
3) 10/10 Top 70 RPGs.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Combat in Gothic atleast required some skill. In Gothic positioning and timing your blocks/attacks matters while in morrowind you just yolo forward smashing lmb and it just works!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Combat in Gothic atleast required some skill. In Gothic positioning and timing your blocks/attacks matters while in morrowind you just yolo forward smashing lmb and it just works!

No one criticized combat in Gothic, just the poor decision of lacking proper mouse support. Why do people are so against people criticizing valid points?

Cromwell

Arcane

No one criticized combat in Gothic, just the poor decision of lacking proper mouse support. Why do people are so against people criticizing valid points?

It took me about 5 Minutes to get with the controls and fistfight a scavenger, because I am an Idiot and noticed the sword only after I killed it. Mouse lets me move and move the camera whats the problem here? Only problem I had so far is that sometimes the controls get weird and it doenst react to key presses anymore I dont know if thats a game specific bug or has something to do with the graphic stuff I installed.

I get that its not up to par now,but I find it serviceable.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Also you can install system pack and play it with keyboard+mouse like any other third person actionrpg.
Eh..? Pretty sure mouse look was in the game from the get go. Maybe there are some options that needed to be toggled, but i don't remember installing any mods for that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have no idea why people go on about the controls. It took me about five minutes to acclimate myself to them at the start of the game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
honestly i had trouble getting into gothic too, got to the old camp, and "the hell, this sucks!"
i put it away for a good few month, out of curiosity, i give it a chance again, and little tweak so it work better with mouse. it is one of my favorite game ever now

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Funny, i never even thought of that. And people say it doesn't have ''proper mouse control''. It's as if we've played different issues of the game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That's cool. On the other hand, the criteria for "graet RPG" to newfags is:

Does it play itself? Yes? Great game! No? Uninstall.

I didn't judge Gothic as an RPG, I only said it has shit controls and apparently a lot of people think shit controls make an RPG great. Protip: it doesn't, shit controls by definition means there are better controls, and better is always good.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Except you keep posting about how you uninstall games because of controls. Therefore you are a casual retard and a newfag.

Oh yeah, like that time I complained about... Gothic, and no other game.

I know right?
And it feels like you are controlling a tank, wtf were they thinking?!
Fucking Eurotrash is all this is.

Sorry folks, but you really have to admit that this crap just can't compete with today's standards for melee fighting games.
Just compare this clunky mess to something as fluid as Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed is sure a funny way to refer to Morrowind, which came one year after Gothic and had useful mouse support, for a change. Better animations, fluid combat, etc., I don't give a crap about it. I just want decent controls, which includes mouse support since there's a fucking mouse right there on my computer.

I begin to understand how the "great RPG" criteria works in the Codex.

1) Grab a random RPG.
2) Give it a shitty UI, shit controls, or something really annoying.
3) 10/10 Top 70 RPGs.

dcnIxue.png

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think Gothic 1 and 2 hold up pretty well even with the keyboard controls. While the lock on camera can be annoying when fighting goblins, I really liked how arrow keys controlled attack direction and how you had to time your attacks just right to perform combos. Your attack animations changing every time you upgrade your weapon skills was a nice touch too.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
They had some faith in that players won't turn intocomplete casualised retards. Well... look at it now.

>demanding good controls makes you a casual retard

This is what nostalgiafags actually believe.

And Fallout I, the darling of the Codex, has the worst controls ever, yet nobody ever mentions it just because.

lol no. Fallout 1 has much better controls. Even WASTELAND has better controls than Gothic, and it's a game where you must memorize controls as fast as possible if you don't want to use the mouse every single time to perform an action.

Wasteland. WASTELAND. A game which you could perfectly play without using a mouse, yet it give you a mouse that allowed you to do everything you could do with a keyboard. What's Gothic's excuse, other than so hardcore?

Hey, man, come here. Do you see that?

>

This is meme arrow. We generally don't use those outside of 4chan. Most of people think it as good taste to keep that there. And just in case that you hail from that place - this isn't 4chan. Just reminder.

Then, if you are so inclined, sir, tell us what game have good/best controls then Gothic. So far you only pointed at Wastelands.

UglyBastard

Arcane
You should realize that the initial combat is INTENTIONALLY clunky as fuck.

You have no combat training whatsoever and your character sux at everything. Better stick to killing small animals, talking nicely to your superiors and maybe giving a blowjob or two if the gardists demand it (+10 XP).
The combat is also timing based, if you press a key when you haven't finished your swing, you will stand around awkwardly for a moment which usually results in eating dust.

The first thing I do in about every Gothic or Gothic II playthrough is spend my learning points immediately for an upgrade of my 1handed skills. You get better animations when you are trained in combat and are able to swing faster, less awkwardly and do forward combos. It makes the game so much easier and more responsive as it is meant that way. Untrained fighting feels like shit because you are shit.

If you have a problem with moving around in general, you should maybe end yourself.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Also you can install system pack and play it with keyboard+mouse like any other third person actionrpg.
Eh..? Pretty sure mouse look was in the game from the get go. Maybe there are some options that needed to be toggled, but i don't remember installing any mods for that.

Yeah but without the system pack, mouse controls are clunky as fuck. System Pack turns off the 20 fps-lock (which improves the responsivity by lightyears), fastens camerascrolling with your mouse and adds some more minor tweaks to it.

Its still not perfect because its still a bit spongy, but its definitely tolerable.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Guess i will have to try that one out. :timetoreinstall:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom